Hello All

Would like to build an F-104G in 1/48 scale. (Belgian Airforce version.)

What is the best kit around. I know that Daco Decals (Danny Cooremans) has some supersets for correcting the Hasegawa kit, but is

this realy the best kit around at the moment?

Best regards and have a nice weekend

Peter

Yes the Hasegawa kit is the best in 1/48. Danny's set adds the pylons and more stuff to hang from it, the wings in the kit have the right shape but are a little short in chord and have a lot of recessed rivets when they should be flush and filled.

Don

Yup you hit the nail on the head. At the moment the Hasegawa kit is the way to go in 1/48th. The only issue i have is the over abundance of rivets on the surface of all the parts. This is especially a problem on the wings. The real aircraft had the rivets on the wing filled so they barely show up. Well I take that back. There are some rivets on the wing that are visible but those are for the access panels that are used for maintenance.

To this day I honestly believe that Hasegawa did not mould this kit with their usual shop but it was someone else and Hasegawa bought the moulds. It did not seem to have that Hasegawa style of moulding.

Also, the Daco set is very nice and really fixes a lot of stuff with the kit as well as provide missing items that only make the kit better.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:17 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Yup you hit the nail on the head. At the moment the Hasegawa kit is the way to go in 1/48th. The only issue i have is the over abundance of rivets on the surface of all the parts. This is especially a problem on the wings. The real aircraft had the rivets on the wing filled so they barely show up. Well I take that back. There are some rivets on the wing that are visible but those are for the access panels that are used for maintenance.

To this day I honestly believe that Hasegawa did not mould this kit with their usual shop but it was someone else and Hasegawa bought the moulds. It did not seem to have that Hasegawa style of moulding.

Also, the Daco set is very nice and really fixes a lot of stuff with the kit as well as provide missing items that only make the kit better.

Can’t say I agree Chris, those dimples were visible. The wings were not completely smooth. The putty shrunk.

I also think it is a typical Hasegawa mold.