Wolfpak June 2018

13 hours ago, Greenghost said:

How does that feel? Eh, eh? 😎

From a 1/72 modeller...🍻

I understand your sentiment completely! But it happens more than you know. 1/72 has so much diversity of subjects. As a 1/48 NavAir guy, I've been jealous of all the subjects you have that we in the larger scale don't. We've been lucky to get a Cougar and a -2 Banshee, but I've still got holes that need to be filled by an F11F Tiger, F2H-3/4 Banshee, and an FJ-3 Fury. You have all of those in 1/72nd scale and us 48er's have bupkus. 

Darren, just remember that each modeler creates that "shortage of subject" problem for themselves, in any given scale.

Mark's decal sheets show what happens to us. We pick up one of his sheets (or 43, lol) because he hits our chosen subject area, in our chosen scale. Then we wind up with proof in our instructions files that there are many, many aircraft that are "outside of our interests", covered by both kits and decal releases.

And it happens even when one of the other modern decal companies release a decal sheet that covers one subject per release, with multiple schemes. I have a Phantom sheet that gives me the VF-161 scheme from when they were attached to CVW-15, leaving the four schemes from their Midway CVW-5 time period as spare parts for other models.

As soon as we pick a theme to build to,,,,we create shortages of models and decals for ourselves,,,,,and surpluses of markings and "kits not to buy" on the vast list of models available.

1 hour ago, Rex said:

Darren, just remember that each modeler creates that "shortage of subject" problem for themselves, in any given scale.

Mark's decal sheets show what happens to us. We pick up one of his sheets (or 43, lol) because he hits our chosen subject area, in our chosen scale. Then we wind up with proof in our instructions files that there are many, many aircraft that are "outside of our interests", covered by both kits and decal releases.

And it happens even when one of the other modern decal companies release a decal sheet that covers one subject per release, with multiple schemes. I have a Phantom sheet that gives me the VF-161 scheme from when they were attached to CVW-15, leaving the four schemes from their Midway CVW-5 time period as spare parts for other models.

As soon as we pick a theme to build to,,,,we create shortages of models and decals for ourselves,,,,,and surpluses of markings and "kits not to buy" on the vast list of models available.

How true that is! In regards to the decal sheet having the same squadron but different schemes...I've never understood that. How many people are really going to do every scheme from the sheet? Essentially you're buying a $20 sheet for one set of markings. I'd rather have a number of different squadrons on one sheet.

this is the Furball 1/72 Phantom sheet

Something like 20+ options, from various squadrons

It does provide options that aren't as popular as others,,,,,so, even though there may be 500 of those sheets out there in the modeling community, I could possibly still choose a less popular option than the other 50 modelers that will actually get around to using the decals.

(besides, having spare nose numbers, tail codes, BuNos, etc, doesn't hurt a guy that is going to have to "scratch-scrounge" decal bits for VA-16 and VA-54, etc)