Heinkel He 111 wing markings

Hi guys,

I'm decalling my 1/48 ICM Heinkel He 111H-3 at the moment, and according to their instructions the upper wing formation bars are on both wings, but I've only seen photos, pics, etc. which depict them on one wing only.

The machine I'm modellng is A1 + DA from KG 53 during the Battle Of Britain : there is a photo of this machine which shows the vertical bars on the port side of the rudder, but unfortunately the rest of the  upper surfaces are not visible.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any extra info on this, and whether the kit instructions are likely to be correct ? 

Thanks for the info . . . I've already looked at that discussion, but thanks for youe help anyway, it's much appreciated. I think I'll go with bars on the port wing only so that would match with the rudder. If I find out later they were on both wings I can always add them later.  :thumbsup:

According to some sources I've read the wing bars were on the same side as the rudder markings, which seems logical. The photo I have of A1 + DA shows the markings on the port side of the rudder, so that's what I've gone with.

Anyway, it's too late now as the decals are finished, so if it turns out to be wrong I'll just have to live with it ! Anyhoo, thanks for taking the time to reply to my query .  :thumbsup: