1/48 KINETIC EA-6B Prowler

25 minutes ago, Major Walt said:

I’ve seen a lot of in progress pics over time, but these are the most breathtaking ones ever. To say I’m amazed is an under statement. Beautiful!!

I am very happy that you like them, I hope they are useful to a point as well. Don't have time to explain more, but if there is something in specific that I can provide more details, I will happilly do so.

Many thanks.

6 hours ago, wardog said:

Really nice work so far; out of curiosity, are you planning to super detail your model throughout? If so, I'm sure it will look outstanding. 

Elmo

I will open the engine bays too.

Wing closing mechanisms will be of some interest too, though kit parts are not that bad.

Thanks 🙂

Edited by DIO
  • 2 weeks later...

With so much detail in the fuselage, I have decided to use those tinny magnets to have the Birdcage removable.

Was also thinking to add some lighting insides, but not sure how to do that... Any ideas or links that could possibly help me?

Edited by DIO
17 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Try this DIO, LED lights for models, google "Magic Scale Modeling." I believe they are even wireless now which is a very cool feature.

Steve

Will have a look. Many thanks 🙂

Wow amazing work! How did you do the dirt weathering/staining here? Curious what you used for the dirt (airbrush or oils or something else) and how you masked the top border along the panel like and the rivets? 

14671_md.jpg

On 6/30/2018 at 9:32 AM, Janissary said:

Wow amazing work! How did you do the dirt weathering/staining here? Curious what you used for the dirt (airbrush or oils or something else) and how you masked the top border along the panel like and the rivets? 

Hi Janissary and thanks for your kind words.

This how this was done:

I first painted the module with acrylics: The top area with a light gray, the bottom area with a darker one and the front area with a slightly darker.

Each was painted using an airbrush and while masking the other areas on the pod.

Then I applied a layer of Future varnish to protect from the following weathering process.

After a day, I masked all the upper area, also covering the sensors at the sides of the module.

I used a brush and painted the bottom area with dark shades of oil (raw amber and black), moving top to bottom. The oil was not diluted, but used as it came out from the tube. You need just enough to create those lines. The good thing is that if you fail, you can use white spirit or any other enamel thinner, clean it out and try again.

Then I cleaned the brush and kept doing the same movements repetitively until most of the color was gone, leaving back just this transparent oily film.

I unmasked the upper part and left it cure for 2-3 days (oils take their time).

After that I used a very thin brush with white spirit (again, any enamel thinner would do) and cleared carefully all the areas around the panel lines and the rivets. Do not put too much thinner on it, because if it runs on the plastic, will destroy the effect created.

One more layer of future to seal off the color and especially the oils.

After a day, I masked and painted separately the sensor areas. One layer of Future followed over them to prepare for the decals. Once those were added I washed with the same oils used before, but heavily diluted this time (pretty much sure you already know this).

A last layer of semi-gloss sealed everything into place.

I hope this helps...

Edited by DIO
23 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Awesome work DIO. Thanks for taking the time to explain and documenting your work. This is a true build thread unlike some of those videos being posted.

I will try to give as much detail as possible, but unfortunately I do not have a proper camera (using my phone) and not enough time either.

Thank you for your kind words...

Just now, DIO said:

I will try to give as much detail as possible, but unfortunately I do not have a proper camera (using my phone) and not enough time either.

Thank you for your kind words...

You're doing great as is!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so you reach to a point that you have to say enough! Enough, cause it will never finish.

So this is the best I could do so far. Everything glued in place and ready to go for the other side:

27481.jpg

The real thing....

26284.png

Some more detail...

27479.jpg   27480.jpg   27482.jpg   27483.jpg

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

OMG, simply fantastic detail work .. what an amazing touch

Keep 'em comin

Peter :thumbsup:

Thanks Peter.

Time is what I need mostly!