CD48143 - 1/48 F-105G Wild Weasel

We will absolutely have some Nellis and George AFB (GA ANG) examples from the late years of F-105G's service on the sheet. As for Vietnam examples, I am still working on finding out what's out there and how well it is documented - stay tuned and I will hammer this one out before I leave for vacation in late July.

Cool! 

Maybe include some early (E)F-105F's too, like 63-8319 flown by Kilgus and carrying his kill marking on the canopy rail, and would be a good follow-on from the F-100 sheet?? Or 63-8351 which was a MiG-17 killer, and currently restored in her VietNam markings? Neither been done in 1/48 from what I can tell? 

And then the obvious triple MiG killer 63-8320 - many different iterations of it from various times during its service in VietNam? 

8 hours ago, KursadA said:

We will absolutely have some Nellis and George AFB (GA ANG) examples from the late years of F-105G's service on the sheet. As for Vietnam examples, I am still working on finding out what's out there and how well it is documented - stay tuned and I will hammer this one out before I leave for vacation in late July.

Georgia ANG at George AFB in California? Hmm . . . .

A very good subject.  I did a series of 3 decals for the Monogram F-105F/G when they came out under the name Flightline/Fowler Aviation.  One of the George AFB/35TFW aircraft had a very fierce curved mouth with W W tail codes and such an aircraft would be good to have again with a modern decal.  Watch the aircraft spines on the F models as combat experience showed the need for an additional back-up control system so the small round conduit down the spine appeared.  Early F/D's do not have this.   I will also go through my slides to see what I have that may be useful to you.  Glad to see you doing these.  Your sheets will be far superior to mine I am sure.  

42 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

Um, yeah. Let's make that Georgia ANG *and* George AFB. The GA on the tail fooled me. It was late 😉 

Is this the coolest thing, or what? Does anyone know what this exactly is?  It looks government issue - why would they come up with something this elaborate only for training or display?

Someone should find the molds and re-pop this  :-). 

F-105 "model" from Flickr

Edited by KursadA

Over the years here in Europe there have been quite a few re-issues of the 1/48th Revell/Monogram F-105F/G kit always with different decal options. There were two versions released in 2007; #6868 F-105F 63-8299 which had a GA ANG 116th TFG 'Peach 91' final flight scheme 28th May 1983, also a George AFB 'WW' coded 35th TFW / 562nd TFS F-105G serial 63-8320 'Hanoi Hustler' 25th April 1980.

Kit 04504 was released the same year with no less than five decal options on a huge and detailed sheet quoted as follows:

F-105G '62-434' WW 35th TFW / 562nd TFS based at George AFB June 1980;

F-105G '62-434' GA 35th TFW / 562nd TFS based at George AFB June 1980;

EF-105F '63-311' RM 'Sam Fighter' 355th TFW / 354th TFS based at Da Nang AB May 1970;

F-105G '38-336' JB 'Patience' 338th TFW / 17th WWS based at Korat AB January 1973;

EF-105F '63-319' RM 'Sinister Vampire' 355th TFW / 44th TFS based at Takhli AB Sept 1970.

Many years ago Super Scale International released an F-105 'Thud' decal sheet for the Virginia ANG 192nd TFG which included F-105F 62-4413 'Flying Anvil'.

Not sure that you are going to have room for the varied F-105F which was later operated by the Kansas ANG 184th TFTG as well as the 23rd TFW / 562nd TFS, as well as GA and VA as above. Maybe an additional sheet?

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:20 AM, KursadA said:

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, Paul Boyer said:

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, KursadA said:

Um, yeah. Let's make that Georgia ANG *and* George AFB. The GA on the tail fooled me. It was late 😉 

Yeah, just to be clear, the Georgia ANG F-105F/Gs NEVER carried GA tail codes on their aircraft. It was always the black outlined yellow band with "GEORGIA" painted in white. The GA tail codes only appeared on the 128th's aircraft after they converted over to the B-1 bomber.

Edited by Johnopfor
4 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

Yeah, just to be clear, the Georgia ANG F-105F/Gs NEVER carried GA tail codes on their aircraft. It was always the black outlined yellow band with "GEORGIA" painted in white. The GA tail codes only appeared on the 128th's aircraft after they converted over to the B-1 bomber.

I thought I made it clear that I made a mistake. The decal sheet will be accurate - let us move on.

Edited by KursadA
9 minutes ago, aircal62 said:

Kursad,   I am going though materials I have (slides I took over the years).  I am guessing you already have a plan of what you want to do.  Are you open to materials being sent?    

Please do send them as soon as possible - I am already done with all the stencilling and general markings; and I am drawing the different options. I would like to release this in August, so need to finish the design by the first week of July or so.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

I thought I made it clear that I made a mistake. The decal sheet will be accurate - let us move on.

Relax, I'm just making a clarification for others reading this thread. It's not just the tail codes on the F-105 that have thrown people off. Some folks have mistaken F-4Gs from George AFB as GA ANG aircraft, even though the 128th converted from the F-105F/G into the F-4D, retaining the Yellow stripe with "GEORGIA" in white, later changed to the top of the stabilizer being painted black, with "GEORGIA" painted in yellow. The GA tail codes appeared on the 128th's aircraft after they converted over to the B-1B (George AFB had closed by then).