On 3/8/2023 at 7:07 AM, Mr.Happy said:

That’s a cleaver way to approach the challenge of landing gear alignment. 

If Tamiya ever retooled their 1/48 Corsair family they should consider consulting you. Your build is amazing to see with each update.

Eagerly awaiting your next update.

Keep modeling,

Mr. Happy

Interesting to speculate about....

They did an all-new tool Spitfire I, so the precedent exists.

Plus, they now have fully updated tribal knowledge based on the research done on the 32nd scale Corsair project. However, it might also require to write a new round of royalty cheques to Northrop-Grumman Systems, Inc.

There's rumours that Eduard is looking into an all new Corsair, but while it would probably be a great kit, it would also likely be over-engineered and fussy to assemble in places, much like the real Corsair was.

The F4U, P-47, and P-38 were in a three way race of "Hardest plane to build in large quantities", LOL.

On 3/6/2023 at 11:25 AM, Falcon50EX said:

I know i've said it a thousand times, but the model is looking great.

32nd scale may not be your thing, but i strongly suggest you give Tamiya's 32nd scale Corsair a try. It is an all-new, from the ground up effort that has nothing in common with the 48th and 72nd offerings. A lot of the things you'd consider "fiddly" in 48th scale gave been improved and taken care of for you in the 32nd scale kit. At present, i'm on my 3rd.

Not trying to sound like a fawning Tamiya fan boy, but i'm happy to go into more detail off board in case you're interested.

-d-

Thanks, David; I appreciate your encouraging words and helpful advice along this build.

I have used other modelers' work of Tamiya's 1/32 as a reference for details, and it does look like an awesome kit without the shortcomings of the 1/48 one; I'm sure you have done a fantastic job on yours; I never built 1/32 before, but it could be interesting for a change.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, vonjhn68 said:

Thanks for posting this - what a great resource of information.

Any time!

On 3/8/2023 at 9:07 AM, Mr.Happy said:

If Tamiya ever retooled their 1/48 Corsair family they should consider consulting you. Your build is amazing to see with each update.

Keep modeling,

Mr. Happy

Thanks for having me in such high regard; as David mentioned, Tamiya has solved all the issues in the bigger Corsair and could serve as a solid base for a retool.

11 hours ago, Falcon50EX said:

The F4U, P-47, and P-38 were in a three way race of "Hardest plane to build in large quantities", LOL.

Now that you mentioned those three planes, in 1/48, Tamiya has done a great job with the P-38 surpassing the quality of the other two, and it's on my sights for a future project; I see the P-47 on par with the F4U, so it doesn't inspire me that much; have high hopes for the new Miniart P-47.

Falcon50EX Said: “There's rumours that Eduard is looking into an all new Corsair, but while it would probably be a great kit, it would also likely be over-engineered and fussy to assemble in places, much like the real Corsair was.’’

Yup old new now,. 

Vlad told us about the Wildcat’s and TBA P-51B/C’s , Corsair’s, and possibly Warhawk’s at the 2019 Chattanooga Nats. We will just have to wait and see what actually comes to fruition.

We know the Wildcat is out and P-51B/C’s are in the works. 

Yes Eduard is a bit on the fiddly side of a build experience compared to Tamiya. 

However it would (in theory) be great if Tamiya would scale down (from their 1/32 Corsair) or pop out a newly tooled Corsair in 1/48 with all of the latest upgrades / improvements in the design & molding process.

One can only dream. But I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Mr.Happy 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, quick update.

Currently working on some minor details, but the next big step is attaching the engine and cowling; given that this is a significantly reworked area, it's critical to test fit everything before committing to glue because there is little margin for error.

While doing the test fitting, I found the rear of the engine pushed the cowling flaps back; this would cause them to be pressed over the fuselage and leave a gap between the flaps and the cowling.

To solve this, several notches were carved in the base of the cowling flaps ring to make space for the cylinders' heads; to minimize the handling and prevent damaging the paint, the carving was done with a Dremel.

lcVgn0S.jpg

To err on the safe side, a slice of material was cut off from the back of the cylinders to make more room; the exhaust tubes ends were also cut to length so they could fit in their respective holes in the fuselage, even if the ends will be hidden I couldn't resist to paint them black.

y0ZbgWM.jpg

Dry fitting also revealed a step between the cowling top and the fuselage; removing the paint from the matching surfaces solved it.

DSzbKgP.jpg

With some luck, just a few paint touch-ups and the engine will be mounted in place this week.

The engine is glued in place; the cowl flaps are not; one last pic before all the detail work goes hidden for good; I know it is in there; it was a good exercise for detailing an engine.

DXJv9yq.jpg

The cowling is in place at the moment of this post, but I'll wait until the glue sets to take more pics.

On 3/8/2023 at 10:07 AM, Mr.Happy said:

Keep modeling,

Mr. Happy

I hope this isn't a dead horse, but if Tamiya re-tooled the 1/48 Corsair, later variants would be awesome. Dash-4, 5, etc.

On 4/4/2023 at 10:48 AM, MA Cooke said:

I hope this isn't a dead horse, but if Tamiya re-tooled the 1/48 Corsair, later variants would be awesome. Dash-4, 5, etc.

Agreed!

I along with many a Corsair aficionados we are all hoping for a good well molded F4U-4/B and the -5’s & Au-1’s.  

Hasegawa’ s -5’s, Au-1’s & -7 are good but a new generation mold of those derivatives would sell like hot cakes. Along with a new generation molding of the F4U-1,A,C,&,D.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, and thanks for your kind comments.

I want to share some more progress made these past few days; first, the covers for the approach lights are replicated using Testors' clear glue and are now ready for paint; the original plan was to create a film directly at the edge of the holes, but my lack of skill and the surface tension created a shapeless blob on one and a concave shape on the others.

Subsequent applications make for a more or less flat surface as was intended; I tried other brands of clear glue, but they tend to get a flexible consistency once dried, unlike Testors', which ends up solid given enough time to cure.

cEukemm.jpg

The same is currently done with the formation lights on the upper wing, leaving several days between layers to cure properly.

Moving back, the balance tab actuator was airbrushed; the masking was done using a piece of thermal paper (a receipt) with a cut so the actuator could pass through it; this was easier than using tape and with less risk of damaging this delicate part.

pguJUA8.jpg

And last, the engine-cowling section is now firmly in place; the alignment was done by eye the best I could.

bG8K2hn.jpg

It is not perfect, and the most obvious error is the difference in the gaps between the right and left cowl flaps and the upper fuselage.

GZDph7K.jpg

The details and plumbing of the engine's rear are mostly hidden unless you get close to it and with good light, but I know it is there, and that soothes my soul.

u7nhhbl.jpg

sjiHwY4.jpg

Thanks to all for watching this and your patience with this slow build.

Thanks @RichB63, @kellyF15 and @Mr.Happy for your kind words.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:56 AM, Alternative 4 said:

Great work. Always worth waiting for your updates.

I am using your build as the inspiration for my 1/32 Tamiya kit. I've lifted your colour ideas for washes, something about the grey over the dark blue looks perfect.

Thanks, I'm glad you find it useful.

A bittersweet progress report; I did some paint touchups around the flaps and the recently finished approaching lights; feeling closer to the finish line, I removed some of the maskings only to find not-so-good news.

The colored approaching lights had a shiny and smooth finish before I retouched the paint around them; after removing the maskings found this.

wYio6au.jpg

I don't know what caused this, but hopefully, it could be repaired with an extra layer of clear glue, fingers crossed.

Next came the window under the cockpit; letting aside the validity of it being on the 1A version, I wanted to represent it partially covered in soot from the engine.

After removing the mask, I found that something has made stains in the window from the inside; you can see them as those watermarks.

7lr7wMv.jpg

I'll try to remove the stains later, but in the meantime, I applied the soot by airbrushing a mix of AMMO's ultra-matte varnish, black and violet brown.

Lastly, the masks for the approaching light and the gun camera were removed; sadly, in both cases, there is some debris stuck in the inside; with no way of accessing them, I cannot think of a way to sort this out.

KwixX23.jpg

1iFAjYW.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for watching.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

I'm working on those small details I left aside before; here are some of them.

Ever since the bomb assembly was completed, I had a sense that something was missing; I just recently realized that the main body needed some rust, and this was added using AMMO's rust oilbrush together with little scuffs in steel by Vallejo's metallics,

Ee3AOOX.jpg

I think this helped to enhance the contrast between the main body and the fin box; what do you think?

7RFXOne.jpg

The back armor plate is completed, painted with Tamiya, and weathered using oils and pane line wash from AMMO.

7Dmzhgt.jpg

The tailhook got some chipping using white and steel from Vallejo; I overdid the effect but thought I could tone it down with further weathering.

o5tmw63.jpg

The upper formation lights over the wings are completed.

aokYAxR.jpg

The small light over the spine is a work in progress; the bulb was made using clear stretched sprue, and the dome is made of Testors' clear glue, which will require more coats to get the desired shape.

cMkLCnm.jpg

The windscreen masks were removed, revealing some uneven edges; I think this is mainly my fault, but also part is the tendency of the paint to flake sometimes.

MbAxZTu.jpg

Another missing detail is the one that goes at the top of the windscreen; I believe it's a support for the armored glass, and I'll have to make it from scratch because the photoetched detail from the Aires' set is not too convincing.

Thanks for watching; I can't wait to finish this one.

On 5/12/2023 at 3:37 PM, Mr.Happy said:

Damm Cruiz,

That Corsair gets more awesome with every update.

Outstanding!

Mr.Happy

Thank you, Mr.Happpy.

Hello all

The underside is completed; here are some pics before flipping this steak to work on the upper side.

ZbTwoJn.jpg

1l3hVs5.jpg

pGpra7E.jpg

The canopy and rudder are ready to get glued in place; the next and hopefully final detail after that would be the aerial; I'm still deciding between a fuselage-rudder-tailplane or a fuselage-tailplane-rudder installation; both seem to be correct and will be a matter of which is more convenient for handling the model.

• 2 weeks later...

At last, these are the final details.

The aerial is installed; this arrangement is the one I liked the most; all three attachment points are tinny copper wire loops glued with cyano into predrilled holes.

Qaxo6rA.jpg

The aerial is made with rigging filament fine from Infini; the tensioner in the tailplane is made from a stretched cotton swab into which the filament passes; each end is secured with a knot, and a drop of Testors' clear cement painted white emulates an insulator, this detail is not based on references but made to add some interest.

N4UumZV.jpg

6QCL2fQ.jpg

The details at the top of the windscreen were made from scratch and with the photoetched parts of the Aires' set.

8FDQHne.jpg

Another detail I almost forgot was the pitot tube; the kit's part was reworked to represent the original better; the fin was thinned, and a small hole was drilled at the tip.

7b5J4Bw.jpg

And it's done!

Here are some quick pics I want to share; in the next few days, I'll try to take better ones on a white background and better lighting.

w8HjwVM.jpg

b3Woe0Q.jpg

iBU5q6E.jpg

cpZykTc.jpg

EOM0IT9.jpg

HenVRAI.jpg

N5NkAy7.jpg

I want to thank all of you who kept an eye on this long and tedious build; your kind words were encouraging, and your comments and advice were fundamental to completing this build and helped me grow my skills.

I'll always consider myself an apprentice, so if you have any comments, critiques, or advice, please feel free to share them.

Regards

Carlos

And it’s Awesome!

Outstanding Cruiz,

You have most certainly raised the bar and broken that bar raised it again and again. It has been such a great build to watch come to fruition. 

Your hard work has paid off and your Corsair should be looked upon as the prototype by which others that build in the modified class should yield to.

Keep build,

Mr. Happy

Hope you can come to the Nationals in San Marcos?