1/48 Kinetic Prowlers for VMAQ-2 - Five of 27!

Gentlemen,

This is the first of 25 1/48 Kinetic Prowlers I will be building for the Marines of VMAQ-2, as well as the squadron itself for the Prowlers final sunset later this year. A couple will be built with a full aftermarket compliment, while the rest will be built out of the box.

Also being built for the squadron are the following in 1/48 scale : AD-5, F3D-2, RF-8A, RF-4B and EA-6A. Photos of these will be posted later. Here we go!

IMG_0485.jpg

Edited by Dave Roof
19 hours ago, DIO said:

Building exactly the same bird.

Will be watching 🙂

Dio's EA-6B

Cheers,

DIO

Actually, I'll be watching yours! 😄 Mine are all going to be built out of the box with minimal details added. The focus is the paint schemes and just to get them completed for the Marines that want them. One of these days I'm going to detail one and hopefully it comes out as nice as yours.

Wow great project Dave for a great reason. I have not picked up the Kinetic Prowler as yet but I hear it is very good. I still have 4 of the Monogram kits but maybe I could get rid of those and go with something a little better.

So Darren is the Tomcat guy and pretty soon we call you Prowler guy 😁

That is just an unparalleled build for my imagination... 25 Prowlers... in 1/48...    I see something like a production line in your workspace - cockpit 1 - done; cockpit 2 - done; cockpit 3 - done... 🙂

Should be really interesting endeavor(s). Keep on the updates.

Edited by my favs are F`s
7 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Wow great project Dave for a great reason. I have not picked up the Kinetic Prowler as yet but I hear it is very good. I still have 4 of the Monogram kits but maybe I could get rid of those and go with something a little better.

So Darren is the Tomcat guy and pretty soon we call you Prowler guy 😁

Monogram kit needs a lot of extra work to become just descent. It is full of errors and even if CE sets are to be used, will still be a bag full of errors.

Kinetic is good as a starting point. It does build to a convincing bird out of the box, which is enough for most of us.

Keep up the good job Dave 🙂

Edited by DIO
2 hours ago, DIO said:

Monogram kit needs a lot of extra work to become just resent. It is full of errors and even if CMK's sets are to be used, will still be a bag full of errors.

Kinetic is good as a starting point. It does build to a convincing bird out of the box, which is enough for most of us.

Keep up the good job Dave 🙂

Yeah unfortunately I know that and that is probably why I have 2 sets of CE updates. Probably going to get rid of a couple and keep at least one with the resin. Remember at the time before Kinetic this was all we had. Hey I even had the Airfix POS but got that shipped off to never never land pretty quickly.

I'm also curious how many CA glues, paint and primer bottles, new blades, etc., will take to build that much models at once 🙂 My F-23A only took about 8! entire Revell Contacta glue tubes, cause most of it was use for a filling mix, but it is definitely something to remember.

3 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

When is your deadline? I feel like I would be banging out 25 cockpits RIGHT NOW to get a jump on this.

October for the squadron display. Q-2 is currently in Qatar and will be returning home in a few months. The final sunset will be sometime around then. The CO, XO, AMO and the GySgt that has designed many of the colorful Prowler paint schemes for all four Q squadrons have been emailing me photos, and providing details on the markings of their current aircraft. The models being built for the individual Marines that want them will be built and finished before the end of the year and mailed to them when each is done.

• 2 months later...

Other projects took priority for a bit, but I'm back on the Prowlers. The port wing fit like a glove and the starboard wing was a major pain in the fool! The first Prowler I built, I must have misaligned the cockpit as the fuselage halves were a bit difficult to close. This one was placed just right and the fuselage halves fit perfectly! I have about 24 more to go, so they should get easier as I remember areas to pay attention to. 

The first six are going to the following Marines in VMAQ-2 :

Commanding Officer

Executive Officer

Operations Officer

Maintenance Officer

Sgt Major

Airframes SNCOIC

Then there is the display for the squadrons deactivation in March!

38692684_10205276441307582_6543295058123

You have not missaligned a thing my friend. The fuselage is not easy to close. I suggest glueing first the tail barrel and then surprisingly it all comes together easily.

Keep up the good job 🙂

• 2 months later...

Dave, Need any help with another EA-6A?  I might build one also.  I am at the same location with the squadron now and will forward you the photos when I get back in a few days. R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Dave, Need any help with another EA-6A?  I might build one also.  I am at the same location with the squadron now and will forward you the photos when I get back in a few days. R/ Dutch

Can I ask you for a favour? I am working on a similar project. Can I pls ask you to share those photos with me as well?

Edited by DIO

wow,I havent touched the prowler kit,but according to what i heard about it,the kit is not very easy to build,especially,when involving AM.You've got 25 in production line.You are building a fleet.what a great project!

• 2 months later...

Now the fun really begins, 15 pounds of Prowlers!

New job is rough though, 9:30am to 7:15pm on most weekdays, 9 to 5 on Saturdays and 11:30 to 5:30 on Sundays, effectively killing my 'free' time. A lot of late nights and possibly recruiting a couple local modeling friends to help out. We'll see how this plays out over the next couple of months. The deadline for 8 of them is 9 March. The rest don't really have a deadline.

DSCF9769.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, the job I had pretty much killed almost all of my time..........so I quit last Saturday. I leave for MCAS Cherry Point on Wednesday, the 6th and this is where I am with the builds. This entire weekend will be devoted to painting and marking them. The VMAQ-2 Commanding Officer, Executive Officer, Maintenance Officer, Operations Officer and SgtMaj will get there's at the Sunset ceremony. The others will have to wait a bit longer unfortunately. A sincere thanks to my good friend John Colvin for stopping by a couple nights this past week to help assemble many of the parts. If it wasn't for him, I'd still be gluing stuff together instead of prepping to paint!

On a good not, I really learned a lot about building the Kinetic EA-6B and will provide a list of do's and don'ts as soon as I can.

IMG-0518.jpg