Best 1/72 Modern Jet Kits

I've been out of the hobby for a few years for a variety of reasons, but finally I'm getting back into scale models. I've got an Italeri 1/72 Su-34 kit on the way from Amazon. I realize it's not an incredibly accurate kit, but it was only $20 so I figure it'll be a good refresher build, mostly out-of-box. After that, though, I'll be wanting a few more detailed, likely more accurate kits. I'm mostly interested in Russian and US modern jets. Primarily, I'm going to want a Su-27UB, F-16C in aggressor paint, late model MiG-29, F/A-22, F-35, stuff like that. But honestly, any modern jet is going to at least get some interest from me. My preferred scale is going to be 1/72 since my apartment doesn't have a lot of space to put shelves for 1/48 models.

Any suggestions for kits I should look at? It's been a while since I built anything, and most of the kits I remember building were 1/48 or prop aircraft.

For the F-22 and F-35A go with the Academy kits.  For the F-35B I'd go with Fujimi.  Hasegawa makes an F-35A and F-35B, but they molded the weapons bay doors closed, which is a pose you're generally not going to see on a parked jet with the engine shut down.  AFAIK the only F-35C currently available in 1/72 scale is the Orange Model kit.  Trumpeter makes a couple different versions of the MiG-29.  For the F-16 Aggressor you should probably pick a particular airframe first.  The Gomer F-16s are a mix of blocks which can change what kit you want to start with.

Regards,

Murph

For the Russians, look for zvezda's Su-27SM, MiG-29S and MiG-29SMT. A Su-27UB is in the pipeline, however they still have the old one in catalogue which are worthless...

For the rest, Revell EF2000, Tornado and F-16. Tamiya for F-16 as well and hasegawa for others. F/A-18A to D is best from academy. Which has a new Eagle but don't know the kit's reputation. Great wall hobby does an Eagle too, and looks very nice from the pics i've seen.

Pretty much agree with Fiddler, but here is more info......

Best F-15A/C is still Hasegawa, despite it's age

Best F-15E/I kit......Great Wall is a nice kit with lots of different weapons, but pricey. The Academy kit is also pretty nice, being a snap kit. It is limited when it comes to weapons and the exhaust cans are basic (someone has already come out with a replacement set {CMK?}). Hasegawa finally did some updating on their kit, but there is some debate on if it is "accurate enough".

Best F-18A/C/D is Academy

Best F/A-18E/F is Hasegawa

Best F-16C kit would be Tamiya followed by Revell

Best F-16A kit would be Revell

Best Eurofighter Typhoon would be Revell, then Hasegawa

Best JAS 39 Gripen would be Revell

Best late model MiG-29S/SMT would be Zvezda, followed by Trumpeter (The MiG-29S has been reboxed by Revell in a Swifts scheme)

Best early model MiG-29A & UB Trumpeter 

Zvezda has the best Su-27S/SM (Also reboxed by Revell & Academy), Trumpeter for the rest of the Flanker family

Best Su-25 would be Art Model

A couple of notes...…. 

Eduard has just released their MiG-21MF Fishbed kit. It is their 1/48 kit scaled down, which would make it the best in 1/72 scale. Zvezda has a nice MiG-21bis and MiG-21PFM kit, but Eduard may release these versions sometime later.

Special Hobby is due to release a 1/72 version of the Tarangus 1/48 AJ-37 Viggen kit soon.

10 hours ago, Murph said:

For the F-22 and F-35A go with the Academy kits.  For the F-35B I'd go with Fujimi.  Hasegawa makes an F-35A and F-35B, but they molded the weapons bay doors closed, which is a pose you're generally not going to see on a parked jet with the engine shut down.  AFAIK the only F-35C currently available in 1/72 scale is the Orange Model kit.  Trumpeter makes a couple different versions of the MiG-29.  For the F-16 Aggressor you should probably pick a particular airframe first.  The Gomer F-16s are a mix of blocks which can change what kit you want to start with.

Regards,

Murph

For the Aggressor, at least for the first one, I'm planning on one of the F-16Cs based in Alaska. The blizzard/arctic schemes are my favorite look for the F-16.

Best 1/72:

A-3 Family                   Hasegawa

A-4 Family                   Fujimi

RA-5C                           Trumpeter but has shape issues

A-6 Family                    Fujimi

A-7 Family                    Fujimi

AV-8A                            ESCI /Italeri or Airfix  (we're spoiled for great first generation Harriers in 1/72)

A-10A                             Hasegawa (some like Italeri)

The new Airfix 1/72 stuff is quite nice in my opinion and very affordable. Have a look at their line to see if anything suits your fancy. I have just started the painting on my Airfix Harrier  Gr.1 and it has been very enjoyable. I just received their Harrier Gr. 3 it looks to be another little jewel. Just make sure its their newer stuff and don't get fooled by new box art with ancient 70's era plastic inside. If you're unsure jut ask here and someone will be able to steer you right as to what's in the box.

Have fun and good luck!

Regards,

Don

I just picked up a Zvezda MiG-29 and Su-27SM. I haven't even taken any parts off the sprues yet, but holy crap, these details are delicate. So delicate, I think I might have to deepen all the panel lines just to stop them from disappearing under a couple coats of paint.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, Don said:

The new Airfix 1/72 stuff is quite nice in my opinion and very affordable. Have a look at their line to see if anything suits your fancy. I have just started the painting on my Airfix Harrier  Gr.1 and it has been very enjoyable. I just received their Harrier Gr. 3 it looks to be another little jewel. Just make sure its their newer stuff and don't get fooled by new box art with ancient 70's era plastic inside. If you're unsure jut ask here and someone will be able to steer you right as to what's in the box.

Have fun and good luck!

Regards,

Don

579168_10200365699697897_417402091_n.jpg

18 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Or preshade the lines with a black wash over the primer and spray very light layers of colors on top of that?

There's that, too. My airbrush is a bit finicky at times, but that might be doable. I'm honestly a little concerned the primer itself might cover up some of those lines. I've never seen a kit with such fine panel details. 

I decided to get back into modeling in a fairly heavy way, so instead of buying just the one kit, I now have four. And my plan is to finish at least two of them before buying any more. All are in 1/72, naturally.

Zvezda Su-27SM

Zvezda MiG-29 (Swifts boxing, which Google tells me is the 9.13 version. Definitely want aftermarket decals unless I go for a crazy unique paint scheme of my own.)

Hasegawa F/A-18E (VFA-27 markings, but I'll be on the lookout for any aftermarket decals)

Tamiya/Italeri Su-34

The Su-34 is definitely going to be an OOB build. I know it's got some problems, but my plan is to build this one as is and then eventually either get the Trumpeter Su-34 or another Italeri one and correct everything to make it look right. That's the one I'll do in the new, dark gray paint. Honestly, I kinda just want to get the -34 done so I have a completed model. It's my test bed to get the hang of airbrushing again, filling and rescribing lines, masking, that kind of thing. After that, I'll likely do the MiG-29 or Su-27. The F/A-18E is the one I'm least excited for right now, but I'm hoping the right set of markings helps with that.

19 minutes ago, illithid00 said:

Zvezda MiG-29 (Swifts boxing, which Google tells me is the 9.13 version. Definitely want aftermarket decals unless I go for a crazy unique paint scheme of my own.)

At this point, Zvezda has only released the MiG-29 Fulcrum C (9.13 version) and MiG-29SMT (9.17 version). They have plans for the early model MiG-29 Fulcrum A and MiG-29UB versions, but no news on when to expect them. I'm hoping they also release a MiG-29K soon.

If you are looking for aftermarket decals for your MiGs, I would recommend Begemot and Linden Hill decals.

2 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

At this point, Zvezda has only released the MiG-29 Fulcrum C (9.13 version) and MiG-29SMT (9.17 version). They have plans for the early model MiG-29 Fulcrum A and MiG-29UB versions, but no news on when to expect them. I'm hoping they also release a MiG-29K soon.

If you are looking for aftermarket decals for your MiGs, I would recommend Begemot and Linden Hill decals.

The MiG-29K would be a decent stepping stone to kitbashing a MiG-35. A MiG-29UB would be super cool, too.

Hi,

For what it's worth, I really think the Hasegawa F-35B is way ahead of everyone else's for the 1/72 contender.  It's dead accurate, as near as I can tell, and it's the only 1/72 version that doesn't  have "garden fence" RAM panels. In addition, the other kits do not have the auxiliary air inlet door front the front lift fan, nor the driveshaft that's in that well:

2v2J6ero3xfzdhW.jpg

Since the whole hoopla about the "B" version is VTOL and STOVL, this is the only kit that let's you depict these characteristics, BUT with two provisos: 1) the kits stabilators are set in the horizontal position, whereas on VTOL, they are canted upward at the front. This can easily be fixed on the Hasegawa model by shaving off a tiny wedge from he front of the stabilators, instructions HERE

2) During VTOL landing and takeoff, the weapons bay doors are only opened the last few seconds BEFORE the actual takeoff,  and during vertical landings, the weapons bay doors are only opened the last minute or less before the actual landing is begun (many films on U-Tube to verify this).

Here is a pic of my model, shown just prior to takeoff:

2v2JmJf6zxfzdhW.jpg

BTW, the multi-mission pod with GAU25 gun does NOT come with the kit! I found it on Shapeways (link in build thread). Since the jets software will not presently support a large part of the arsenal, I figured this tested pod would at least allow the Marines SOME CAS capability!

My only beef with this model is that I would prefer the ram panel decals (which are great!) to be a little darker. That being said, pictures online show these panels to vary widely in how much they differ from the base color. I don't know if this a function of light reflectance, or the use of different materials at different times.

Just my $.02 worth...

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I built the new tool 1/72 Academy F-15E and it fits better than a Tamiya I must say with very nice details. The drawback are the jet exhausts which can be swapped with some resin ones or if you have some out of a Hasegawa kit they will suit as well. On the stash I got the 1/72 GWH version of the F-15E and that kit is on another league, no wonder it is expensive. I also built Trumpeter's Su-27UB, thou a little simplistic in some details it fits well and it's easy to build.

RoG F/A-18F is rather nice, fits well and comes with nice details and armament to start with. HobbyBoss' Rafale B comes with nice details and fit, although intakes will need some internal work and dry fit.

EF2000? RoG

Grippen? RoG