A little air brushing help please....

I wonder if someone out there can help me with a problem I'm having when I airbrush MM enamel paints, I'm getting an inconsistent finish, some of it is nice and smooth but other area will have a heavy "dust" like appearance to the finish, I shooting at around 12-15 psi and thinning with lacquer thinner...thanks for taking time to look.

Laquer thinner dries quickly, so it could be that the paint is already drying when it hits the plastic surface leaving a pebbly finish instead of flowing into nice level finish.  Try using Testers paint thinner.  I find it works well.  

Lacquer thinner, from a hardware store or big-box store? That stuff is only useful for cleaning your airbrush. As Geoff noted,. try the MM thinner.

In any event, variations like you describe suggest differences in distance or paint flow. I spray Mr Color lacquers, which demand good airbrushing technique. I thin them with Mr. Leveling Thinner to about the consistency of 1% milk and spray between 0.25 and 1.5 inches at 1 atm.

I had this exact problem a few weeks ago. Get the MM airbrush thinner, and a lot of your problems will be fixed. I still use lacquer thinners to clean my airbrush, but for thinning the paints, stick with the "good stuff". 

Aaron 

To give another opinion, I too use MM Enamels. I use paint thinner from the hardware store.  Works well for me at about 50:50 ratio. I use lacquer thinner for cleanup. 12-15 psi, depending on the day.