mig ammo su-35 flanker - E colors

I just picked up the 4 color paint set from mig ammo for the su-35. I did a test spray of the blue color and boy was it no where near what it looks like it should be for the Russian birds. Its closer to the Chinese colors than the Russian colors. Anyone else spray these yet? 

Here are the different "darker' blues that i have sprayed on a scrap part for a comparison, the top color is AKAN Flanker blue faded that I used on my first Flanker-E build, the middle is the MRP su-35 color and the bottom is the Mig ammo color. The MRP and Mig are supposed to represent the same color...

su35 colors.jpg

su35color pt2.jpg

Edited by The Dude
56 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

I did a crude brushed on comparison after I received the Ammo colors because they looked so far off.

Thanks for posting that. The MRP colors look like softer versions of the AKAN ones. The AKAN paints were probably matched to factory fresh samples. The Mig colors are not even in the same ball park, weird. I've got the MRP ones. Now I got to decide if I like the AKAN better.

Edited by Mstor

Yeah I was going to test spray the MRP ones before deciding but I think they look pretty good. I've always used the AKAN on the Russian stuff and with few exceptions have been excellent. I've heard great things about how the MRP sprays and gives such a good hard finish, something the acrylics can't manage.

9 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

I did a crude brushed on comparison after I received the Ammo colors because they looked so far off.

cMYHh2g.jpg

Cool, interesting comparison.... what were the numbers on those akan paints? 

I liked the way the MRP colors sprayed the best, then the AKAN, then the Mig ammo colors but they were all pretty close spray wise and being able to just shake 'em up and pour each of them into the airbrush and spray was a major plus.

Edited by The Dude
26 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Cool, interesting comparison.... what were the numbers on those akan paints? 

I'm pretty sure they were 73167, 73168 and 73169 for the Su-27SM 2014.

Those colors look great, that totally has the right look for that scheme. Nice model!

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

one more of the other side,

finished-flanker-pt2.jpg

19 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

I'm pretty sure they were 73167, 73168 and 73169 for the Su-27SM 2014.

Those colors look great, that totally has the right look for that scheme. Nice model!

Thanks for the compliments. :cheers: I was really happy with the model but the colors looked just a little off. I looked at so many photos of the -35 and every one had a different look in different lighting conditions, it's close but not quite lol. I have a feeling finding the right colors is going to get expensive. I may mix my own if I get brave enough to try it.

8 minutes ago, Vaildog said:

Image result for su-35

Looks off to me.

Yeah, I tend to agree. The Akan colors were the only ones available at the time. I have 3 more GWH Su-35 to do and try to get the good color match. So far all the colors i tried have hit the tree but missed the bulls eye. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thanks for the compliments. :cheers: I was really happy with the model but the colors looked just a little off. I looked at so many photos of the -35 and every one had a different look in different lighting conditions, it's close but not quite lol. I have a feeling finding the right colors is going to get expensive. I may mix my own if I get brave enough to try it.

Yeah, I tend to agree. The Akan colors were the only ones available at the time. I have 3 more GWH Su-35 to do and try to get the good color match. So far all the colors i tried have hit the tree but missed the bulls eye. 

AKAN seems to run too dark in general.  Some colors really lend themselves to scale effects. On the US side of things I'm continually frustrated with light and dark ghost gray. Compared to photos taken in sunlight, all manufacturers run too dark when painting 1/48 scale.  

I like the MRP offerings, and think the Ukraine Su-27 light blue and gray colors are a good match for the su-35.  

9 hours ago, Mstor said:

I've got the MRP ones. Now I got to decide if I like the AKAN better.

You want the MRP ones in this case because they will appear slightly darker after a couple of gloss coats for decalling purposes.

48 minutes ago, RichardL said:

You want the MRP ones in this case because they will appear slightly darker after a couple of gloss coats for decaling purposes.

Thanks, that's good to know. The colors on actual aircraft seem to fade significantly over time. Pics of older Su-27s in this scheme show much less contrast and less saturation in the colors. Unfortunately, most of the Su-35s aircraft are relatively new airframes and they haven't weathered that much, but even so, different lighting will make the contrast look different, with bright sunlight washing out the colors, but cloudy days or indoor light making the colors look a bit more intense and increasing the contrast (i guess that is true of most colors though).

All that to say that I will probably stick with the MRP as overall they look closer to what I am seeing in the majority of pics and what you said. Plus, I really like using MRP :whistle: .

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

So far all the colors i tried have hit the tree but missed the bulls eye. 

I couldn't say it better with all the colors I've gone through, particularly AKAN who I still put a lot of credence in.

As mentioned they often need lightening, graying, sometimes thrown away.  I have a couple of 1/144 Flankers that I use as paint tests to work out the colors before committing to the 1/48. It certainly helps me work out the colors together as a scheme.

On this MKI the light overall pale blue and the dark blue were spot on but the middle grey blue needed quite a bit of graying down from the bottle. The 1/144 kit helped get it just right before 

painting the big one.

mOQPM4z.jpgMN5criq.jpg

I did a quick and crude spray of the MRP colors on a 1/144 Flanker.  It's my first time spraying this company and they really do go on nice. So far I like the colors, I reckon I'll do a bigger test on an old 1/48 kit to see how they appear on a larger area before deciding if and how to tweak them.

8IziiPR.jpgnHrNnOf.jpg

On 5/29/2018 at 10:38 AM, Vaildog said:

Looks off to me.

The Dude mention he used Akan set 47325, which is the set for Su-27SM prior to 2013.

The set they indicate for the current scheme on Su-27SM, Su-30SM, Su-35S and Yak-130 is 47332.

Edited by Inquisitor