Kinetic RCAF 20 years CF-18 up for pre-order

1 hour ago, Gunny said:

I don't understand why folks will pay so much more for a kit with special release decals when said kit is otherwise the same doggone kit with the same plastic parts as one released in another boxing? Geniunely cuirious & not trying to slam anyone or bust your balls in a public forum. I'm legit man-to-man curious. However, I do have a kit or two of these Candian Hornets & I have no need for the decals being the plastic is all the same except for some of the kits that had the inaccurate stabs. I use aftermarket decals with all of my biulds. If anyone has another boxing of another Kinetic Hornet that can be made into a CF-188 (pretty much any Kinetic Hornet) that will depict this special Demo Hornet, then send me a line & we can work out a frag o.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Because these boxings sell well to Canada and other parts of the world. This kit was priced right too, it wasn’t anymore than the standard kit.

If Colin doesn’t get the decals from you I am interested.

What "Scooby" said. I liked the markings, knew they were going to be good quality, the price was great, so I may as well grab the kit with the markings I want rather then having to buy an aftermarket  set. But, each to their own.

Regards,

Don

On 9/12/2018 at 9:35 PM, Colin K said:

Are you saying you bought the new kit, with the demo decals and have no use for said decals?  

I have the CF-188A 2017 Demo Bird. Is this the kit with markings you were looking for? I just checked in the dungeon & it’s 2017. I think I might have misunderstood the comm about which demo decals are being discussed. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny
54 minutes ago, Gunny said:

I have the CF-188A 2017 Demo Bird. Is this the kit with markings you were looking for? I just checked in the dungeon & it’s 2017. I think I might have misunderstood the comm about which demo decals are being discussed. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Ok, all good.  I already have the 2017 jet built and another in the stash.

In answer to your question, the markings for the 20th Annuversary Hornet have been out of production for many years.  As Scooby mentioned earlier, Canadian Hornet demo schemes are a popular sell, especially in Canada.  Also, as Raymond mentioned, Kinetic has been able to keep the price very reasonable.  Truth be told, when the generic CF-18 kit came out, it retailed at $110 Canadian, at my local store.  When the 2017 demo came out, it retailed at $87, as will this new release, I suspect.

I've also been wanting to do a new build of the 2002 demo, and with this release, I now have that opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Colin K said:

Ok, all good.  I already have the 2017 jet built and another in the stash.

In answer to your question, the markings for the 20th Annuversary Hornet have been out of production for many years.  As Scooby mentioned earlier, Canadian Hornet demo schemes are a popular sell, especially in Canada.  Also, as Raymond mentioned, Kinetic has been able to keep the price very reasonable.  Truth be told, when the generic CF-18 kit came out, it retailed at $110 Canadian, at my local store.  When the 2017 demo came out, it retailed at $87, as will this new release, I suspect.

I've also been wanting to do a new build of the 2002 demo, and with this release, I now have that opportunity.

When the CF-188 came out it has been handled by previous distribution network. 

Starting from 2018 Jan we have setup Kinetic North America and redefine the MSRP in North America. Now it make more senses for a hornet at CAN 87 than 110

No worries, Colin & R. Chung. Didn’t want to offend anyone. I can understand why the Canadian modelers would appreciate the special demo Hornets. I’d not even thought about so, my apologies, since we all have a hobby in common. As I look through all my Kinetic Hornets It’s quite evident that someone put some nice time/work on those sheets for an OOB build if anyone so chooses. My kit decals are usually relegated to a spares binder. Since US MIL aircraft kits are fairly common place out there, It’s fairly easy to find so many aftermarket USMC, USAF, USN decals available-especially for the well selling kits for the same aircraft that served with many other 1:1 air forces & navies as well. Sorry about the confusion, gents!

Semper Fi, 

Masterguns 

Edited by Gunny
2 hours ago, Gunny said:

No worries, Colin & R. Chung. Didn’t want to offend anyone. I can understand why the Canadian modelers would appreciate the special demo Hornets. I’d not even thought about so, my apologies, since we all have a hobby in common. As I look through all my Kinetic Hornets It’s quite evident that someone put some nice time/work on those sheets for an OOB build if anyone so chooses. My kit decals are usually relegated to a spares binder. Since US MIL aircraft kits are fairly common place out there, It’s fairly easy to find so many aftermarket USMC, USAF, USN decals available-especially for the well selling kits for the same aircraft that served with many other 1:1 air forces & navies as well. Sorry about the confusion, gents!

Semper Fi, 

Masterguns 

I’m friends with the graphic artist that designed the schemes on the actual jets. He is supposed to be retired now but he continues to design. He was a civilian graphic artist employed in one of our Hornet Squadrons. I ran into him this summer and he said he is up to 55 paint jobs now. He even designed the jet I initiated the suggestion for in my squadron. The decals for the Canada 150 (150th anniversary of our nation) jet that you have was his design from last year. He was very proud of that one as the scheme was also put on Canada’s bobsleds in the Winter Olympics. Billions of eyes got to see his design in the Olympics. The unveiling of the bobsleds was in a hangar with the 150 jet.

I also know the decal designer, he does great work. He owns Leading Edge Models. Nice to see his work being printed by Cartograf now.

I don’t think you offended any of us, you had a valid question.

The Kinetic Hornet was the brainchild of a good friend of mine who passed away recently from cancer. I wish he would have been alive to see the kit released. Raymond deserves thanks too, he was also good friends with Rick.

Edited by Scooby

I already have Leading Edge decals for 2 or 3 very colorful CF-188s, but I am having a hard time resisting the latest CF-188 offerings from Kinetic. I just love the Canadian anniversary schemes.

I'm repeating myself. Just looked through the earlier posts in the thread and I posted virtually the same thing already. Oh well... :doh:

Edited by Mstor
  • 2 months later...

Just a couple of things if you are intending to build this kit.  The IFF antennas in front of the windscreen needs to be removed.  188720 was never upgraded, so it did not have them.

At Step 25, they show the correct part number (P6), but show a swept back antenna.  P6 is the straight antenna, which is correct for 188720.  Just a heads up to avoid any confusion.

At Step 26, the instructions tell you to put part E83 beside the nose gear door.  You should actually place part P7 there instead.  Part E82 should go where the instructions tell you to put part P7.

Last bit of info is that the kit seat will be incorrect for this jet.  You'll need to replace the NACES seat with an SJU-5/6 seat.  Only the upgraded jets received NACES seats.

These differences were not identified in the instructions.

Edited by Colin K