"Coming soon" definition

Howdy folks.  Just a little question.  I've never purchased/used Caracal decals before.  However, I saw that Caracal has a set of F-89A/B decals (#48134) "coming soon".  I was just curious as to what "coming soon" means in Caracal-speak.  I'm pretty stoked about getting this set to replace the kit decals and I was just wondering how long my jitters of excitement can be expected to last.  LOL!  A month?  A year?  More?  I hope it isn't the "more" part.

Thanks!

Eric

It varies depending on subject. The 1/48 RF-101A/C has been "coming soon" for nearly 4 years due to Kitty Hawk dragging their feet releasing this kit. It will eventually happen later this year though. 

But overall, kit permitting, it is usually a couple of months out. 

Best suggestion is to head over to the Caracal decal forum and ask Kursad directly for this perticular sheet. 

I only list something as "coming soon" when I think everything is in place to design and release a sheet within 3-4 months. Occasionally something happens: the details of a small marking on the aircraft has been lost to time, sometimes the kit itself gets delayed, sometimes there is an unexpected kit re-releases and it would be a better use of printing funds to quickly do a sheet for the new kit. In the end, I think I did a pretty good job of delivering what I promised.

I occasionally get e-mails criticizing me to have something listed as "coming soon" for a long time. Please give me a break - this is not a government office or something, and the dates I give are not contractually or legally binding. 

Long story short: there will be a Caracal F-94A/B sheet (CD48134 is for F-94, not F-89). Perhaps not tomorrow, sorry. But I will release it before the end of 2018.

Hi Kursad and than you for responding.  The tone of a post can be hard to judge and I hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic or mean-spiritted in any way.  Since I have only recently come across Caracal decals, I didn't know if Caracal had sort of a standard process that said something like "Okay, when we're about XX months out from releasing a decal sheet, that's when we'll show it to be coming soon."  It's just that when I saw that someone was producing a set of decals for the Hobbycraft F-94A (I mistakenly wrote F-89 up above, I meant F-94), I got pretty excited since those early U.S. jets are some of my favorite subjects.  Several months ago, I purchased the kit and didn't bother to realize I purchased the "A" variant rather than the "B" variant.  The kit decals are pretty bad and there really aren't any aftermarket decals for the "A" version.  There are lots of aftermarket decals for the "B" and "C" versions.  Hence my excitement and eagerness for the release of your decals.

Again, thank you for the response shedding some light on my query.  

Best wishes,

Eric

Edited by echolmberg
Misspelled "purchased".

Good to know!  I'm just about to finish up my latest build and I keep eyeing up my F-94 as my next build.  However, I'll put it off until the decals come out at which point I will throw my money at Caracal.  

In the mean time, I know that in my first post above, I accidentally said "F-89" when I meant to say "F-94".  Actually, the F-89 is my second most favorite plane so if Caracal would like to make some decals for the F-89C, I'll firehose my cash directly into their bank account.

Eric

2 hours ago, echolmberg said:

Good to know!  I'm just about to finish up my latest build and I keep eyeing up my F-94 as my next build.  However, I'll put it off until the decals come out at which point I will throw my money at Caracal.  

In the mean time, I know that in my first post above, I accidentally said "F-89" when I meant to say "F-94".  Actually, the F-89 is my second most favorite plane so if Caracal would like to make some decals for the F-89C, I'll firehose my cash directly into their bank account.

Eric

I will be doing an F-89C sheet early next year - I really like that aircraft and I think it needs better decals. My plate is pretty full until the end of the year, though..

I did some more work on the F-94 sheet yesterday, so your post actually helped speed the process up. This won't make it to the July or August batches, but chances are high that you will see it in September.

I don't know about you, but I have tons of Kursad decals already.  I love 'em and will buy more, but I am in no hurry for new releases.  If he never produced another decal I still have enough subjects of his to last my lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!!    😲

22 hours ago, KursadA said:

I will be doing an F-89C sheet early next year - I really like that aircraft and I think it needs better decals. My plate is pretty full until the end of the year, though..

I did some more work on the F-94 sheet yesterday, so your post actually helped speed the process up. This won't make it to the July or August batches, but chances are high that you will see it in September.

F-94 sheet coming out soon.  An F-89C sheet coming out next year.  I'm just going to say this now:  Caracal is now my favorite decal maker!!!!!  Those '50s era jets were so colorful and they're my absolute favorites!  Thank you, Caracal, for showing some love to an oft ignored era.

Eric

I appreciate hearing about new releases -- whether kit or decal -- but I never feel anxiety waiting for them. God knows I have enough models in my stash to last the rest of my life! When a new release is delayed, I just breath and go back to the workbench.

All good things to those who wait.  🙂

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

• 4 months later...

Hello Kursad!

It's me, the pest, again.  LOL!  I'm just excited to hear about any progress that might have been made on the F-94A decals.  Also, I know you had mentioned that you're planning on releasing some F-89 decals next year.  I don't know if you can reveal this now or what but, by any chance, would you be able to tell us for which variant (B, C, H, etc.)?  Just super curious.  I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve!

Thanks,

Eric

3 hours ago, echolmberg said:

Hello Kursad!

It's me, the pest, again.  LOL!  I'm just excited to hear about any progress that might have been made on the F-94A decals.  Also, I know you had mentioned that you're planning on releasing some F-89 decals next year.  I don't know if you can reveal this now or what but, by any chance, would you be able to tell us for which variant (B, C, H, etc.)?  Just super curious.  I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve!

Thanks,

Eric

Hey there - I made lots of progress,  basically I have two F-94A/B sheets almost ready. Not sure if I can release them before the end of the year; but you will see them soon. I will also release the unique Lockheed serial numbers for T-33/F-94 as a separate sheet under the Caracal Models Basics line.

Thank you Kursad!  I truly appreciate the update and am very excited about the soon-to-be new releases.  As I've mentioned in the past, I've never purchased a Caracal Model set of decals but, from the way everyone raves about them, I can't wait to get my hands on an upcoming set or two (or more)!

Best wishes,

Eric

• 4 years later...

On 5/30/2018 at 10:03 AM, KursadA said:

Hello!  Gonna dig up this oldie of a thread to ask Kursad what the future might hold for those F-89C decals.  

Thanks!

Eric

Still on the drawing table - of all the various subjects I worked on over the years, I find those from the period 1949-1960 to be the most difficult to research. A lot of the unit markings that I would like to include basically seem to be lost in time; with no references except a tattered cloth patch or badly-drawn reproductions.

Kursad,

I noticed you have an F-86 sheet in the works.

I'm currently building an F-86F (6-3 wing), I decided to go with "Beaut(i)eous Butch" for lack of other available options that interest me but if you have something cool coming up soon...? It has to have the 51st chequer tail though and no shark mouth (can't stand them 🙂 ).

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Thank you, Kursad.  I find it rather amazing and sad that the period of early jets seems to be lacking in terms of good quality photos and reference material.  I've always wondered how many priceless photos are stashed away in people's old totes and storage bins.