Not sure if they (the other movies) are all "officially" on hold yet as there are conflicting reports but most certainly Disney/Lucasfilm are in full on panic mode after Solo's box office flop, plummeting toy, book and video game sales and overall fan backlash. Fans were pretty outraged at the debacle and outright nightmare that TLJ was and there's a really strong boycott of anything and everything SW related going on amongst hard core SW fans the world over. Couple that with public comments criticizing and berating SW fans by Rian Johnson, JJ Abrams, Chuck Wendig (terrible SW author IMO), Kathleen Kennedy and others at Lucasfilm and Disney has a real problem on their hands. Also...too many SW movies in too short a time span with most just being "o.k" and not stellar.

Personally I'd ditch Rian Johnson in a hot second as the fans won't see any SW movies directed by him (they would be Solo on steroids for box office flops), drop JJ as the fans resent his comments, send Wendig packing because he sucks,  fire Kennedy yesterday and hire Dave Filoni. Filoni knows SW and is a huge fan himself and surrounded Rebels and The Clone Wars animated series with people of like mind. Put him in the drivers seat, let him pick his people and I truly believe we'll see the kind of SW movies we've been waiting for. Bottom line something has to be done as the current crew at Lucasfilm have lost the core SW fan base.

Just my two cents. Have a good weekend all!

As much as I hate that SW is being hurt. I have to agree that change is warranted and needed. I wasn't thrilled with the direction they were taking and TLJ just sealed it for me. You could see they were dipping their feet into the pool to see what they could insert into the universe and start changing and it thankfully is going over like a lead balloon. Now the real hope is that wiser heads will get together and salvage it and bring it back strong. I don't want it to go away. And honestly I don't mind the almost yearly release provided it's handled in a way to keep the freshness alive. The idea of spin off Star Wars Stories was good in my mind. BUT they have to be relevant and handled well. Otherwise you end up with....well...what they have. And it ain't the fans fault. It's squarely on them. 

Bill

11 hours ago, niart17 said:

And honestly I don't mind the almost yearly release provided it's handled in a way to keep the freshness alive. 

Bill

It's also a great excuse to get more new Bandai Star Wars kits...….

BTW, JJ Abrams (and now Kurtzman) has done dis-service to the Star Trek legacy, so it's now surprise that Star Wars was heading for the crapper......

I haven't seen it yet, but I think after Infinity War and Deadpool 2 it was doomed.   If they had stuck with the more typical December Star Wars release instead of releasing it behind the blockbuster Avengers and very strong Deadpool movie it was doomed to fail.   Movies aren't cheap.   I would like to see it, but I'll wait until it is available for purchase on Amazon.   

I hope they don't stop the Star Wars stories, but a Han Solo was risky because to the fans there is only one Han Solo, Harrison Ford.    I think an Obiwan movie with Ewan MacGregor would have been fine, and Boba Fett movie would do very well.   I'd love to see a Rogue Squadron movie.  

I guess it depends on the level of accuracy of this and similar "unnamed sources".

Star Wars 'Anthology' Films Put On Hold - Report

By George Marston, Newsarama Contributor | June 22, 2018 07:42pm ET

https://www.space.com/40974-star-wars-anthology-films-put-on-hold-report.html

Lucasfilm has suspended development on its current Star Wars "anthology" films, according to Collider.

Citing unnamed sources at Lucasfilm, Collider reports that work on a rumored Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone film and director James Mangold's purported Boba Fett movie are among the planned films now on hold. Instead, it's reported, Lucasfilm will focus on 2019's Star Wars Episode IX, and a planned trilogy to take place after that film.

What is the airspeed validity of an unnamed source?

Edited by southwestforests

Ironically more SW fans would have welcomed a properly done  Boba Fett and/or Obi-Wan movie well over the current Solo movie. Heck, I'd wager the fans would take either movie over Episode IX!  Right now interest in Episode IX has completely tanked and flat lined since the horror show that was TLJ coupled with JJ's (and others at Lucasfilm) asinine comments berating SW fans. Talk about biting the hands that feed you!  Also, the planned trilogy is supposed to be directed by none other then Rian Johnson of TLJ debacle...great idea Kennedy:thumbsup:. Kennedy and the others at Lucasfilm have completely lost the core SW fan base. As I wrote earlier, in my opinion Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson and a host of others at Lucasfilm need to be shown the door and soon if Disney hopes to salvage SW.

3 hours ago, Don said:

Ironically more SW fans would have welcomed a properly done  Boba Fett and/or Obi-Wan movie well over the current Solo movie. Heck, I'd wager the fans would take either movie over Episode IX!  Right now interest in Episode IX has completely tanked and flat lined since the horror show that was TLJ coupled with JJ's (and others at Lucasfilm) asinine comments berating SW fans. Talk about biting the hands that feed you!  Also, the planned trilogy is supposed to be directed by none other then Rian Johnson of TLJ debacle...great idea Kennedy:thumbsup:. Kennedy and the others at Lucasfilm have completely lost the core SW fan base. As I wrote earlier, in my opinion Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson and a host of others at Lucasfilm need to be shown the door and soon if Disney hopes to salvage SW.

There are actually TWO Star Wars trilogies that are (were?) in the works. The first by Rian Johnson and the second trilogy by David Benioff and  DB Weiss, the current show-runners for Game of Thrones

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/06/media/game-of-thrones-creators-star-wars/index.html

Mario Van Peebles is dreamy!!!

Oh wrong Solo.

I saw it last Sunday and I really liked it! A good action movie with tie ins and nods to other SW characters.  I think Ron Howard did a fine job and did anyone notice the 1 second of screen time he once again gave his Brother? The young actors portraying Solo and Lando totally nailed it as I saw glimpses of both Ford and Billy Dee in both of them.

Totally stoked at the reveal at the end!

Max Bryant

Regardless of how the public received the new Star Wars films, I'm sure the shareholders and merchandisers aren't happy with the franchise's current direction. Sales were disappointing for TLJ and definitely worse now. This comes after Hasbro said they were changing strategies for Solo after relatively poor TLJ toy sales, they most likely had bigger expectations of the new film.

What surprises me is how one of the folks at Disney lamented Solo's poor box office performance in China, a country that has shown many times how little it cares for Star Wars.

8 hours ago, kaz said:

What surprises me is how one of the folks at Disney lamented Solo's poor box office performance in China, a country that has shown many times how little it cares for Star Wars.

That's because they didn't pay any attention when the Chinese pulled TLJ out of theaters after just three weeks because it tanked so fast...…...

I saw it over the weekend, I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.  I think it's a good movie.  For the long time Star Wars fan it has a lot of references to things in some of the books.   It's really tough to recast an iconic character like Han Solo, but it was close.   Lando was dead on, and the other characters were well done.    I don't think the movie did poorly because of the quality,  they had to wait far too release a trailer, and it had a lot of bad press.  Plus the timing was off, they shoehorned the release in between Infinity War, Deadpool, Jurassic World, and the Incredibles.   It seems like it would have made more sense to hold it to the December release of the last three Star Wars movies where it would have less competition. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did enjoy Solo.  I think Ron Howard pulled a rabbit out of a hat to save this film.  .

Disney/ Lucasfilm needs to do damage control however.  Darth Kennedy MUST Be vanqwished.   Somehow we need to turn back time and stop TLJ from ever being released....

It wasn't bad...

But star wars just ain't what it used to be.

The idea has been sucked dryer than a blue balled jiggalo, and many many years ago.

Let it die. Create a DIFFERENT space opera.

Are we THAT unwilling, as a movie going public, to see something new?

To hell with superheroes, and star wars and trek, and remakes, and all that whole bucket of crap! There are so many other stories to tell!

8 hours ago, RKic said:

It wasn't bad...

But star wars just ain't what it used to be.

The idea has been sucked dryer than a blue balled jiggalo, and many many years ago.

Let it die. Create a DIFFERENT space opera.

Are we THAT unwilling, as a movie going public, to see something new?

To hell with superheroes, and star wars and trek, and remakes, and all that whole bucket of crap! There are so many other stories to tell!

I just watched Pixar's "Coco" last night. I didn't know what to expect, but like every Pixar film I've watched, I found myself in tears by the end. Man do they know how to tell a story! Unfortunately, even Pixar has succumbed to the sequel. Toy Story 4, Incredibles 2 (even though I LOVED it!), Cars 3. Coco was a nice change of pace.

• 3 months later...

I'm going to dig this thread up because I can't find another thread anywhere else worth talking on and I only just recently saw this (DVD release folks - I feel cheap streaming it) and really liked it enough to want to talk about it or at least just say my thing about it and move forward with my life

I'm gonna come right out and say it but I really liked this movie - 🙂 despite what all those "Russian Troll warehouses" are telling us 😄

I liked the small connections  to TFA and TLJ; like how Kiera I reckon will go on to be Phasma and there was another one but I've forgotten what it was right now which doesn't help me sell my case...

I didn't really like the Marauder bit at the end where essentially a teenager asks Han to join their new start up rebellion enterprise. I was under the impression that the Rebel Alliance was already in swing before Han and the Marauders came along? To me, that part just felt tacked on and unnecessary but not enough to ruin the whole movie for me. 

I LOVE the new look Falcon so much more than the original version! That escape pod is just perfect. One of the reasons I bought the DVD was because I saw images of the Falcon. That blue trim is just perfect and best of all - it's not all weathered to hell and back. Naturally, I have bought the Bandai kit....:whistle:

The actors were fine and didn't disappoint - well, almost all of them. The female droid whilst funny at times was generally getting more and more annoying - kinda like Jar Jar Binks was in TPM.

The special effects were really well done - the hove car scenes - for the most part, really gave you a feeling he was actually driving something and not just a green screen pretend car if you know what I mean.

And last but definitely not the least - how cool was it to see the components of the Star Destroyer like the Bridge and the Shield Generators, being carried up to the hull?! I thought that was really neat. And how evil did it look in that Maelstrom? That was one of my favourite shots in the movie and also a reason why I am keeping the Bandai box art!

OK cool - well, I think I've said my bit so you can go back to your regular channel but thanks for indulging me 🙂

MH

I did not enjoy The Last Jedi.  I didnt see Solo in theaters (but only because I was in the middle of moving cross country and not because of the movie) but I rented it on demand and lasted 25 minutes before turning it off.  I won't waste my hard earned bucks seeing a Star Wars movie in a theater again for some time.  

But - Bandai Star Wars models will be bought!

18 minutes ago, adamitri said:

I havent seen it and, well, I dont even know if i want to.  I dont really like how Disney has rewrote the universe. I did like Rogue One though so thats a plus.

Yep, same here.

I liked it just fine I thought it was a pretty decent action flick that had elements of Star Wars included. both actors that played solo and Calrissian were very good, imho.

The one thing I did not care for,  was what they turned the Kessel Run into. here for decades I thought the Kessel Run was some magnificent race the Falcon was in.

Max Bryant 

Edited by mightymax
Spelling

Disney and its Lucasfilm leadership have pretty much driven me away from the Star Wars big screen stuff. I'll save my money and just not go nor buy/rent. Haven't seen Solo and won't until I find it free somewhere.

Now this is exciting to me:

I really enjoyed The Clone Wars and I admire Dave Filoni's work.  He's taking on more and more work at Lucasfilm and I really hope he replaces Kennedy before too long as leader of Lucasfilm.

Regards,

Don 

17 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Me, a 30 year star Wars die hard fan... After the disaster, waste of human and money, vomit of the Last Jedi wouldn't even bothered to see it. Not even sorry about it. Disney can go and enjoy itself. 

Must be one of those Russian trolls. 😁  (but I somewhat agree so I must be a Russian troll as well, who knew?)

I finally saw it the other day. It was ok. Not something that I think is as great as it could have, or should have been. I thought he did a good job portraying Han and Danny Glover was good as Lando. They didn't beat anyone over the head with a whole lot of preachyness, though hints were there, it didn't take away from the story. I did like the crudness and dirty look of the Imperial Troops in the battle scenes. I thought that was really well done and convincing. Sorry to the purist (which I'm close to being) but white armor is NOT going to stay clean anywhere in actual battle. but yeah, it was ok. Not great but I'll watch it again.

Bill