36375/36320 Comparisons?

Someone recently posted a comparison of the various paint manufacturers' efforts at FS36440. I was wondering if anyone has done this for 36375/36320? I'm using MRP on my current OA-4M build and while MRP sprays beautifully, I'm not sold on the accuracy of the colors as they're nearly indistinguishable. I know they're close in real life, but not this close. To my eye, it seems 36320 is too light and 36375 is too dark.

What it should look like:

19g93ll.png

What it looks like with MRP:

aC6gLl8.jpg

Obviously this build is a done deal, but I'm curious about other options for next time.

Edited by picknpluck

It looks good to me. I had this problem on my last build. The decals which are spot on to the FS manual disappeared on my painted plane.

320 is a tad darker then 375. But not by much.

I build a lot of Modern Navy/Marine A/C. I'd love to see a color chip comparison on this subject for sure!

As for me I use Model Master and MRP while they are a bit different I like both. Once I fade and weather my A/C models you really cant see any true separation in the colors. In real life unless it's factory fresh you can't see it either. 

BTW Your paint looks SPOT ON! 

1 hour ago, viper730 said:

In real life unless it's factory fresh you can't see it either. 

You can certainly see the difference between LGG and DGG in real life, even on a weathered Navy jet such as this one posted by Collin in the other thread:

170331-N-IE397-004.JPG

On Air Force jets, such as the F-15A or F-15C, the difference is even more noticeable.

2 minutes ago, RichardL said:

You can certainly see the difference between LGG and DGG in real life, even on a weathered Navy jet such as this one posted by Collin in the other thread:

170331-N-IE397-004.JPG

It's also clearly noticeable in the pic of the actual OA-4M I posted, which also happens to be the same airframe I'm building.

Seems like the colors have merged closer together than they used to be in the Model Master Line. I tried some recently and they weren't too bad. If add a few drops of Light gray 36495 to the 36375 just to add contrast. Or conversely, a drop or 2 of 36164 intermediate Blue to the 36320. But I wouldn't adjust both. 😉 challenges with decals - we print 36375 and 35237 FS colors and tbey match MM dead on. 

Brian

2 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I see what you mean. There is most definitely a distinction between the two colors. BTW, your build is looking great. 

Thanks Darren! BTW, do your intake covers for the Hasegawa kit work with Monogram?

1 minute ago, picknpluck said:

Thanks Darren! BTW, do your intake covers for the Hasegawa kit work with Monogram?

I'm not sure. I've never tried. I have a set specifically for the Monogram kit, but they are integral with the intakes. I don't think you want to cut away the intakes at this stage of the game. BTW, when I first saw your pictures, I thought you'd used the SB OA-4M set to convert the Hasegawa kit. I had to go back and look when you said it was the Monogram kit. That makes your build even more impressive!

1 minute ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm not sure. I've never tried. I have a set specifically for the Monogram kit, but they are integral with the intakes. I don't think you want to cut away the intakes at this stage of the game. BTW, when I first saw your pictures, I thought you'd used the SB OA-4M set to convert the Hasegawa kit. I had to go back and look when you said it was the Monogram kit. That makes your build even more impressive!

Thanks! I found out about your Monogram intakes a bit too late. Definitely not chopping up the build at this point.

5 hours ago, viper730 said:

I'd love to see a color chip comparison on this subject for sure!

Here are a couple of pics I just took of the actual Federal Standard color chips:

ghost_grays.jpg.8b310b4d19693aeb62332e9d46d82dd1.jpg

As you can see, there is a pretty big difference between Light Ghost Gray and Dark Ghost Gray.

12 minutes ago, Vaildog said:

Wow rose look really dark. Do those colors fade or does bright sunlight make the lighter?

It's probably just the photograph is overall  dark. I'm guessing the envelopes are white. Also, both the colors show much bluer in the photo than do the chips in my 595B book.

I'm with Brian above: When I've done planes in the Ghost Gray scheme with Model Master paints, I've mixed a small amount of 36495 to the 36375 until the contrast with the 36320 looked right.

41 minutes ago, Vaildog said:

Wow rose look really dark. Do those colors fade or does bright sunlight make the lighter?

RichardL Thank you for the color chips.

check out these samples to blur the lines a bit more.....I especially like the 1st photo. look at the a/c in the foreground and it's slat and upper wing. Same color right 3620. the upper wing looks like 36375 and the slat area 36320 but it's the same color...Light, sun or overcast, reflective property of the paint and angle all change the shade....

VFA-102-squadron-photo-097.jpg

VFA-102-squadron-photo-108.jpg

VFA-102-squadron-photo-023.jpg

Edited by viper730
1 hour ago, Vaildog said:

Those are fairly new chips.  The photos were taken indoor, however.  I will try to snap some under natural daylight.

I know I will be in the minority here but I really dislike the Ghost Grey scheme on any aircraft. I shy away from building them because I think it's so hard to get them even close to pictures. Looking at the chips above it seems almost futile to accomplish. Then when you're done painting, you get the shock of the decals not being visible. I understand it's Lo-vis but on a scale model it's No-Vis. 

I paint a lot of both of these colors. It's amazing how each bottle can be different. I've had DGG from Model Master come out of the bottle all the way from being almost the same as LGG up to having a purplish tint that looks horrible. When that happens, I cut it down with LGG and it seems to get better. At the end of the day, though, I'm doing so much weathering that the beginning color really doesn't matter all that much.

30 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I paint a lot of both of these colors. It's amazing how each bottle can be different. I've had DGG from Model Master come out of the bottle all the way from being almost the same as LGG up to having a purplish tint that looks horrible. When that happens, I cut it down with LGG and it seems to get better. At the end of the day, though, I'm doing so much weathering that the beginning color really doesn't matter all that much.

I've had the exact same thing happen with MM Ghost Greys. You would think that paint manufacturers would have access to FS color chips just like modellers do. Matching them shouldn"t  be that tough.

1 hour ago, airmechaja said:

I know I will be in the minority here but I really dislike the Ghost Grey scheme on any aircraft. I shy away from building them because I think it's so hard to get them even close to pictures. Looking at the chips above it seems almost futile to accomplish. Then when you're done painting, you get the shock of the decals not being visible. I understand it's Lo-vis but on a scale model it's No-Vis. 

I think that's why the F-15 is one of the least compelling aircraft from a modelling perspective. It's hard to get the contrast to look right, and other than a different tail flash color or squadron badge the Air Force is pretty lame about unique schemes.  The F-18 which has so many compelling squadron logos and CAG jets designs that change on a yearly basis. Plus F-18s can be weathered in a million ways whereas most f-15s are pretty pristine. Especially during the Compass Ghost era.

47 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I paint a lot of both of these colors. It's amazing how each bottle can be different. I've had DGG from Model Master come out of the bottle all the way from being almost the same as LGG up to having a purplish tint that looks horrible.

I have the same issue. No purple shades but  I was amazed at the variance in each.   

Edited by viper730
3 hours ago, RichardL said:

It was not sunny this morning, so the photo below was taken outside under overcast sky:

You can clearly see the distinction between Light Ghost Gray and Dark Ghost Gray.

Those colors look MUCH closer to the chips in my 595B book. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Vaildog said:

I think that's why the F-15 is one of the least compelling aircraft from a modelling perspective ...

Ah, but the Mod Eagle Scheme is really sharp IMHO. I personally find the F-15 one of the most compelling jets. I'm heading toward the end of  Hasegawa -C build as we speak.