36375/36320 Comparisons?

I used to drive myself crazy over the right colors, but heres the deal I came to settle on:  Paints will weather differently, different batches will have differing levels of tint/contrast, differing levels of light from the sun make colors look lighter or different, the type of film used, editing software for photos, the list goes on and on.  The best thing I ultimately settled on was, if you find a good "match" stick with it, theres also an app called imodelkit or something like that which shows you how you how to mix equivalent colors with different brands (i.e. supposed you found a good color with Model Master but don't like their brand, the app will show you how to mix it with Tamiya or Mr. Hobby, etc.  I use heavily thinned whites, or light versions of the base color to adjust the "tint" to my reference photos I also use blues, greens, grey, etc depending on the base color to add interest and accuracy to it.  I find this "imperfect" method works a lot better and gives better and more realistic finishes after its all done.

• 8 months later...

Been testing AK acrylic, AK Real Air and Model Master. Big difference in 36375, 36320 and 35237 in all of them. AK Acrylic 35237 and 36320 are almost identical. Real Air 36320 is too purple and a touch too light. All 3 colors are close. I'd say 35237 is too light compared to the others. MM 35237 is dead on perfect to the FS color chip. 36375 is identical to 36320. This would be a bad batch, or at least one that people complain about. I've had them with more contrast and I'd add 10-20% 36495 to this one.

36081 for Real Air is light and arm. MM is blue and dark. Take your pick...

Going to test with fs match printed Fightertown Decals next to the colors to see what happens.

I'm waiting on an order of MRP to test theirs. YMMV.

brian

AK_RA_MM paint test.jpg

Great test! I’ve always done the same as you with the MM 36375, adding some 36492 or -5 to it. 

I tried 36375 from Mission Models, and it had a decidedly violet cast to it. I wrote to them and told them what I was seeing. They did respond, which was great, but they basically told me there was nothing wrong with their color. I bought another bottle, being open to the idea that I might have gotten a bad batch, and got the exact same result. I mixed the crap out of both bottles (Mission Models is tough to get mixed), and tested each, and got... the same result. Haven’t gotten to the 36320.