Top Gun 2 Production begins

19 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

Top Gun without the Tomcat is like having a bar with no booze- not many people will want to be going! 

It already has a bit of fantasy since Top Gun and even it's successor NSAWC are gone. The Super Hornet paint scheme is pretty cool though. 

Well, NFWS is gone, but doesn't Topgun remain as a course within NAWDC?

18 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Well, NFWS is gone, but doesn't Topgun remain as a course within NAWDC?

Hmm.. you know I don't honestly know how the Navy does air-to-air training once NSAWC was gone. For some reason I wanted to say that everything was combined with the Air Force, but I remembered VFC-111's F-5s. Are they aggressors? I don't think the old NFWS/ Top Gun insignia is being used anymore. I could be wrong. 

Either way, the glory days of cool jets blazing out of Miramar and Top Gun as it was are sadly past. 

In 1969, the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School (TOPGUN) was established to develop and implement a course of graduate-level instruction in aerial combat.  Today, TOPGUN continues to provide advanced tactics training for FA-18A-F aircrew in the Navy and Marine Corps through the execution of the Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor (SFTI) Course.  TOPGUN is the most demanding air combat syllabus found anywhere in the world.  The SFTI Course ultimately produces graduate-level strike fighter tacticians, adversary instructors, and Air Intercept Controllers (AIC) who go on to fill the critical assignment of Training Officer in fleet units.

From >>> here <<<

Section N7

So TOPGUN still exists today

-Gregg

That color scheme is... Super Boring. Looks like a knockoff of the Eastern Airlines “hockey stick” livery, only not cool. Light blue? Whose idea was that?

They should have recycled a defunct Tomcat squadron logo. VF-1, VF-114, VF-51... VF-51 would have been cool because Maverick’s dad flew with VF-51 in Vietnam.

Oh, well. Now they can high-five on their way out to the F/A-18F and say, “I feel the need, the need for FUEL!”

• 2 months later...

"There will be Tomcat fight in the movie? Why not."

True.  It's plausible....there's still one country that's flying F-14s..............Iran.  😉

"Maverick, how do we take out the Iranian F-14s?"      "Make 'em fly through your jet wash..."

Edited by arg
  • 11 months later...

Yep, called it, the character that looks like Goose, is indeed Goose's son, call sigh Rooster.  Not making this up.

The scene where he is talking to the two admirals, it lends credence to the "best we ever had, called out of retirement" plot device.

Still going to be a pass for me.

I don't care what you say that movie is going to make millions, no oscars, but people will flock to see it.  Most people don't care about realism (seen any of the cartoon...er comic book movies lately)

Geoff M

I'll be seeing it most definitely. My Son loved Top Gun and he's excited for TG2. Odds are it will be much better then the majority of garbage that hits the big screen these days.  We will be entertained and I am sure we'll have a good time.

Happy modeling!

19 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I watched that last night. Great review. There was another Hornet driver that did a video, I'll have to look to see if I can find it again, and he seemed to think that the "cobra move" was actually performed but with the camera cuts and angles, it's not as aggressive as the film makes it look. His assessment is that it was actually done for real.