Top Gun 2 Production begins

25 minutes ago, niart17 said:

...There was another Hornet driver that did a video, I'll have to look to see if I can find it again, and he seemed to think that the "cobra move" was actually performed but with the camera cuts and angles, it's not as aggressive as the film makes it look. His assessment is that it was actually done for real.

This one?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 5:44 AM, cag_200 said:

Seems the story is almost identical to the first movie?

Wingman dies...bedscene and a bombing run?

I've noticed the same things when I've watched the trailers.  I'll point out all the mistakes just like when watching the original.

4 hours ago, Viasistina said:

why don't we just enjoy the movie ?

Because it’s going to be stupid. The most credible and compelling adversary for the US Navy is China, but no American movie studio has the guts to dare offend China. 

While the plot may be bordering on the fictional side of things, I highly doubt with the level of aerial photography it will be anywhere close to stupid. People will nitpick at it for years but I imagine it will still be a fun movie to watch.

You've been busted, you've lost your qualifications as section leader three times, put in hack twice by me, with a history of high speed passes over five air control towers - and one admiral's Granddaughter!

😂

20 hours ago, Vaildog said:

Because it’s going to be stupid. The most credible and compelling adversary for the US Navy is China, but no American movie studio has the guts to dare offend China. 

Well it was the USSR in the 1980s with the original but there were no names named, and it was a red star, and of course it was borrowing from the Gulf Of sidra incident, which was Libya. The Original wasn't about World War III afterall. but some sparring. 

The US Navy's sole kill this century is from Syria, and not China. 

On 12/18/2019 at 9:13 AM, Don said:

Behind the scenes:

My brother showed me this preview and it did its job well. I watched it and thought "Well, it might not be a CGI suck fest." 

IF i see it. And thats an IF. my expectations are pretty low. Most of the movies i see today my expectations are near basement level. I just wanted to see some spitfires in Dunkirk. That worked out of course, but that was my level of expectation. "see some spitfires" so "see airplanes" is my level of expectation Top Gun 2. 

Its kind of sad how cynical all these bad movies have made us. If this was 10 years ago most people would be pretty darn excited about Top Gun 2, and 15 years ago with Tomcats still in play? foggit-about-it!

people are incredibly jaded now. We need a star wars movie to pull us out of this dark sad post vietnam film funk...oh wait. Forget i mentioned star wars 😞 or maybe just bring back the Tomcat? 😄

1 hour ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Its kind of sad how cynical all these bad movies have made us. If this was 10 years ago most people would be pretty darn excited about Top Gun 2, and 15 years ago with Tomcats still in play? foggit-about-it!

Just watch a couple of Iron Eagle movies before you watch TG2 and by comparison TG2 will look like Oscar material !!!

oh why can't anyone do a remake of Final Countdown eventually. Jolly Rogers Super Hornets against Jolly Rogers F-14As and then combined against whatever "bad guy" -  I won't mind CGI. 🙄

Apropo CGI, that is quite interesting / enterteining: 

On 12/29/2019 at 7:23 PM, Whiskey said:

While the plot may be bordering on the fictional side of things, I highly doubt with the level of aerial photography it will be anywhere close to stupid. People will nitpick at it for years but I imagine it will still be a fun movie to watch.

I've just watched the trailer (thanks to whomever found and posted it), and yes, the plot looks to be, in essence, a repeat of the original, given the time interval, but the technology of filmmaking, including the cameras and resolution, should make for an exciting visual experience (think Avatar); I have to admit the trailer got me going!  Will it be realistic?  No, but often, movies aren't realistic.  Unless documentaries, and explicit identified as such, movies are entertainment (not that documentaries can't be entertaining!)  I'm sure it will be frustrating, in particular, for those who are really in the know about military aircraft,  just like like any movies about nuclear power drive me nuts (I'm a nuclear engineer with 20 years of commercial nuclear power operations experience), but one must suspend belief when you walk into a Hollywood movie.  If you think it's going to frustrate or irritate you too much, don't go.

Edited by Curt B

Guys..it's a movie..there is no real life timeline.  The story could take place any year since the last movie.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:16 PM, Vaildog said:

On 6/2/2018 at 7:26 PM, Fishwelding said:

Does the Navy have "up-or-out" rules?  If so, what's the absolute latest year main character Pete "Maverick" Mitchell could still be a Captain in the Navy, if he was a Lieutenant in 1986?  😎

20 hours ago, Curt B said:

Will it be realistic?  No, but often, movies aren't realistic.  

The first one wasn't exactly realistic either. LOL

Maverick  could have "broken time" got out, went back in. Crazier stuff has happened, believe me. reality is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make a little sense 

On 1/1/2020 at 3:09 PM, Viasistina said:

Guys..it's a movie..there is no real life timeline.  The story could take place any year since the last movie.

Well, any time since Super Hornet were introduced anyway. But, the trailer has a scene where the length of his career is discussed, and presumably they have some answer for this.  Cruise is 57, the oldest actual Navy pilot was 54 as far as I know. It's a stretch , but only by a little and I wonder if that might change in the future- Reince Priebus just joined the Navy at age 46.