Top Gun 2 Production begins

Based on the discussion in one of the trailers, I think Maverick is recalled. And, I think he gets recalled because Iceman gets killed. (Kilmer is in the movie, but his real life voice is so toasted after his cancer that he cant hardly have a speaking role. Which makes me think something happened and the next best qual'd pilot is several years retired, hence his being a 30 year Captain)

But thats just me.

The one thing I find interesting, but means nothing, is that Mav is flying a Top Gun jet, yet has a VX-31 patch on his jacket...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 1:26 AM, Camus272 said:

Well, any time since Super Hornet were introduced anyway. But, the trailer has a scene where the length of his career is discussed, and presumably they have some answer for this.  Cruise is 57, the oldest actual Navy pilot was 54 as far as I know. It's a stretch , but only by a little and I wonder if that might change in the future- Reince Priebus just joined the Navy at age 46.

Well, I am 57 and I am a Naval Aviator.

I did not know there was an actual life expectancy of 54.

In that case I am living in uncharted territory.🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Well, I am 57 and I am a Naval Aviator.

I did not know there was an actual life expectancy of 54.

In that case I am living in uncharted territory.🤣🤣🤣

Cool! It seems the articles I have read have neglected some of you.  You would then have a better perspective on this than anyone- perhaps the movie isn't so much of a stretch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh man! I just watched that even without sound on and it got me pumped. Looking forward to it.

It would be a pretty cool build to do one of those hornets with all the cameras mounted in the back seat. hmmm.....

• 1 year later...

I watched the new trailer and am a little less excited about it now. Not sure, just something about it is looking more over the top with some of the effects. Sure, I'll probably go see it because ANY chance to see real fighter jets on the big screen is worth checking out. But a lot of the scenes in the new trailer are just a little too hard to believe. (under the bridge, really had to do that cliche'?) Just my take. 

Edited by niart17
2 hours ago, niart17 said:

I watched the new trailer and am a little less excited about it now. Not sure, just something about it is looking more over the top with some of the effects. Sure, I'll probably go see it because ANY chance to see real fighter jets on the big screen is worth checking out. But a lot of the scenes in the new trailer are just a little too hard to believe. (under the bridge, really had to do that cliche'?) Just my take. 

Pretty much the same for me - not finding it as interesting,for the same reasons you mentioned, but will still go see it.

It strikes me as a zoomed take on the original. More casual, flashier, with less emphasis on the core ideals of the military. Esp. when Goose's son (and to their credit Miles Teller does look like Anthony Edward's son in this role) talks to Maverick "My dad trusted you, I wont make that same mistake." Like holy crap, the trailers make it out to be like Captain Mitchell is training a group of Top Gun graduates for a behind-enemy-lines attack mission and ends up leading it and you have a junior officer speaking to their instructor and superior officer that way? If Maverick had ever addressed Viper that way he'd have been flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog crap out of Hong Kong!

Should be a fun movie to watch. I was in high school when the first one was released and they say it gave a boost to Navy recruitment.  Curious to see if this will have any effect.

Still, for my money, the best Navy / CVN movie is The Final Countdown.  Some great flying and flight deck scenes - very cool.

• 1 month later...

So far, the movie is getting good reviews.  Here's Rotten Tomatoes' editorial summary of the reviews:

"Top Gun: Maverick First Reviews: The Most Thrilling Blockbuster We've Gotten in Years Critics say the long-awaited sequel is a must-see on the big screen and not only potentially better than the original, but also one of the best Tom Cruise movies ever."

• 2 weeks later...

Very Simple, Spoiler Free Review:

Totally worth watching!!

Just remember what they say on the Fighter Pilot Podcast, "It's a movie, not a documentary."

If you loved TOPGUN, TG:M has plenty of Easter eggs, call-backs, fan service... (call it what you will). On that end, the movie delivered. 

However, it also totally stands on it's own! My son - 21 year old who isn't an avgeek of any kind - tagged along mostly because I invited him. Without ever having watched the first one, he still came out of the theatre buzzing

9 hours ago, Raceaddict said:

Very Simple, Spoiler Free Review:

Totally worth watching!!

Just remember what they say on the Fighter Pilot Podcast, "It's a movie, not a documentary."

If you loved TOPGUN, TG:M has plenty of Easter eggs, call-backs, fan service... (call it what you will). On that end, the movie delivered. 

However, it also totally stands on it's own! My son - 21 year old who isn't an avgeek of any kind - tagged along mostly because I invited him. Without ever having watched the first one, he still came out of the theatre buzzing

I second the above, if you like to nitpick stuff then avoid it but otherwise just go and enjoy it on the biggest screen possible.