Top Gun 2 Production begins

I'm back from the movie theater, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Yes there are a couple of inconsistencies but it's technically excellent overall and the scenario is very well done, sufficiently different that it's not a remake and yet sufficiently close to maintain the Top Gun spirit. And as a bonus the first thing my son asked once out was "did you not have decals to make Maverick's Super Hornet"? 🤩 (I do have the excellent Fightertown sheet 😅)

Go and enjoy!

Arnaud

My wife and I caught a matinee this afternoon.  I'm much more of a WWII buff, and really don't know much about modern jets, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  No spoilers, but the scene with Iceman was incredibly poignant.  Maverick's character is also given far more depth than in the original.  The "enemy" is never identified, and the aircraft insignia is fictitious, but based on the scenario and equipment it would pretty much have to be Iran.  As for minuses, for me the finale stretched believability way past the breaking point, and there was one moment that's supposed to be super tense, but if you couldn't see the resolution coming a mile away you're blind as a bat.  However, as mentioned above: it's a movie.  Just get the biggest, greasiest bucket of popcorn you can, sit back, and have a blast!

SN

I saw it yesterday with the wife. Most excellent movie, yeah there are lots of technical mistakes but it was enjoyable and the flying scenes were far better than the original. I like Tom Cruise as an actor, he has a handle on his part. I may disagree with his real life person but as an actor he is top notch! I am almost interested enough to do Revell's 1/48 F/A-18E, do they make decals for the plane he used in the suposedly Iranian raid? Not really interested in the "Top Gun" decals. jon

Edited by jonwinn

I am thinking it would be a lo vis scheme, maybe VFA-14 or VAF-151. I couldn't see any markings specific to the squadron on the planes in the movie. Just curious as I remember in the original Top Gun he used markings for a non combat unit of E2 Hawkeyes, VAW 110? jon

I just looked in a magazine and in a picture from the movie BOB, a RIO, has VFA-51, Screaming Eagles, helmet bag, and Fan Boy has a VFA-143 helmet, Pukin Dogs. So there are 4 squadrons mentioned, VF-151, VFA-14, VFA-143, VFA-51. At least they all flew or did fly the Hornet.

Edited by jonwinn

Saw the movie last night, and agree with most of the comments above.  It is a good movie, is it a perfect airplane movie, no, is it technically correct no, but it's a movie and a damn good one.  It has just enough nostalgia to connect it to the first one.   All the "throwbacks" are well done and placed at logical points in the movie, they are not just thrown in there for sh*ts and giggles.  I think what they did with Ice Man was well done, and the scene with Maverick is one of the best in the movie.  The aerial scenes are well done and seem mostly seamless when they cut to the CGI.  I did miss the A-4s though, and while I liked the Super Hornet before it became a movie star, I'm not sure it had the same presence as the F-14 on screen.  

I give it 4 stars, go see it as if you are watching the first one.  

This movie was excellent. The character interplay was good and all the hat tips and fan service was awesome. 

The final encounter was a little bit much. I think they could have trimmed the last Felon and Hangman out of it and still had a nice ending. Even if it is fanciful, seeing the F14 given one last hurrah was very nice.

Also there was a nice little spot of self-awareness in the dialogue that made me chuckle. I'm curious if anyone else caught it. 

Edited by TheGloriousTachikoma

Loved it! I saw the first movie when I was a budding fighter pilot trainee on the CF-5, about to go onto the Hornet. This movie brought back a lot of the feelings I had from the first one, and some memories of life on squadron.

This video, of a bunch of old Top Gun instructors talking about the movie, is extremely well done. They also liked the movie, and their discussion is frank without dissing the fun aspect (Hollywood touches) of the film.

ALF

In other movie news, saw the new Jurassic Park last night, and was disappointed.  Somehow the dinosaurs look more real in the original that is almost 30 years old than they do in the new movie.  The story is dumb, Bryce Dallas Howard is horrible, I don't care who her father is.   There are some nods to the first one (outside of Grant, Sattler) but it seems kind of forced and outta place.  

The star of the movie is the C-119, with some obvious CGI propellers 

It maybe I was hopeful and still riding the high from how great Top Gun was, but I was just disappointed in this movie 

I know I'm in the teeny, tiny minority, but this movie is a hard pass for me.  I just can't suspend my belief enough when it comes to the hollywood treatment of all aspects aviation in general.  Instead, I'm going to go with this:

gUKCwx.jpg

Like a great many of you, I'm a history buff, so I'm going to spend the rest of the summer reading this really thick book on the true history of the program.

8aEE08.jpg

If anyone is interested in the author being interviewed, its on YouTube and on the podcast channel:

i1haVv.png

Edited by IshyIsh

Ish, you're missing out. Don't go see the movie as a historical documentary, go for the pure entertainment of it. It is an extremely well done movie, and even actual Topgun and Naval Aviators have loved it. While there are technical errors due to the limitations of filming and keeping the story going, it is actually quite accurate in portraying what it's like to be up in a jet. I've seen it five times now, and plan to see it a couple more. It's that good. 

35 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Ish, you're missing out. Don't go see the movie as a historical documentary, go for the pure entertainment of it. It is an extremely well done movie, and even actual Topgun and Naval Aviators have loved it. While there are technical errors due to the limitations of filming and keeping the story going, it is actually quite accurate in portraying what it's like to be up in a jet. I've seen it five times now, and plan to see it a couple more. It's that good. 

What Darren said. It's a movie not a documentary. The Fighter Pilot Podcast your reference, also has an episode about the new movie. One of the Instructors he interviewed said that he has done everything you see the Hornet do in the movie. The plot is not original, but the execution is excellent.

If I had wanted to see a documentary I would watch PBS or WINGS. I went to be E N T E R T A I N E D! Not to be technically enlightened. It was a great popcorn n soda movie, that's all, I would see it again!!!!! jon

This movie was fantastic. Saw it on Imax with my oldest. I’m pretty careful with what I let my children watch and heard it was a clean flick, which it was. Wish they made more movies like this. The original played a huge role in the career path I made.

Be wary of the upcoming Buzz Lightyear movie, Fulcrum.  It’s being banned over here in the sandbox because it’s got a scene with two ladies kissing.  

I hear what you guys are saying.  I’d also like to add that watching documentaries can be just as entertaining for some of us.  I just spent 4 hours straight watching a documentary of the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant accident.  Time well spent for me, just that kind of guy.

For those with an interest in how the movies were made, as well as the real Topgun, check out the Fighter Pilot Podcast. Most recently he interviewed Kevin Larosa, the aerial coordinator for TG:M. Mr. Larosa is also the coordinator for the upcoming movie "Devotion" , Jesse Brown's story. 

I was duly impressed. Of course liberties must be taken, for flow if for nothing else, but their attention to detail on the flying scenes is impressive (Mav mentions having up to date ATIS info while taxiing in the Darkstar, training loadouts carried during the training mission, traded for live loadouts during the real mission, the whole Tomcat startup process (obviously not the entire dance, but enough to point out that Paramount knew the Tomcat was as much a star of the show as Tom Cruise... to the point of even mentioning pulled fuses in the RIO seat).

I was especially impressed with the Tomcat stuff, especially for knowing that a real tomcat was used for the ground stuff, but it is not readily apparent when they make the transfer to the CGI stuff. Did Heatblur have a hand in helping with the flying parts of the tomcat?

I'm one behind Darren. I've seen it four times, but I'm likely to hit it at least one more time before it leaves theaters.

Edited by Skull Leader
On 6/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, Skull Leader said:

I was duly impressed. Of course liberties must be taken, for flow if for nothing else, but their attention to detail on the flying scenes is impressive (Mav mentions having up to date ATIS info while taxiing in the Darkstar, training loadouts carried during the training mission, traded for live loadouts during the real mission, the whole Tomcat startup process (obviously not the entire dance, but enough to point out that Paramount knew the Tomcat was as much a star of the show as Tom Cruise... to the point of even mentioning pulled fuses in the RIO seat).

I was especially impressed with the Tomcat stuff, especially for knowing that a real tomcat was used for the ground stuff, but it is not readily apparent when they make the transfer to the CGI stuff. Did Heatblur have a hand in helping with the flying parts of the tomcat?

I'm one behind Darren. I've seen it four times, but I'm likely to hit it at least one more time before it leaves theaters.

Rookie. I'm up to seven times now and will see it again this week. 😂 AMC A-List is a wonderful thing to have!