Top Gun 2 Production begins

Only 2x here. Fantastic film, will go for a third time.

Skull leader, where did you read about the Tomcat ground work? Why I ask is because the engine start up looks so convincing I would almost be surprised if it's CGI. The way they captured the moment the afterburner lights is a perfect homage to the first film and exactly what we love about fast jets.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, Skull Leader said:

I was duly impressed. Of course liberties must be taken, for flow if for nothing else, but their attention to detail on the flying scenes is impressive (Mav mentions having up to date ATIS info while taxiing in the Darkstar, training loadouts carried during the training mission, traded for live loadouts during the real mission, the whole Tomcat startup process (obviously not the entire dance, but enough to point out that Paramount knew the Tomcat was as much a star of the show as Tom Cruise... to the point of even mentioning pulled fuses in the RIO seat).

I was especially impressed with the Tomcat stuff, especially for knowing that a real tomcat was used for the ground stuff, but it is not readily apparent when they make the transfer to the CGI stuff. Did Heatblur have a hand in helping with the flying parts of the tomcat?

I'm one behind Darren. I've seen it four times, but I'm likely to hit it at least one more time before it leaves theaters.

The Tomcat and Felons are actually reskinned Super Hornets. They shot them live then went back and skinned them.

11 hours ago, jbryan911 said:

The Tomcat and Felons are actually reskinned Super Hornets. They shot them live then went back and skinned them.

The Dark Star was a re-skinned Blue Angels #6 also ...

-Gregg 

I found the whole premise unrealistic.  And I'd really like to know how they built that enrichment plant in the middle of a canyon/crater with no road access for heavy construction equipment.  That whole scenario was concocted just for the "flying challenge".

Oh, and Jennifer Connelly was HOT... 🙂

CG, graphics, flying scenes all get a pass, even though most are bogus and impossible. But come on man…it was Star Wars all over again. 
I actually said it out loud during the movie, “Use the Force, Rooster. Use the force!”   All I could see was some head writer threw a bunch of old film names in a hat and told the staff to pull out four and make it work together.  
Top Gun + Star Wars + Iron Eagle + Tombstone = Maverick

And yes, I am a lot of fun at parties! :banana:

It was great fun -- makes me want to build F-18s now -- but I was kinda hoping they'd look more weathered  : )     And I miss the turbulence and shaking cockpits from the first movie, haha.      I thought the reason the mission had a Star Wars feel to it-- to torpedo the main reactor of the Death Star -  was because of Christopher McQuarrie.  Then I realized it wasn't Christopher but Ralph McQuarrie who was the Star Wars conceptual designer.  And then I just read Christopher McQuarrie was actually involved with the Rogue One script.  So yeah, maybe the influence was there.  

On 7/1/2022 at 5:19 PM, jbryan911 said:

Sernak, Same author different book. The Legacy is about 500 pages long.  I picked it up after hearing mentioned on the Fighter Pilot Podcast. Didn't realize if was that in depth.

Many thanks!

Thank goodness I had a return from the tax office so I can fund both purchases!!!

On 7/1/2022 at 6:25 PM, Scott Smith said:

CG, graphics, flying scenes all get a pass, even though most are bogus and impossible. But come on man…it was Star Wars all over again. 
I actually said it out loud during the movie, “Use the Force, Rooster. Use the force!”   All I could see was some head writer threw a bunch of old film names in a hat and told the staff to pull out four and make it work together.  
Top Gun + Star Wars + Iron Eagle + Tombstone = Maverick

And yes, I am a lot of fun at parties! :banana:

Good points Scott but, as the majority has already stated its purely entertainment. 

However, even for me - who I'm a big fan of the first movie - I can't resist the temptation and say that Tom attempted to re-interpret the original movie according to how the world is today and where naval aviation is heading.

I also heard that the scene during the training where Maverick breaks right is actually a two-seater hornet that the cgi geniuses at Paramount (or Skydance?) have managed to "convert" to a single seat.