How does a firebomber tank work?

Hi all,

Need info/picture how a typical retardant tank works. Does it have "bomb bay doors" that swing open, or a sliding gizmo, or what?

I think I'm onto an idea to simulate the "in-flight" slurry discharge, but I'm stuck on this detail. Any help?

Chip

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That's a CL-415, with its turboprop engines. The 215 has radial engines.

This is a CL-215T. Built in 1987 so it was retrofitted with the turboprop engines

40 minutes ago, riffraff said:

This is a CL-215T. Built in 1987 so it was retrofitted with the turboprop engines

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Learn something new every day! 

CL-215 dump doors.  Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre, 2012.   The museum is a must-see if you're ever in the area of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.  This photo is looking forward..the objects aft of the doors are the retractable scoops that allow the plane to fill the tanks while skimming a lake.  Of course there have been countless different types of dump doors used on the various modified warbird tankers over the decades.  If you're doing one of those, you'd really need to find a photo of the exact plane you're building.

SN

NJTUnU0h.jpg

Edited by Steve N

One of the earliest attempts at aerial firefighting were these "rollover" tanks, seen here on a DHC Beaver.  A simple pipe would allow the tanks to be filled while taxiing on water.  They had open tops, and could simply be rotated to spill over the side.  Obviously a fairly primitive system and not much of a load, but it was a start.  Again, at the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre.

SN

OrvF1sbh.jpg

What I'm building are the following: F-7F, P3 Orion, B-25, DC-9, TBM, and AS 350 helo.

(Oh yeah, I have a Canadair, too).

I've been collecting parts and decals for some time.. Just no pics of the actual mechanisms.

Chip