Hi everyone, I was trying to figure out a way to reduce my stash of about 300 kits. I had this idea for a modelling garage sale. In the sale I would sell kits (about 100), decals, books and aftermarket. I would sell items at a fair price and prices would be negotiable. I live in Burlington Ontario about a hour from Toronto and about an hour from Buffalo NY so I know there is a large modelling population in this area. The sale would be on a Sunday in the morning and into the afternoon. I have not yet picked a date.

The question I have is do you think that this is a good idea and if you are in the Burlington area would you attend?

Thanks;

Dave Petriw

I don't live in the area, but I think it's a great idea. Much more practical than selling online and dealing with the logistics of packing and shipping. Three random thoughts:

• I'm not sure that just 100 kits would entice folks to come unless they were really close by.
  • You might consider posting a list of what you'll be selling so folks will know if it's worth their time.
  • Be sure to price your models to sell. (My advice.) You'll have a lot of frustrated modelers in your house if you charge near-retail for everything.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Burlington Fl? Then YES!!!!!---John

Oooooppppsss just noticed Canada

Ever think of vacationing in FL?

Great area for tag sales!!!!!

Edited by john53

Dave

It might work but I would compile a list and send it to some of the local clubs including London's first to gauge who will come. Also be aware we're a frugal bunch as you know and we will travel for bargains so be prepared to be low balled.

Or go the show route and get a table our's is this fall.

Don

Thanks for all your input, it was just an idea I had. I am central to a large modelling community so it may be doable. Prices would not be retail and would be negotiable, I know that we are a frugal bunch and I respect that.

Thanks;

Dave,

Don is right. Burlington is "close". But what kind of kits? Have to be worth my drive . You would get a bunch of less then happy visitors if all you have is Frog and Match box for example.

A couple photos of what is for sale before hand will help.

Or get a table at Heritage con. They will sell as long as your prices are good.

I agree with the other posts. I'm in Niagara and I would prefer knowing what kits you have. Plus, DONG's correct. London's show is in September, Guelph's is in November and TorCan was just last weekend. To sell 'em at a show, where the modelling community is concentrated, would be a better strategy ... and we're all prepped for buying more stuff.

Pete

Good idea if there are enough modelers in the area. Also to consider, since it seems like you understandably don't want to deal with shipping etc... If you do list the kits you may have some people who are willing to daisy chain the sales to others that are not quite close enough to the area if they knew what you had to offer. I've seen that work before when some were going to an estate sale. One or so people might be close enough to the sale and would pick up some kits for others that are maybe a little further away but close enough to the first buyer's address to pass them along. Either way, it never hurts to try. At worst is just a day wasted sitting waiting for people to show or not show. Set up a build and spend your time working on something and then no waste at all. 😁

Bill