Phone Calls You Don't Want To Get

The phone rang today, and it was the wife calling.  She was driving by an accident that just happened: a woman on a bike that was hit by a truck.   She recognized the bike, because it was our daughter's bike.  Fortunately she came out of it and only had a few scrapes and bruises.  Give your loved ones a hug, because you never know.

I'm glad your daughter is OK. It must have been horrifying for your wife!

I do a lot of walking. I've been pushed down the road and skimmed several times. I've learned to NEVER, EVER, trust any driver in any vehicle until and only while you have eye contact. That also means never crossing in front of a car at night.

Thank heavens your Daughter is fine! Also good advice to squeeze your little ones a little more or a second or two longer.

Remember too that schools are letting out here in the U.S. and soon up in Canada. So there will be lots of kids out biking, skateboarding, and generally playing outside. Take a little extra care when out driving.

Regards,

Don

Thank you for the

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

I'm glad your daughter is OK. It must have been horrifying for your wife!

To put It mildly.  A local business caught it on tape, and if the impact hadn't pivoted her and thrown her the way it did the truck would have run over her and crushed her legs and/or pelvis.  Thank you all for the kind comments,

Regards,

Murph

22 hours ago, jabow said:

Whoa!!   So very glad ur daughter came thru,...... okay!!  We're NOT in charge!!  While ur huggin' ur daughter, I'll thanks the one WHO is in Charge!!

Bo

16 hours ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

I'm glad your daughter is ok, hope your wife wasn't too jangled!
Take care and you're right, you never know when your number is up!

Al P

Thank you for the kind words.  She's pretty sore today, but it could have been much worse.

Regards,

Murph

I, too, offer condolences and sympathy.  I long-ago took to heart that bicycles are legally entitled to use roadways.  It's a shame many cyclists ignore road rules which causes much antagonism towards them by automobile operators.

Murph,

Having investigated many of these types of collisions, I'm very happy to hear that your daughter has avoided serious injury.  I hope she recovers from her injuries, both seen and unseen, quickly and fully.

Mike Murphy

My Gosh I am glad she came out with only minor injuries. I ride my bike everyday. I must ride 2 miles to and from the trail, and if I am not almost killed at least once a ride it is astonishing. In that 2 miles one mile is through a wooded area. it used to be one car every 15 minutes but the area has grown and now it is almost steady traffic. So many drivers just refuse to move over two feet to go around me. Others seem distracted of course and cross onto the shoulder where I am. So far I am lucky but everytime I hear a car coming up behind me I wonder if this will be the one......

Hug your Daughter extra tight today!!!!

Max Bryant

16 hours ago, mightymax said:

Others seem distracted of course and cross onto the shoulder where I am.

No doubt they're busy texting.  Keep your head on a swivel.

9 hours ago, Kilo01 said:

I am so happy to hear that things turned out as good as it did.  Sending our best from my family (with an active daughter) to your family.

Thank you.

Regards,

Murph

Glad to hear she is OK. I saw that horror when I was 6, my brother

then 3 bolted across the road to catch up with my grandmother,

a car came down the road and hit him sending him 20 feet in the air

and rolling down the gutter. Luckily it was a glancing blow and not direct

head on, just a few weeks in the hospital. I ride my bicycle here in retirement

and when a motorist stops to let me cross I shake my head no and wave him

on. I have learned to trust no one!---John

3 hours ago, john53 said:

I ride my bicycle here in retirement and when a motorist stops to let me cross I shake my head no and wave him on. I have learned to trust no one!-

This!

20 hours ago, john53 said:

Glad to hear she is OK. I saw that horror when I was 6, my brother

then 3 bolted across the road to catch up with my grandmother,

a car came down the road and hit him sending him 20 feet in the air

and rolling down the gutter. Luckily it was a glancing blow and not direct

head on, just a few weeks in the hospital. I ride my bicycle here in retirement

and when a motorist stops to let me cross I shake my head no and wave him

on. I have learned to trust no one!---John

Thank you.  Glad to hear your brother made it through.

Regards,

Murph

Damn she was lucky Murph.

I'm a keen cyclist, though I do more on mountain bike trails than on the road these days.

The motorist vs cyclist war is alive and well in Australia.  In fact I think Australian drivers might be the World Champions of  irrational cyclist hatred.  I can understand the frustration in busy traffic areas like Sydney where bikes delay drivers,  and cyclists run red lights etc. and frankly I'd never ride a bike in Sydney.  But the vitriol is nearly as bad out here in the country where there is Sweet FA traffic & a cyclist wouldn't delay anyone by more than 10 secs.  I now ride with a Fly6 - a rear light that also has a camera.  The stupid & potentially deadly behaviour I've captured from motorists is frightening.

Glad to hear that she is OK Murph.  She was indeed very lucky.  Any parent of a teen (or older can relate).  Last month, my 18-year old daughter was rear-ended by a lady driving "distracted" (the police told me they were pretty sure this lady was messing with her phone).  Her car got totaled, pushed into oncoming traffic but thankfully no one else hit her.  She's ok but I'll never forget that call.  Nothing like answering a call from your daughter with her crying that she just got into a bad accident and hearing sirens in the background to turn your blood to ice water.  Now every time I see that she's calling me,  my blood-pressure goes up a bit.

4 hours ago, Thommo said:

Damn she was lucky Murph.

Yes, she was.  We are extremely conscious of that.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Glad to hear that she is OK Murph.  She was indeed very lucky.  Any parent of a teen (or older can relate).  Last month, my 18-year old daughter was rear-ended by a lady driving "distracted" (the police told me they were pretty sure this lady was messing with her phone).  Her car got totaled, pushed into oncoming traffic but thankfully no one else hit her.  She's ok but I'll never forget that call.  Nothing like answering a call from your daughter with her crying that she just got into a bad accident and hearing sirens in the background to turn your blood to ice water.  Now every time I see that she's calling me,  my blood-pressure goes up a bit.

The parent worry gene is never turned off.  Glad to hear your daughter was okay.  The amount of ridiculousness on the road by people driving a car while talking/texting never fails to amaze me.

Regards,

Murph