Phone Calls You Don't Want To Get

9 hours ago, 11bee said:

Glad to hear that she is OK Murph.  She was indeed very lucky.  Any parent of a teen (or older can relate).  Last month, my 18-year old daughter was rear-ended by a lady driving "distracted" (the police told me they were pretty sure this lady was messing with her phone).  Her car got totaled, pushed into oncoming traffic but thankfully no one else hit her.  She's ok but I'll never forget that call.  Nothing like answering a call from your daughter with her crying that she just got into a bad accident and hearing sirens in the background to turn your blood to ice water.  Now every time I see that she's calling me,  my blood-pressure goes up a bit.

Yup, I recall being at work and receiving that same call from our youngest daughter - "Dad, I had a car crash, but I'm OK".

I was thinking she's just had a little fender-bender in a car park or something but no, she'd been driving on a winding road in the wet, hit the brakes way too hard on a left hand corner and held her foot there (typical rookie error), the car did a 360 spin in her lane, then a 180 spin in the on-coming lane and hit the guard rails, rear first & then the front.  Luckily, no cars coming the other way or it would have been nasty.  Car totaled, she did not get a scratch, used up her get out of jail free card, and a big lesson learned.

My niece did similar last week in the wet - off the road, through a fence, across a paddock, stopped just metres from a creek which would have been nasty.  Car totaled not a scratch on her.

The Australian licensing system  does not leave young drivers prepared for when things go wrong.  I reckon 40 less hours on their Learners (they have to do 120 hours) and a compulsory half-day with an advanced instructor on a skid-pan would make young drivers much more prepared & aware.

Edited by Thommo