VFA-213 Color Accuracy

Hey Jake,

I just received your new 1/32 scale Super Hornet sheet.  I bought it with the intention of finishing my Tumpeter SH into a VFA-213 CAG bird. I don't know if I am seeing things but the inside of the squadron band below the cockpit appears to be closer to black than insignia blue.  Or is it suppose to be black?

Thanks,

Blain

Just as an FYI, on a sheet I had printed by Cartograf, the Insignia Blue used for a marking also appeared to be black. The difference was only noticeable by closely looking at it from certain angles.

Its a lovely decal sheet. All ready finished a VFA-87 SH. But I suggest you REALLY lighten the paint where the decals are going to go. They are very faint. Look awesome, but very little contrast if you use the colours out of the bottle.

Hey Phantom,

I noticed that with your build.  I thought it turned out nice.  I've had my SH 90% complete on the shelf waiting to be inspired.  I really wanted to do VFA-213.  Hopefully there is a resolution.  I appreciate the fact that Jake was willing to do 1/32.  There are not a lot of decals out there for this kit.

Hey Jake,

Have you had a chance to check?  I think the "Navy" decal also appears black.   I am trying to determine whether I should paint the stabs blue or go in a different direction.

Thanks!

I've double checked the artwork and all of my sheets that I've looked at do show them to be blue.  On the real jet the blue is on the victory stripe is very dark so I'm honestly pretty happy with how the decal looks.  I wonder how much it'll lighten up once applied to the model?

• 10 months later...

On 6/10/2018 at 6:19 AM, jmel said:

I've double checked the artwork and all of my sheets that I've looked at do show them to be blue.  On the real jet the blue is on the victory stripe is very dark so I'm honestly pretty happy with how the decal looks.  I wonder how much it'll lighten up once applied to the model?

Jake,

So what would you suggest for the vertical stabs?  You don't specify that in the instruction sheet.  Dark sea blue?