Fujimi 1/24 scale Martini Porsche 917 K

True what you said about ARC's nature as an aviation forum, but I think the non-aviation models got more attention before when there was only one in-progress section.

I was a bit jealous when I heard she was going to Stuttgart. There was a short-lived plan that our whole family would come with her and I would spend two days with the kids visiting Porsche and maybe even Mercedes-Benz museum (both of which are from Stuttgart). Well, that didn't materialize but luckily she had time to visit the museum, take some photos and buy quite a lot of Porsche souvenirs from the shop. Even she admitted it was a cool place.

Very hard to choose between Ferrari and Porsche. I love them both and especially the older stuff, which wasn't run or designed by computers. Must have been awesome to see them live! I myself still have warm memories of the group B rally cars from the 80's when I was a kid. Those were the times! No wonder they are my main interest in car modeling, although I love the old F-1 cars and Le Mans stuff as well.

Edited by janman

Janman,

The single Work In Progress forum must have been before my start date here, and I've been here since May of 2011. I can certainly see the advantages of having one section, but I'm sure that the strictly aircraft guys weren't thrilled with that arrangement. The concept, like on other multi build type sites is to have the different build types separated for ease of use, but it certainly seems to have had the opposite effect where cross viewing now becomes a conscience effort, rather then seeing the build threads mixed by date.  Given a choice, I'd much prefer the one section setup. 

Back in the very early 60s before I discovered Road & Track, as well as Car & Driver, I had no idea that there was really any other type of cars besides American. Then one day I saw my friend's father Porsche 356 Speedster, and just stood there trying to figure out exactly what it was.  It's been my all time favorite Sports car to this day.

I wish I could say that I share your love of rally racing, but here in the states there is none, little interest, and the few times I've seen it on TV was hit or miss.  But I can see how one can get hooked on it as you're allowed to get as close to the cars as you dare.

Joel

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Rally does exist in the U.S. and has for a long time.  The most famous is the Press On Regardless race in Michigan.  There's also a long-time event run in the state of Washington.

Now that you mentioned it, I do recall  hearing about those rallies, but never followed through trying to find them on TV.

Joel

12 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Rally does exist in the U.S. and has for a long time.  The most famous is the Press On Regardless race in Michigan. 

Wow, although I consider myself a kind of rally aficianado I wasn't aware it's still run. I know it was part of the world championship series during the seventies - with a couple of Finnish winners too. 

That long-time event in the state of Washington is the one that was once known also as the Olympus Rally?

On 9/26/2018 at 8:39 AM, Joel_W said:

Janman,

I'd kill to spend a day or two at the Porsche corp. museum.  while most people have Ferraris as their all time favorite car, mine has always been Porsche (with the exception of the 944 series).  Growing up in the 60s it was very easy to be both a Ford Sports car racing fan as they ran in the over 3.0 liter Prototype class, while the Porsches ran in the same races but in the 3.0 liter and under class. God, how I loved to watch the 908s at Sebring and Daytona. 

I'm still planning on doing another 917K but in the Gulf Wyler colors, maybe even Steve McQueen's car from the movie LeMans. 

Unfortunately, ARC is mostly a aircraft/military modeling site, so cars are just a small part of it. I still build the occasional airplane, but my heart these days is into cars. I'm firmly convinced that many of the members here do occasionally build non aircraft/military models (hopefully cars), and should post them here, as well as stopping by every so often to checkout what's going on. 

Joel

Maybe we can all stir up some interest in cars here by posting more builds. I’ll try to post some pics of my Steve McQueen Wyler-Gulf 917 next week when I get home from vacation. 

I’m like Joel, I’ve built airplanes for my entire modeling career, but have recently lost interest in favor of racing sports cars. It’s already been quite an education and I’m still having a little sticker shock at the price of aftermarket decals compared to airplanes. I’m already mulling over my next project, either a Fujimi 911 GT3R or a McLaren MP4-12C GT3. I also want to build a Lowenbrau 962, since I got to see Holbert & Bell race once, many years ago.

We don’t get too many Porsches at the vintage races at the VIR, except for 911s and 914s. I’d love to see and hear a 917 in person some day.

Ben

Ben,

Love to follow your McQueen 917K build. I still watch the movie on you tube all the time.  I didn't get to go to the Vintage car races at Lime Rock Conn due to health issues, but I'm guessing that there are some 962Cs still showing up. 

I feel your pain about the price of  some AM decals. Try IndyCals. Mike always adding decals and his prices are great. I keep on buying them and in some cases I don't even have the kit. And speaking of kits, I was on ebay this morning taking a break from trimming all the front of the house shrubs and bushes (what fun that is), and I saw the old Tamiya 1/18 scale Lola T-160. Plenty from Japan and Orient, but between the prices and  shipping, just not worth it. Then I spotted one for $40 from Staten Island. I could drive there and pick it up. so I bid $45 but I kept on getting my bid isn't high enough till I got to $59. Two hours later the kit is mine! I still remember seeing Surtees drive that beast.  Now I have to get the 1/18 scale Tamiya McLaren M8A to go along with it.

Joel

24 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I wonder if Craig T. Nelson's Lola is kitted? I saw him win an enduro at Texas World Speedway beating a Ferrari of some sort.  My sister's family and I camped in Turn 3 and it was pretty cool to be awakened by cars testing in the A.M.

I've never been awakened at 3am by testing cars at the track even when I was racing, as we always stayed at a motel. 

The only 1/18 scale Lola T 160, or for that matter in any other scale besides 1/43rd that I know of that was kitted, was  Surtees car. I'd kill for one of Haas's Orange Simonize Lola's.  But  I'm lucky enough to get this kit. Now I need to buy the  Tamiya 1/18 scale McLaren M8A to go with it.  

I keep on promising myself that I've bought enough car kits, and should go into build one/buy one mode, but I can't help myself.

Joel

18 hours ago, Joel_W said:

I keep on promising myself that I've bought enough car kits, and should go into build one/buy one mode, but I can't help myself.

This is me! 😄  There were five kits that I had on my list to build after the 917, and my plan was to build one, and order the next while I was in final assembly for the previous one. Currently, one is already in my stash and the other four are on their way from various places in Japan. Oh well, they should keep me busy for the next year or  two.

I'd love to see a 1/24 Lola T160 or T163. A recent Haggerty's ad in Classic Motorsports had a great photo of Peter Revson's Robbins Jeffries Special T163 and I've been smitten ever since. Maybe we can petition Paul Fisher to do one.

Ben

6 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

This is me! 😄  There were five kits that I had on my list to build after the 917, and my plan was to build one, and order the next while I was in final assembly for the previous one. Currently, one is already in my stash and the other four are on their way from various places in Japan. Oh well, they should keep me busy for the next year or  two.

I'd love to see a 1/24 Lola T160 or T163. A recent Haggerty's ad in Classic Motorsports had a great photo of Peter Revson's Robbins Jeffries Special T163 and I've been smitten ever since. Maybe we can petition Paul Fisher to do one.

Ben

Ben

I just bought the Tamiya 1/18 scale Lola T160 that Surtees drove in the Can Am.  Not the scale I wanted, but it's the only one around. I'd kill for a T163 as well. There is the rare and super expensive T70 in 1/12 scale, but my wife would kill me if one just happened to appear. 

when I reached my magic stash number of 12 car kits, then I go into my build one, by one mode.  My next model will be the Ebbro 1/20 Brabham 1966 F2 car as several hobby shops are taking advance orders for it. 

Joel

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...