Bf 109F and G differences

1 hour ago, jester292 said:

What’s the external difference between the Bf 109F and G? I’m not up to speed on 109 versions.

Which version F? Which version G?    It’s really not something easily answered, given the complexity of the differences between all the sub-variants.    Might be better if you spent some time w Google.   

Indeed, as the 109 evolved sub-variants became more complex. But there are some visual differences at a glance:

-Bf-109F: sleek body with no protuberances whatsoever

-Bf-109G: small intakes in the front of the cowling, bulges on the wings to allow the wheel to accommodate, mid production units had gun bulges over the engine cowling (early production didn't have them, later models had them ironed), later models had a taller tail.

Google is a good tool to get more information. Also, there are several publications on the subject you could get.

28 minutes ago, seawinder said:

Didn't the small triangular windows at the front of the cockpit disappear with the G?

Yes, but some F's also had glass only on the left side. More importantly, the canopy frames changed from the F to the G. G models have thick frames on the windscreen and tilting portion. Armored windscreen glass was added to the outside on the F and was mounted inside the frame on the G.

Other key differences between the F models and the G-2.

The position of the fuel filler hatch is under the canopy on the F and on the left side of the upper fuselage aft of the canopy on the G.

There is a round hatch on the left fuselage of the F, just aft of the supercharger intake.

Most F models had a shorter oil cooler fairing under the nose. The F-4(Trop) and F-4Z had oil coolers which became the standard on the G. The same applies to wider chord prop blades - G standard on F-4(Trop) and F-4Z. 

Wheel wells are perfectly round on the F-4 but the F-2 and all G models had strait outboard edges for doors which were never used.

Supercharger intake is thinner on the 109F-2. 

G models had 4 small scoops on the nose aft of the spinner, 2 per side.

Some F models have a thin scoop on the right cowling aft of the engine crank access hole.

Many F models have external strengthening plates(2 per side) over the join between the tail and rear fuselage.

1 hour ago, seawinder said:

Didn't the small triangular windows at the front of the cockpit disappear with the G?

Yes.   The design history of the -109 is extremely complex.   It’s one reason why I like the aircraft so much but it’s tough to answer such general questions like the OP posted.   You truly need a book to describe all the various changes and even then, you’ll find plenty of examples of aircraft that contradict the official history.    

Edited by 11bee

Thanks for the replies. I didn’t realize it was so convoluted. I have the Eduard Royal Class Bf 109F and was hoping I could squeeze out a G-2 instead of two Fs. Fw 190s are more up my alley; 109s are muddy water. 😄