1/48 F-14D "Grim Reaper" model

For a VF-101 F-14D?    I'd get the 1/48 HobbyBoss F-14D kit which has VF-101 Gunfighter 164 as a box decal option.   It's not the 100% most accurate Tomcat out there but it builds up fairly well, looks the part and can be hand for about $50. 

1 hour ago, hawkwrench said:

He decided on the HB kit. This will strictly be a OOB with no aftermarket stuff. Does the HB kit come with any PE?

Tim

Some canopy details (rails, etc) and the radar array transmitter if you're doing an open nose build. 

I think HB is the right choice here. It is cheaper, simpler than the Hasegawa, and has recessed panel lines unlike the R/M. My only warning besides the (1), intake shape issue, (2) the rivets on top of the wings, (3) the location of the external gas tanks and (4) phoenix pallets is the MLG struts. These are somehow too long or the wheel well is shallow. What ends up happening is that the HB Tomcat sits a little too high in the back. The real one sits lower on the MLGs.

Yes, I believe that would be the natural solution. But it has to be done carefully as there are two contact/interface points between the MLG struts and the wheel well, so they may have to be shortened around the same rate. 

Edited by Janissary
14 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

A buddy of mine wants a model of an F-14D with his squadron on it. What's the best, but not too expensive 1/48 F-14D kit out there?

Tim

Why not wait until July 20th and buy the Tamiya kit, which has Grim Reapers markings in the box, not to mention it is far more accurate than the HB kit and a pleasure to build?  It’s not that much more than a HB F-14D.  I’m just sayin’ 😏

Edited by Falconxlvi
3 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

How much will it cost?

And what scale?

Tim

MSRP is $124.00. but you’ll be able to find it cheaper.  Based on the price of the Tamiya F-14A, my guess it will probably have a “street” price $70-$90 at your favorite hobby retailer. 

Scale is 1/48.

5 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Yeah, I don't think he wants to spend that much more. He's fine with the HB kit. The Hasegawa kit is hard to find.

Tim

If if you’re looking for a Hasegawa D, I’ve got a couple I’m willing to sell. 

25 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

Thanks for the offer, but I found one on ebay for $53 and some change.

Tim

Just to be clear, the Tamiya F-14D is on sale (pre-order) at Hobby Link Japan for $62.33 (6880 Yen).  

https://hlj.com/search/go?w=Tamiya F-14d

It is has the markings your friend is looking for and will be infinitely easier to build and more accurate.  It is a kit that gets somebody hooked on this great hobby of scale modeling.  No putty or sanding required- just shake and bake!   just want you to have the info.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi