ARC Discussion Forums
82Whitey51

Maybe it's Time for some Hawkeyes...

Saw this photo and "Caracal Models" just popped into my mind...

IMG_5947.jpg

Ahemmmm...

SB5.jpg

A look at the starboard side and the roof;

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

Wow, a set with a bunch of these wild schemes would be enough to make me go out and buy the kit. I can't imagine you could fit many on a single set though. What with the size of the decal(s) needed for the radar saucer/dish/whatever its called.

Hawkeyes..I don't know.  There are some very appealing schemes out there, but those radome markings are huge and take up a lot of decal real estate. That said, I have to draw Hawkeye profiles/markings for a project that is on the drawing table, and may consider at least a 1/72 sheet sometime next year. 

One other good candidate might be the VAW-125 Tigertails from Desert Storm on Saratoga.  The old school version of the Tigertails (with an actual tiger head on the tail) have never been done in 1/48 scale, and they did not have any markings on the top of the radome.  What makes the CO's bird unique is the silhouettes for the two MiG-21's on the sides.  The Tigertails vectored the F/A-18 Hornets from VFA-81 onto the flight of MiGs for the only two jet kills by the Navy during Desert Storm.

Chros

I'd like to get VAW-113 off the I/O cruise of the Coral Sea in '79-'80. I paid for a sheet once but never got it.

Of course someone from the 1/144 crowd has to jump in and plead his case for a downsized sheet in 1/144.  :salute:

Revell released a beautiful little kit in this scale that is still available on the Bay.

Edited by Drifterdon

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'd definitely go for VAW-127 from the USS Coral Sea.

Yes! My first squadron...and pretty much the only one not ever done in 1/48 scale. There's a 1/72 sheet (with all sorts of mistakes on it) from Printscale and that's all...shoot, even the U.S. Coast Guard birds are available 😕

...I have reference materiel, jus' sayin'.

12 hours ago, KursadA said:

Hawkeyes..I don't know.  There are some very appealing schemes out there, but those radome markings are huge and take up a lot of decal real estate. That said, I have to draw Hawkeye profiles/markings for a project that is on the drawing table, and may consider at least a 1/72 sheet sometime next year. 

Kursad

From looking at many of the special schemes for the Hawkeye, it does not appear that there were many with the dome painted. Yes several did and I agree you would burn up too much real estate on the sheet for that. Maybe if you ever look at this subject in 1/48th the sepcial sche3mes would have to be those with no dome markings.

3 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Of course someone from the 1/144 crowd has to jump in and plead his case for a downsized sheet in 1/144.  :salute:

Revell released a beautiful little kit in this scale that is still available on the Bay.

Yes PLLEEEAAAASE...!   Caracal Decals is the best thing to happen in 1/144 scale since... forever...!

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

Yes! My first squadron...and pretty much the only one not ever done in 1/48 scale. There's a 1/72 sheet (with all sorts of mistakes on it) from Printscale and that's all...shoot, even the U.S. Coast Guard birds are available 😕

...I have reference materiel, jus' sayin'.

Send it to Kursad!

4 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Oh heck yes to this one!

This was done in 2014 by another decal company but is long out of print now. Too bad as it is such a cool scheme.

Edited by skyhawk174