Maybe it's Time for some Hawkeyes...

Wow, a set with a bunch of these wild schemes would be enough to make me go out and buy the kit. I can't imagine you could fit many on a single set though. What with the size of the decal(s) needed for the radar saucer/dish/whatever its called.

Hawkeyes..I don't know.  There are some very appealing schemes out there, but those radome markings are huge and take up a lot of decal real estate. That said, I have to draw Hawkeye profiles/markings for a project that is on the drawing table, and may consider at least a 1/72 sheet sometime next year. 

One other good candidate might be the VAW-125 Tigertails from Desert Storm on Saratoga.  The old school version of the Tigertails (with an actual tiger head on the tail) have never been done in 1/48 scale, and they did not have any markings on the top of the radome.  What makes the CO's bird unique is the silhouettes for the two MiG-21's on the sides.  The Tigertails vectored the F/A-18 Hornets from VFA-81 onto the flight of MiGs for the only two jet kills by the Navy during Desert Storm.

Chros

Of course someone from the 1/144 crowd has to jump in and plead his case for a downsized sheet in 1/144.  :salute:

Revell released a beautiful little kit in this scale that is still available on the Bay.

Edited by Drifterdon
3 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'd definitely go for VAW-127 from the USS Coral Sea.

Yes! My first squadron...and pretty much the only one not ever done in 1/48 scale. There's a 1/72 sheet (with all sorts of mistakes on it) from Printscale and that's all...shoot, even the U.S. Coast Guard birds are available 😕

...I have reference materiel, jus' sayin'.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:13 AM, KursadA said:

Hawkeyes..I don't know.  There are some very appealing schemes out there, but those radome markings are huge and take up a lot of decal real estate. That said, I have to draw Hawkeye profiles/markings for a project that is on the drawing table, and may consider at least a 1/72 sheet sometime next year. 

Kursad

From looking at many of the special schemes for the Hawkeye, it does not appear that there were many with the dome painted. Yes several did and I agree you would burn up too much real estate on the sheet for that. Maybe if you ever look at this subject in 1/48th the special schemes would have to be those with no dome markings.

Edited by skyhawk174
3 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Of course someone from the 1/144 crowd has to jump in and plead his case for a downsized sheet in 1/144.  :salute:

Revell released a beautiful little kit in this scale that is still available on the Bay.

Yes PLLEEEAAAASE...!   Caracal Decals is the best thing to happen in 1/144 scale since... forever...!

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

Yes! My first squadron...and pretty much the only one not ever done in 1/48 scale. There's a 1/72 sheet (with all sorts of mistakes on it) from Printscale and that's all...shoot, even the U.S. Coast Guard birds are available 😕

...I have reference materiel, jus' sayin'.

Send it to Kursad!

4 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Oh heck yes to this one!

This was done in 2014 by another decal company but is long out of print now. Too bad as it is such a cool scheme.

Edited by skyhawk174
On 6/15/2018 at 11:16 PM, skyhawk174 said:

This was done in 2014 by another decal company but is long out of print now. Too bad as it is such a cool scheme.

Was it done in 1/144 or 1/72?  Totally agree on cool factor.  There is just so much canvas to paint on with 4 tails!

18 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Was it done in 1/144 or 1/72?  Totally agree on cool factor.  There is just so much canvas to paint on with 4 tails!

It was 1/48 and not sure if they did the other scales.

Ok, I'll bite - as a  Hawkeye Guy with 13 years and counting in the old War Hummer, there's some colorful schemes from the 50+ years of E-2 service that would make great decal options in 1/72 or 1/48:

VAW-125's E-2C from the Gulf War with MiG kill markings (not sure if this is actual aircraft from the mission but I know a guy who was in the squadron then and can confirm)

IMG_3995_zpsu2cywgbp.jpg

VAW-116's Bicentennial E-2B

E-2B_Hawkeye_VAW-116_1976_bicentennial_m

VAW-117's high viz "Lemur Bird" E-2B

IMG_2438_zpsnxgniob0.jpg

E-2B of the Firebirds of VAW-110, the late, great West Coast Fleet Replacement Squadron

IMG_3655_zpsnof57bs5.jpg

So many options!

-Scoobs

Scoobs,

If your friend knows which Hawkeye from VAW-125 was the actual mission bird vectoring the Hornets for their kills, that would be some great understanding.  It's my understanding that 600 was not the mission aircraft but got the kill markings as the COs aircraft.

Either way, those are markings I'd be in for.

Chris