EF-2000 early and late exhaust-what's the difference?

Hi Isaac,

Despite trying to figure out any visible physical differences in the engines, I've been unable to despite studying dozens of photos.

What I can offer is this from wiki:

"In December 2006, Eurojet completed deliveries of the 363 EJ200s for the Tranche 1 Eurofighters. Tranche 2 aircraft require 519 EJ200s. 

As of December  2006, Eurojet was contracted to produce a total of 1,400 engines for the Eurofighter project"

I've presumed to make my own choice, that tranche 2 and onward aircraft for the RAF (from Block 8 FGR4 ZJ945 - ZJ950 and all ZK*** serial numbers in RAF service) have the 'late' engines. Most early RAF Typhoon F2s (basically air-to-air fighters/interceptors with no ground attack capability i.e. software) have been either upgraded to Block 5, retired or scrapped. But were I to build one from around the early 2000s period, I'd use the 'early' option.

For other nationalities I can only suggest the same criteria would apply.

A good article can be found here.

It could be more informative by including serials etc., but that may well be out there too and I just haven't looked too hard since I chose the ''late' type.

best,

chek

8 hours ago, chek said:

Hi Isaac,

Despite trying to figure out any visible physical differences in the engines, I've been unable to despite studying dozens of photos.

What I can offer is this from wiki:

"In December 2006, Eurojet completed deliveries of the 363 EJ200s for the Tranche 1 Eurofighters. Tranche 2 aircraft require 519 EJ200s. 

As of December  2006, Eurojet was contracted to produce a total of 1,400 engines for the Eurofighter project"

I've presumed to make my own choice, that tranche 2 and onward aircraft for the RAF (from Block 8 FGR4 ZJ945 - ZJ950 and all ZK*** serial numbers in RAF service) have the 'late' engines. Most early RAF Typhoon F2s (basically air-to-air fighters/interceptors with no ground attack capability i.e. software) have been either upgraded to Block 5, retired or scrapped. But were I to build one from around the early 2000s period, I'd use the 'early' option.

For other nationalities I can only suggest the same criteria would apply.

A good article can be found here.

It could be more informative by including serials etc., but that may well be out there too and I just haven't looked too hard since I chose the ''late' type.

best,

chek

Thanks Chek

it's interesting

I don't think there is any difference. The nozzles are variable, ie can open and close, might this be what you are seeing? Some of the prototypes used Tornado engines, which do look very different & there is the possibility that Typhoons can be, or may be fitted with thrust vectoring nozzles/engines, but there isn't any so fitted & flying that I know of.

----------------------------

Aires seem to think there exists early and late sets.

I bought the "late set" for the Revell Tiffie on the basis those were released by Aires slightly later and might incorporate tiny improvements of their own.

Tony 

Edited by tony.t
ineffective link