Monogram 1/48 B-29 Enola Gay exterior finish questions

About to start this big kit and am curious as to the exterior finish? All natural metal? Any aircraft gray on wings and fuselage?             What's the best way to remove blisters to do Enola Gay or Silverplate bombers?  Thanks!

Like most WWII B-29s, the Enola Gay was overall bare metal, other than the fabric-covered control surfaces, which were aluminum dope.  Some parts of the airframe (notably the middle parts of the wings and fuselage) appear to have a different finish, because a different alloy/thickness skin was used in those areas.  Of course, the first few B-29s were Olive Drab over Neutral Gray, and late in the war many had their bellies painted black for night raids.

SN

Edited by Steve N
  • 2 weeks later...

Those different shades of aluminum across the fuselage top  (between the bomb bays) and each wing (top and bottom) were anodized to prevent corrosion.  They're a shade of metallic grey rather than a shade of natural metal.

• 2 weeks later...

I built that kit last year in Bare Metal Foil. There are some things that can really trip you up regarding that kit (engine nacelles, front greenhouse, engine exhausts, engine cowlings). Go here for my solutions: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/177188.aspx

The finished build is here: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/177401.aspx

And yes, it took a long time to complete: however, it is my absolute fav model. The large size makes it very impressive. It's a really nice model considering its age. 

I built the B-29 when it first came out! (I still had hair) I built it as a WWII bomber so I didn't have to grind the turret fairings. I have an old issue and a new one with the HS props...I bought the Cutting Edge Silverplate mod kit but haven't used it yet. Saw an article where a guy ground off the fairings and then put sprue pieces across the openings so the disc he cut wouldn't fall inside. Want to build my HS prop B-29 as "Top of the Mark" from the Korean War...stationed at Kadena...and my Silverplate 29 as "Dave's Dream" the Atomic Bomb dropper for Operation Crossroads. I spent 4 years on Kadena flying the MC-130 and have been to Kwajalein Atoll many times where the Crossroads airplanes flew from. And I live North of Trinity site here in NM so there's lots of connections.

Cheers...Ron 

• 3 weeks later...

The Enola Gay is at Udvar Hazy which is about 20 min from me.  If you want pictures let me know and I'll go take some and send them over.  Not sure what may be different from the 'restored' aircraft to what flew in WWII however.

Chris

There is a link to the one on display in Washington DC that I used to build mine.  Pay close attention to the placement of fuselage decals as the '82' is not exactly on opposite sides.  The aft fuselage door was in the way??

Oh, note YELLOW nose gear and wheels.  Beats me Why Enola Gay was that way?? (Guiding over bomb pit???)

KyyOEP.jpg

4Pe4eF.jpg

HTH.

Bo

VERY interesting about the yellow nose gear.  The nose gear is not yellow in Udvar Hazy but clearly is in some of the period pictures so good catch.  Nice looking bird you got there , Bo!  Beautifully done.  Where in the world do you keep it?

Chris

3 hours ago, CANicoll said:

VERY interesting about the yellow nose gear.  The nose gear is not yellow in Udvar Hazy but clearly is in some of the period pictures so good catch.  Nice looking bird you got there , Bo!  Beautifully done.  Where in the world do you keep it?

Chris

There is a color photo of the crew standing beside Enola Gay some days after the event and gear and wheel are roughly painted yellow (Some say ZC Yellow) and paint is clearly oversprayed to nose tire.  I really wonder if ALL three gear were painted that way??  We only have photo evidence that the nose was.

EDIT: just photo on nose w/o crew.  See below.

Bo

Edited by jabow
On 6/12/2018 at 6:24 PM, F4DPhantomII said:

What's the best way to remove blisters to do Enola Gay or Silverplate bombers?  Thanks!

I just made re-enforcements on inside, cut and grind off plastic blisters,  I did this B4 I assembled the fuselage halves where possible.  

I assembled. painted/decaled fuselage and wings B4 joining all together.  Lot easier to handle that way.

Bo