F-104 wheel bay question

I was thinking about a resin wheel bay for the Italeri 32nd F-104C, but Aires only makes the F-104G/S wheel bays.  Can I use it and just use the kit doors or is there more differences between the C and G/S wheelbays other than the doors?

To me getting a resin wheel bay set for any of the F-104 kits in any scale is a toss up. I think it depends on what you want to show. Yes they are beautiful in detail, something I would never be able to do. However from almost all of the pictures I have seen, the main doors of an F-104 are only partly opened. The visible parts of the bay are where the main gear goes. So what I am trying to say is that you would get this set and most of it would be hidden. It would work great if you are doing a maintenance scene with the main doors open. Not sure if any aftermarket company makes a set that just shows the rear of the main gear well but I have not looked.

Another thing to remember is that the bottom of the fuselage is pretty close to the ground so not sure how much would be seen without lifting up the model and turning it over.

Just my $0.02 worth of info 😀

22 hours ago, jwest21 said:

Thanks.  I was thinking about opening everything up, though, so would the G bay work?

You would be better off using the Aires 2205 1/32 CF104G Starfighter Wheel Bay set as this more correctly reflects the F-104C in that the gear shock struts and doors are the same as the C. You would throw a lot of stuff away by using the G/S set.

Cheers,

John