CD144013 - 1/144 C-97 / KC-97

Sorry for stepping away for a day. I agree that vinyl masks for the warbonnet in 1/144 may be out of the question. I am intrigued with Kursad's including the trim decal, allowing careful painting and the use of a windscreen decal. 

However, I think a mask would definitely help in 1/72.

Kursad, I know you announced this as a 1/144 sheet, but are you planning a 1/72 sheet as well? (Hint,hint)

R/ Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, I know you announced this as a 1/144 sheet, but are you planning a 1/72 sheet as well? (Hint,hint)

R/ Dutch

Agreed, there are a lot of those Academy KC-97s floating around...……..The Airway Graphics decal sheet, however, are as rare as cockroach tusks and are almost as expensive as elven nuts......

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Sorry for stepping away for a day. I agree that vinyl masks for the warbonnet in 1/144 may be out of the question. I am intrigued with Kursad's including the trim decal, allowing careful painting and the use of a windscreen decal. 

However, I think a mask would definitely help in 1/72.

R/ Dutch

I am sure I will eventually scale this up to 1/72.  Doing it first in 1/144 will allow me to skip research on some of the smaller stencilling which will not be visible in 1/144 anyway. I need a bit more time to provide a comprehensive set of stencilling in 1/72. We will sort out the mask issue at that time.

So a 1/72 version will be forthcoming - and mine not cost any more than a quarter of an elven nut.  

In that case, I will buy both!

Thank you once again Kursad,... for keeping me off the streets and out of the bars and, if not at my workbench, at least allowing me to plan & stock up for my first five years of retirement.:occasion2:

25 minutes ago, Dutch said:

In that case, I will buy both!

Thank you once again Kursad,... for keeping me off the streets and out of the bars and, if not at my workbench, at least allowing me to plan & stock up for my first five years of retirement.:occasion2:

Ditto, but if Kursad keeps pumping out great releases at current pace, you'll have to push back retirement a few months!:monkeydance:

On 6/17/2018 at 8:59 AM, Charlie D. said:

Didn't the Texas ANG have at least one aircraft with a big "texans" painted on the side? I swear i've seen a pic of it somewhere. Same style as it appeared on the phantoms and voodoo's.

The time period is right, so it makes sense that they painted "Texans" on at least some of their aircraft. However, I looked at for it in books and online this past weekend, I could not find any.

I really want to put it on the sheet: so the first person to find a photo of these aircraft with a visible serial number gets a free sheet. I am just too lazy / busy to drive 3 miles to the Texas Military Forces Museum here in ask for their help; but will try that if this approach fails.

Edited by KursadA
1 hour ago, KursadA said:

The time period is right, so it makes sense that they painted "Texans" on at least some of their aircraft. However, I looked at for it in books and online this past weekend, I could not find any.

I really want to put it on the sheet: so the first person to find a photo of these aircraft with a visible serial number gets a free sheet. I am just too lazy / busy to drive 3 miles to the Texas Military Forces Museum here in ask for their help; but will try that if this approach fails.

So I did a bit of searching and couldn't find anything on a KC-97 with Texans painted on the side but they did paint up a T-29 in those markings.   Pretty cool looking!   Linky here:  https://www.cloud9photography.us/Military-Aviation-14/Texas-ANG-Airplane-Pictures/i-d5pFs7M/A

2 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

So I did a bit of searching and couldn't find anything on a KC-97 with Texans painted on the side but they did paint up a T-29 in those markings.   Pretty cool looking!   Linky here:  https://www.cloud9photography.us/Military-Aviation-14/Texas-ANG-Airplane-Pictures/i-d5pFs7M/A

That Samaritan is pretty cool, too. They also have a vintage 1980s van painted with the same Texas ANG markings at the Texas Military Forces Museum "dump" behind the main building.

I e-mailed the museum and asked for help - hopefully their photo archivist will have some time to take this up and get back to me. 

On 6/15/2018 at 10:22 AM, KursadA said:

I received the kit yesterday and I am working on the drawings as I find time from packing the deluge of orders you had sent my way. Keep the suggestions coming.

Looks like there is a C-97 restaurant somewhere in Colorado - I  wish it were closer. I wonder if the food is any good, though?

California Air Guard

52-0922_C-97_D-M_10091968_1280.jpg

• 2 months later...

Kursad, 

I've been doing a methodical search through all my ANG, tanker, large transport & old USAF books and can't find any photos of a Texas ANG KC-97 with the "Texans" motif, only straight TEXAS AIR GUARD or ANG lettering. Are you sure you didn't mean the C-131D / T-29 photos?

R/

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
correct grammar
On 9/13/2018 at 7:15 PM, Dutch said:

Kursad, 

I've been doing a methodical search through all my ANG, tanker, large transport & old USAF books and can't find any photos of a Texas ANG KC-97 with the "Texans" motif, only straight TEXAS AIR GUARD or ANG lettering. Are you sure you meant the C-131D / T-29 photos?

R/

Dutch

I figured out where I got this idea. I bought a rareplanes 1/72 KC-97 2nd hand. It had a second decal sheet in it with the Texans logo and unit markings.it was printed in a single color, the blue of the Texans script.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:15 PM, Dutch said:

Kursad, 

I've been doing a methodical search through all my ANG, tanker, large transport & old USAF books and can't find any photos of a Texas ANG KC-97 with the "Texans" motif, only straight TEXAS AIR GUARD or ANG lettering. Are you sure you didn't mean the C-131D / T-29 photos?

R/

Dutch

Ya, I can’t find anything either, Dutch. Between this one and the ‘Miss Piggy’ B-52 details I’m coming up empty.

• 2 months later...

Kursad, Great work! A few notes. The orange markings on each side of the tail are slightly different. The port side has a cut out for some aerial or panel [see the New Hampshire C-97 photo]. The stbd side is solid, with no cutout, [see Tennessee C-97 photo.] So the cutout on the tail marking on the left side of the sheet needs to be filled in. Any plans to include Tennessee and New Hampshire state names? R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
add clarity