CD144013 - 1/144 C-97 / KC-97

I would love to see 133rd ATS, 157th ATG "New Hampshire Air Guard" markings please.  I will upload a photo later.  For that matter, you could probably put every C-97 Guard unit state name on the black portion of the sheet along with generic numbers. I love the 1960-62 C-97A ANG schemes where the forward fuselage, tail & wingtips had da-glo orange markings.  Here is a photo of a C-97A landing at Prestwick in Dec 1961 from the Gordon Macadie collection to illustrate my point.  At this point during the Berlin Crisis mobilizations, the aircraft "State Name Air Guard" titles above the black arrowhead cheatline had been replaced with the "U.S. AIR FORCE" on the forward fuselage below the cheatline.  But the da-glo orange "headdress,"tail design and wingtips remained.  When I get back to my personal computer, I will upload more appropriate photos.

R/ Dutch

49-2598_C-97G_Gordon_Macadie_1280.jpg

Edited by Dutch

I received the kit yesterday and I am working on the drawings as I find time from packing the deluge of orders you had sent my way. Keep the suggestions coming.

Looks like there is a C-97 restaurant somewhere in Colorado - I  wish it were closer. I wonder if the food is any good, though?

Edited by KursadA
2 hours ago, KursadA said:

Looks like there is a C-97 restaurant somewhere in Colorado - I  wish it were closer. I wonder if the food is any good, though?

There is indeed.  It's called Solo's and is pretty cool.  Food is pretty good but eating inside the plane can be hot and getting your order seems takes a little longer.  Super cool aviation theme inside the main restaurant.  http://www.solosrestaurant.com/index.htm

In action pics.   http://txusa.com/136th/kc in action.htm

Edited by Drifterdon
On 6/14/2018 at 7:42 AM, Dutch said:

I would love to see 133rd ATS, 157th ATG "New Hampshire Air Guard" markings please.  I will upload a photo later.  For that matter, you could probably put every C-97 Guard unit state name on the black portion of the sheet along with generic numbers. I love the 1960-62 C-97A ANG schemes where the forward fuselage, tail & wingtips had da-glo orange markings.  Here is a photo of a C-97A landing at Prestwick in Dec 1961 from the Gordon Macadie collection to illustrate my point.  At this point during the Berlin Crisis mobilizations, the aircraft "State Name Air Guard" titles above the black arrowhead cheatline had been replaced with the "U.S. AIR FORCE" on the forward fuselage below the cheatline.  But the da-glo orange "headdress,"tail design and wingtips remained.  When I get back to my personal computer, I will upload more appropriate photos.

I agree that these are great, I am somewhat surprised they have not been done before. There is a particularly nice photo here.

31 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

There is indeed.  It's called Solo's and is pretty cool.  Food is pretty good but eating inside the plane can be hot and getting your order seems takes a little longer.  Super cool aviation theme inside the main restaurant.  http://www.solosrestaurant.com/index.htm

In action pics.   http://txusa.com/136th/kc in action.htm

It looks pretty interesting! I found a photo here.  As an interesting aside,  the ground seems to have been covered with a white substance that I have never seen here in Texas.

755583832_6c56d525e6_b.jpg

2 hours ago, KursadA said:

It looks pretty interesting! I found a photo here.  As an interesting aside,  the ground seems to have been covered with a white substance that I have never seen here in Texas.

3 hours ago, KursadA said:

I agree that these are great, I am somewhat surprised they have not been done before. There is a particularly nice photo here.

Kursad, that Dayglow that wraps around the nose, is that particularly tricky to get right when drawing the decal or do you have other ideas for it? Just curious more than anything else. 

4 hours ago, KursadA said:

As hot as it is right now, I wish we had some on the ground.  Cool it down.....

1 hour ago, Hooker169 said:

Kursad, that Dayglow that wraps around the nose, is that particularly tricky to get right when drawing the decal or do you have other ideas for it? Just curious more than anything else. 

I was wondering the same thing; might be a good application for pre-cut vinyl masks.

Looking forward to this set!

Jonah

Wow, Hooker! Again, nice pics!

I agree with Jonah, pre+cut masks are the way to go for the da-glo orange paint scheme. I have a set of 1/72 C-97 window masks from EZ-Masks. Maybe I could ask him to make the war bonnet mask as well.

Are you guys talking about vinyl masks for the cockpit windows? I say Cockpit window decals all the way. The fit of the clear cockpit piece is not the best, makes blending that piece easier when going the decal route. I used masks on my 1/72 kit, worked well, not sure how well that would work on the 1/144.

No vinyl masks - the logistics of that are not workable for the volume of decals I am selling these days. There will be cockpit window decals on the sheet, and decals for at least the borders of the dayglo section on the nose. Obviously you will need to match the color and paint the remainder of the nose. No worries, I will get the shape and colors right and it will be easy to use.

I am mostly done with the base profiles, dimensions and general markings : just a few days after the initial suggestion and the decision to make the sheet. I think this could be an August release. 

Edited by KursadA

9 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I am mostly done with the base profiles, dimensions and general markings : just a few days after the initial suggestion and the decision to make the sheet. I think this could be an August release. 

Just in time for me to unpack from my move and start building again!!!

Sample draft profile below - the rest usually happens pretty quick, so I might have a finished sheet sometime during the week.

c97draft.jpg

The good news is that the unique markings a relatively small, and I should be able to fit a large variety of interesting schemes on the sheet: all sorts of ANG KC-97s, one overall ADC gray HH-97, maybe one or two MATS transports, SAC tankers, 7405th SS recon birds, etc. 

Edited by KursadA
6 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Oh, I like anything in ADC grey, very cool.

Didn't the Texas ANG have at least one aircraft with a big "texans" painted on the side? I swear i've seen a pic of it somewhere. Same style as it appeared on the phantoms and voodoo's.

I doubt it, the "Texans" motif is used by the 111th RS (formally FIS), which appeared on their F-101B Voodoos during and after conversion from the F-102A. The KC-97s were flown by the 181st ARS (now AS) 

Edited by Johnopfor
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, KursadA said:

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, Corey said:

Kursad, that’s down in Colorado Springs.  If you are ever in the area, I’ll buy you lunch there!

Corey in Colorado

That aircraft used to be on display at the Southwest Aerospace Museum in Ft Worth Texas until it closed in the 1990's