1/72 Yak-9T and Yak-9D CAD design

This is going to be the development log of the first 1/72 aircraft kit that my company, Out of the Box Models, has ever designed.  Please feel free to weigh in if you see any thing we're missing or any errors we're making. This is going to be a 3D printed kit. printed in multiple parts, similar to a resin kit, for ease of painting and detailing. We are going to include parts to make the Yak-9T and Yak-9D in 1/72nd scale.

CAD progress after day 1:

42788109131_92d7d66cae_b.jpg

Here's the latest update, its a bit of an older picture, showing the former mismatch we had with the measurements and the drawings. The mismatch has since been fixed.

Posted Image

Edited by Orion Field

Out of curiosity, why are you designing in CATIA, and which workbench(es) are you using for your design?   I use it daily and I know it's pretty clunky when it comes to this type of surface design, not to mention way more expensive than a lot of other CAD packages....

Thanks!

Nate

13 hours ago, Nate said:

Out of curiosity, why are you designing in CATIA, and which workbench(es) are you using for your design?   I use it daily and I know it's pretty clunky when it comes to this type of surface design, not to mention way more expensive than a lot of other CAD packages....

Thanks!

Nate

I'm not the one doing the CAD work, I hired this gentleman as a contractor. And he felt most comfortable using that program. He's done other work for me, mostly railroad stuff, and he's always been very accurate. 

6 hours ago, KSL said:

What drawing are you using as reference? Doesn't look correct to me.

Sergey.

The drawings are from "Yak-9 - Soldier of the Sky", by Dmitry Leipnik. I was the one who suggested them because I believed they were accurate and well detailed, and because they are easily available off the Internet. If you have corrections to offer or can recommend a source of more accurate drawings, please do so!

Here's a link to the drawings from Leipnik's book:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/yak9-1.html

John

Edited by John Thompson
21 hours ago, KSL said:

What drawing are you using as reference? Doesn't look correct to me.

Sergey.

I wouldn't say they were incorrect as much as they were distorted. Which we fixed, since we knew the exact measurements of the aircraft, so we "un-distorted" the drawing to match the dimensions. 

Here's the latest update:

42840638662_428bc25d70_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

So, Out of the Box failed, and everyone who pre-ordered the Yaks was refunded. I definitely learned a lot from that Experience, but I really felt bad about the whole experience. 

So, I decided to use my own money to Finnish the development of the Yak-9D and Yak-9T, which should be ready any day now. 

I am going to put the files up for free on Thingiverse, so anyone can download and print them themselves. 

As an added bonus, I am also going to start working on a Yak-9P as well. 

You have no reason to feel bad! No one was harmed by the experience, you were totally scrupulous about refunding the "crowd's" money, and we all learned something. Hell, as I said elsewhere, I feel bad because I was the one who suggested the Yak-9T - definitely not a good first project. Something simpler - a Piper Cub, for example, would have been more realistic. You shouldn't be carrying the whole financial burden of completing this - please LMK if I can help!

John