Desperately seeking Su-27 Flanker 'Blue 38' 'Evil eye' photos

Ive recently acquired a set of Linden Hill 'Flankers on Patrol: Guardians of the North' Decals in 1/32 scale and I'm interested in taking another crack at my old favorite plane...the Su-27 Flanker 'Blue 38' with the 'Evil Eye' painted on it from the 941st GvIAP based out of Kilp Yavr Airbase.  While I've acquired quite a few photos of this weathered beauty (it puts US Navy planes to shame) I can't find any depicting the original camouflage scheme from the top (the Linden Hill instructions aren't entirely accurate) it seems like whenever I find a photo of it the top portion can't be seen!  If anyone has access to these photos PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know, PM, email, etc.

dsahling1@yahoo.com

Thanks

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Su-27P, serial no 36411, were produced at 1992, initial had red board number 07, in 2001 number changed to blue 38,  in 2012 were upgraded to Su-27SM3, now have red board number 64

153411.jpg

133944.jpg

nowdays:

136725.jpg

204968.jpg

Thanks for you help Andrey, I do have these photos but I appreciate the effort.  I was lucky enough to get in contact with Andrey Zinchuk and I'm hoping he may have some photos of 'Blue 38/Red 07'  I've been looking for years for photos that show the camouflage pattern and I've come fairly close.  Using all the photos I have I've been able to 'recreate' what I think it would be based off subtle traces of what I think are the outlines of the demarcation lines but its by no means definitive...all I need are one or two really good photos from above before it started to weather away...this is what bad modeling OCD will do to you..  🙂

• 5 months later...

Hi Dan! I,ve come across to your post by accident just now. FYI this jet in particular  is present on the Authentic Decals sheet #AD72-10. I own it, so I will search for it and I can scan the instructions for you if you are still interested. Just let me know.

RGDS

Juan

Thats very nice of you, but lets just say after countless hours scouring the internet and tracking down contacts I eventually hit the "mother load" of reference photos for Blue 38 and a few others from this squadron, I've got every angle! I'm working on a massive 1/32 diorama, with 3 su-27 flankers, an Mi-8 hip, ground vehicles, and lots of other little details and goodies.   It'll take a while because I'm having to go very slow with these to get the paint job just right.  Its been a lot of fun, but also TONS of work to airbrush such a massive plane (and I haven't even finished the first flanker)  

On 12/17/2018 at 9:56 PM, dsahling said:

Thats very nice of you, but lets just say after countless hours scouring the internet and tracking down contacts I eventually hit the "mother load" of reference photos for Blue 38 and a few others from this squadron, I've got every angle! I'm working on a massive 1/32 diorama, with 3 su-27 flankers, an Mi-8 hip, ground vehicles, and lots of other little details and goodies.   It'll take a while because I'm having to go very slow with these to get the paint job just right.  Its been a lot of fun, but also TONS of work to airbrush such a massive plane (and I haven't even finished the first flanker)  

Can you share with us where the "mother Load" is?

I have that decal sheet and would like to do a really worn out Flanker.

Thanks.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:56 PM, dsahling said:

THIS! I want to see. Are you planning on a build thread someplace?

On 12/17/2018 at 1:41 PM, JFVicente said:

Hi Dan! I,ve come across to your post by accident just now. FYI this jet in particular  is present on the Authentic Decals sheet #AD72-10. I own it, so I will search for it and I can scan the instructions for you if you are still interested. Just let me know.

RGDS

Juan

Juan I love those Viggens!

On 12/18/2018 at 3:56 AM, dsahling said:

hi Dan! I am a bit embarrased, as I, ve checked those instructions I said and no top view of the said aircraft appears...

i have also been saerching around the web and found this web LINK. Is this the "mother Load" you say?

20 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Juan I love those Viggens!

Hi Matt! many thanks for your compliments!

RGDS

Juan

Sorry for the delayed response, I haven’t been at the bench that much as of late but I will get some more work done on it soon.  The first Flanker I’m doing is more of a test to try out the Akan paints and try some airbrush techniques to get the heavily weathered effect of the paint on these Arctic circle area planes, and it’s ‘Blue 36’  There’s one little marking that I would like to add on the right forward fuselage, but there’s no decals for it, so it’s going to have to be done with delicate airbrushing and small very precise masks, and maybe use some spare decals to approximate it as close to the real thing as I can.  Unless someone would be willing to make one small custom decal for me?  🙂.   And to answer one of the questions, I will be doing a work-in-progress for it, I’ve taken some photos from the first test build but not full documentation with photos and build log; that will come with the next two Flankers which I plan to thoroughly document their progress.  There will also be a lot of scratch building for the diorama in the way of terrain, tarmac, bunker, etc.  I’m also excited to try my hand at a couple of the 1/35 Russian ground vehicles I’ve picked up.  It’s going to be quite large but I’m really excited to get to working on this big project again very soon.