CD48145 - 1/48 F-86 in Korea - Part 1

This will be a great sheet. Lots of colourful markings especially the SAAF ones with their large fin flashes.Thanks for releasing these Kursad. You could probably do this in 1/32nd for those guys in that scale and do well with it especially the SAAF ones as I don't think there was ever one in that scale or if there was it was a limited release..

Edited by skyhawk174
17 hours ago, Corey said:

Thank you!  I’m excited for this sheet!!  Could you follow it with an ANG Sabre sheet, with some E and A models?

Corey

Hi Corey - I will definitely do an ANG Sabre sheet later on; once I have the base drawings and common markings for the initial Korean War sheet. Probably even before the end of the year.

These are great suggestions, thanks! One question though: I will use modern design methods and get these printed by Cartograf, so I am sure I will make justice to many of these important jets. But haven't many of these aces' jets been done in decal form before? What are the important gaps that you would like to see filled?

It does appear that these have been done before.  Beautious Butch was done by several in 1/48 and also in a Hasegawa boxing and both Mig Mad Marine and El Diablo were done in 1/72.

You’re probably right, it’s going to be challenging finding really eye catching schemes that haven’t already been done. I’ll see if I can find some that may have been over looked.👍

Where I think you’ll really be able to work your magic is on your post war Air Guard sheet but I digress,,,,,,,,,

9 hours ago, KursadA said:

Hi Corey - I will definitely do an ANG Sabre sheet later on; once I have the base drawings and common markings for the initial Korean War sheet. Probably even before the end of the year.

Fantastic news  Kursad!

Corey

Edited by Corey

F-86A 49-1319

MiG-15 Vs F-86 Sabre, duelo en los cielos de Corea
This one is interesting. F-86A 49-1319
F-86A-5-NA
Unit: 334th FIS, 4th FIW, USAF
Serial: FU-319 (49-1319)

This a/c piloted by Gill Garrett was shot down over Korea in aerial combat with Soviet ace E.Pepelyaev and forced landed on October 6th, 1951. Pilot evacuated, but the airplane captured by Soviets and transferred to Moscow for researching.

th?id=OIP.lSz2mfeR9zXgVOYE5qFsyQHaEl&pid

20 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

Boots Blesse’s aircraft needs to be done.  10 confirmed kills and the leading jet ace for awhile.   He flew with the 334th FIS and to my knowledge, there are not decals available for his aircraft in 1/48.   

Steve

3_57.jpg

Looking again, I found that this aircraft was indeed recently done in 1/48,,,,,drat!

Sorry, I was hoping we stumbled upon one that hadn't.

Edited by Hooker169
correction
1 hour ago, Hooker169 said:

PM sent

Got it thanks!  I did a quick search on the net and EBay- those are unavailable anywhere, so I would still advocate for the inclusion of Blesse’s jet on this sheet 😉.

He’s one of the most famous jet aces of all time, and besides, I’m biased because I flew in a memorial flyby for him at Seymour Johnson AFB in 2014.  

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

Got it thanks!  I did a quick search on the net and EBay- those are unavailable anywhere, so I would still advocate for the inclusion of Blesse’s jet on this sheet 😉.

He’s one of the most famous jet aces of all time, and besides, I’m biased because I flew in a memorial flyby for him at Seymour Johnson AFB in 2014.  

I most certainly agree, with Kursad’s modern artwork and printing techniques his sheet would automatically be superior!

I also lobby Kursad for subjects near and dear to my heart, being from New England most of my suggestions are units or bases I remember as a kid. So I totally get the rationale.

As a matter of fact, ‘Beauteous Butch II’ needs to be redone,,,,,,,,, only because her pilot was a New Hampshire native.......😁

14 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

An option or two without the yellow band would be nice.

Word.  I’m a big fan of lesser known schemes.  The 18th FBW hasn’t got a lot of love from aftermarket decal outfits.    

There are no markings for 49-1184 in any scale.  It is was flown by Don Torres, Richard Becker and George A. Davis.  It is a pretty historically significant Sabre that really deserves some quality decals.

Oh, keep that option open for 1/72 one day, too!  Thanks.

597e3a1e8ec27_F-86A-549-1184MissBehaving.thumb.jpg.cc0b1790af96346558695e4b8aa3c9ee.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Do the ultimate Korean War Sabre that's never been done:

https://goo.gl/images/Pp5AP2

He's the guy that wrote The Hunters...And helped with the screenplay for the most greatest movie ever with the greatest flight scenes ever. but lousy storyline...

And the other one.  Shark Mouth, 51st, Hard Wing.  Doesn't get any better:

52-4428.jpg

Edited by Sabre Freak
14 minutes ago, Sabre Freak said:

Do the ultimate Korean War Sabre that's never been done:

https://goo.gl/images/Pp5AP2

He's the guy that wrote The Hunters...And helped with the screenplay with the greatest flight scenes ever. but lousy storyline

That suggestion, sir, wins you a free decal sheet when this is done. Please e-mail me to redeem it when I release the decals after I come back from vacation in August.

7 hours ago, KursadA said:

That suggestion, sir, wins you a free decal sheet when this is done. Please e-mail me to redeem it when I release the decals after I come back from vacation in August.

Thank you Sor!  Will do.