CD48145 - 1/48 F-86 in Korea - Part 1

Here are a few lesser known options (including air to ground dedicated Sabers).  These guys didn't get nearly the press attention as the two air superiority Saber wings (4th and 51st FW).

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

Not a pic of a real jet but a pretty subject nonetheless.

See the source image

Edited by 11bee

Soo much material for not one, but a few amazing sheets here. I am still working on what options to feature on the first sheet, but I think there will be others.

I will also released generic serial number sheets for the Lockheed style buzz numbers as seen on T-33/P-80/F-94 aircraft,and correct North American style numbers for the F-86 - these will come under the new "Caracal Models Basics" line of generic sheets.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This sheet is finally nearing completion - I may actually end up doing multiple sheets so I am considering a few new subjects. Most of the aces' aircraft have been done multiple times already - don't worry though, I am doing a few of them again, more accurately.

Both Gene Kranz and Buzz Aldrin were in Korea, but decals for their aircraft have not been done (to my knowledge). I really would like to include these. I have some references on Kranz' jets, but not on Aldrin's. He's been photographed in multiple Sabres: one with a nose art of Pluto chasing a Mig-15 (reported to be not his jet), one with "FAYE" painted on it, and one with "Dream Girl". Do we know for sure which F-86 he flew in Korea?

I would say it is highly plausible that he didn't have an assigned aircraft and flew all three that we have photographic evidence of him being with. From what I have seen 'Dream Girl' has 4 kill stars and 'FAYE' has 1. Kill stars on the right side of the aircraft denotes how many the aircraft itself takes credit for and unfortunately there aren't any pictures of him standing on the left side of an F-86 which would show the pilot's credited kills. Even though it was likely that the video of him taxing in 'FAYE' and recounting one of his previous missions was entirely for propaganda purposes, the fact is that he was indeed in that aircraft. My two cents.

One idea you may want to consider is for a sheet that is exclusively aircraft future astronauts flew while serving in Korea.