KA Models aftermarket parts

picked up all the F-14 and F-15 stuff.. looks pretty amazing to me, but my buddy is convinced that the inside of the (F-14) burner cans are wrong? i dont really see it, but he says that those belong on the B/D and not the A.. anyone know?

Edited by glorystomper
51 minutes ago, glorystomper said:

picked up all the F-14 and F-15 stuff.. looks pretty amazing to me, but my buddy is convinced that the inside of the (F-14) burner cans are wrong? i dont really see it, but he says that those belong on the B/D and not the A.. anyone know?

Here's the inside of the KA-models F-14A burner can.

MG_1981.jpg

Here's the inside of the real thing.

f14-detail-engine-09l.jpg.a1fbb081c1cfe431f5b1ecd690d0b662.jpg

Look's pretty close to me.

Edited by Mstor
On 7/11/2018 at 5:00 PM, JeffreyK said:

Here though, with all the actuators in place and daylight between them, that's incredibly hard, if not impossible to achieve.

(p.s.: I'm just puzzled why they made the AB cans as separate halves. I don't think printing them as one piece would have been any different? The support structure could have been on the outsides of the tube instead... Perhaps they think modellers would prefer to paint them in separate halves?)

WRT casting, I can think of a couple of ways to let you release the actuators to cast the part in one piece.  It'd still be tricky though, and likely have a high reject rate, since I'm sure they would be prone to breaking off in the mould.

Though if they are directly printed for production, that would help explain the price - it's an expensive technology, more expensive than traditional resin casting, so they will be expensive to produce.

As for the split cans, the only thing I can think of is painting.  The pics on their website show soot streaks on the painted parts, and if that's the look you're going for, it would be easier to do if they are split open.  But still, weird choice.  And it looks like they are printed perpendicular to the build platform (ie straight, not on an angle) since the layer lines seem to be visible on the outside, so it's not even an issue of support structure from a weird print angle.   (pretty sure that waffle-like piece doesn't have anything to do with support; probably just to avoid damage in shipping)

Edited by MoFo
  • 7 months later...

The carbon fiber texture is interesting, though I don't know that it's very realistic. I see on the KA site that he has P&W nozzles for the big Tamiya 1/32 F-15's. NOT CHEAP, but very nice.

1 hour ago, MoFo said:

The carbon fiber is almost certainly decal.

Actually, no. Its a texture on the surface of the part. Go to  the KA-Models site. He has close up pics of the nozzle and its a surface texture. I think decals would be more appropriate. While carbon fiber can have a texture it would be so fine as to be invisible at model scales. KA's use of the ribbing texture is very convincing when viewed in photos, but I think in person it would look strange.

How is it dumb?... I think it’s very cool and allows you to just paint and weather the parts. Decals require a gloss coat and you’re then locked into whatever color they print the decals. The textured parts are amazing and you can paint them however you like. 

Just at my opinion, but I think this is a new step in technology for exhaust cans. 

And FYI, all these exhausts and burner cans are 3D printed, not resin cast. They are extremely durable and not prone to chipping and breaking like resin is. Well worth the $$, IMHO. 

Brian 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

Does anyone have some good pics of the carbon fiber exhaust petals? I'm having a hard time finding any. On the few I have found, I don't see any carbon fiber pattern. Looks more like just a plain dark grey, almost black.

Edited by Mstor
2 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

How is it dumb?... I think it’s very cool and allows you to just paint and weather the parts. Decals require a gloss coat and you’re then locked into whatever color they print the decals. The textured parts are amazing and you can paint them however you like. 

Just at my opinion, but I think this is a new step in technology for exhaust cans. 

And FYI, all these exhausts and burner cans are 3D printed, not resin cast. They are extremely durable and not prone to chipping and breaking like resin is. Well worth the $$, IMHO. 

Brian 

It's not a wise choice because:

- carbon fiber pattern is wrong and it doesn't look like a carbon fiber patern.

- this rendition of carbon fiber is too deep and the part loses some details or their perception, like the overlap between petals.

Good thing is, it's 3D printing, so you've got lot of agility and flexibility to redesign this kind of stuff.

12 minutes ago, shion said:

Those are great, thanks shion. Definitely can see the pattern. Much finer than the ribbing on the KA Models exhausts. Some of the decals I've seen come close, but even those are coarser than the real thing.

On 3/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, Mstor said:

The carbon fiber texture is interesting, though I don't know that it's very realistic. I see on the KA site that he has P&W nozzles for the big Tamiya 1/32 F-15's. NOT CHEAP, but very nice.

I found my Eduard Block 52 set and it has no carbon fiber on the petals. I do have the 1/20 scale carbon fiber decals however from scale motorsports. I think they'd be used on 1/32 (I'm going to do a 1/32 Polish block 52+) however. Anyone have an opinion about that? 1/20 carbon fiber = 1/32 or 1/48 aircraft?

10 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I found my Eduard Block 52 set and it has no carbon fiber on the petals. I do have the 1/20 scale carbon fiber decals however from scale motorsports. I think they'd be used on 1/32 (I'm going to do a 1/32 Polish block 52+) however. Anyone have an opinion about that? 1/20 carbon fiber = 1/32 or 1/48 aircraft?

It depends how visible is the pattern.

Hasegawa trytool version:

Grade 20:

tf9ph.jpg

Grade 12:

tf10ph2.jpg

I would take the 12 one, in this case.

Yes, it's overscaled but what matters here is the perception, not the scale rendition.

Scale Motorsports does make a 1/48 scale version of one of their carbon fiber decals...

https://www.scalemotorsport.com/decals/composite-fiber-decals/carbon-fiber-plain-weave-black-on-pewter-metallic.html

Looks like it would look pretty good for 1/48 scale. Don't know how small the pattern actually is. Maybe it would look good for 1/32. They also make this same decal in 1/24 scale. Might work for 1/32, though I think that might still be a little large. Still better than the ribbing on the KA version. I hope Lawrence will make a version without the ribbing.

Edited by Mstor
On 3/12/2019 at 3:16 PM, Mstor said:

I have to say they do look very nice, but I do agree with Mstor on this.  They are definitely NOT CHEAP!

When you start adding up the cost of these sets to a couple or three Hasegawa or Tamiya kits it makes these kits RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!

8 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

But grossly over scaled decals are ok?...🤙

How would you represent this texture in 1/48 scale or 1/32?

aag.jpg?m=1371906227

Edited by shion