How to do a 'stores configuration study model' ?

I'm researching the weapons and other stores used by Dutch F-84Fs, and I plan to interview a few former pilots on the subject. I'm currently gathering all stores in 1/48 scale, and I have a Monogram Streak model available to build a 'stores configuration study model'. I plan to use small magnets in the pylons and stores, so it can be configured as desired.

My question: what would be a suitable finish for the model itself? I don't want to paint it in a camo scheme with full markings, I have a feeling that would distract too much, and sort of limit the use to the era of that camouflage. But what then? Black overall? Silver? Neutral gray? I want to do the stores in their real-life colors, by the way, to atract the attention to them.

If anyone has a suggestion or maybe an example, I'm all ears!

Rob

Based on my experience with black it would probably show too much dust, and/or fingerprints from handling to change the stores.

Scooby's grey primer sounds good.

Another idea based on what I've seen of photos of design proposal models through the decades might be overall silver with only national insignia for markings.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Are you painting it in a factious scheme? You only want to feature and bring attention to the weapon loads?

I’d paint it in a gray primer then.

Yes, all attention should go to the weapons load, that's what the model will be used for. They will be painted in their real colors.

Gray sounds like the most neutral color indeed.

Rob

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

Based on my experience with black it would probably show too much dust, and/or fingerprints from handling to change the stores.

Scooby's grey primer sounds good.

Another idea based on what I've seen of photos of design proposal models through the decades might be overall silver with only national insignia for markings.

Black maybe looks like a WW2 recognition model. Silver was also one of my ideas, and it would give a bit of an old-fashioned look, which would suit this model. Decisions decisions...

By the way, I plan to overpaint the canopy too, if that matters.

Rob

16 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Black maybe looks like a WW2 recognition model. Silver was also one of my ideas, and it would give a bit of an old-fashioned look, which would suit this model. Decisions decisions...

By the way, I plan to overpaint the canopy too, if that matters.

Rob

I would go with either a mid toned gray, or silver. And I was going to say, you should paint the entire model, including the canopy, but i see you had that idea already.  I would even gloss coat it in order to make it easier to keep clean. 

Have the airframe there as a tool only and allow the weapons to speak for them selves. 

Sean