My (not) Group Build Apollo build

I'm totally NOT working on this Apollo Lunar Module/CSM docked model in anticipation of the group build that coming up next year. So what you are about to see is not really happening. You didn't see it, I wasn't there, you can't prove it, it wasn't me.

But if I were to start it, it might look like I was working on these little guys. I want to put some astronauts in the LM and the kit figures in my opinion are way too big. I am using some Tamiya 1/48 scale German mechanics which I believe are a little underscale for 1/48 but appear to be just right for the Monogram lunar module, and sculpting out the suits with Apoxie Sculpt. You won't see much so some of it is pretty crude. Especially the bottom area. But I think once painted and in place they will be convincing. Here's a couple of shots of the first one and the face of the LM as it stands now....I mean in the future.

astron.jpg

Another shot of things that I did...will do😁. I didn't like the way Monogram modeled the front hatch with a raised centerline. It's not how the hatch really was. The easiest solution I found was to remover the entire face around the hatch and start with a flat panel with an engraved line representing the hatch itself. Not a hard modification but I think it will help it look better. I also added the hand rail supports as well as a few other brackets, bumps and shapes. 

face mod.jpg

What the ... is it February 2019 al-l-l ready-y-y-y?  😮

But the planning mock-up you're doing on this Bill, is remarkable! So far ... so good!

Kidding aside, the Astronaut looks great! The sculpting you did on this eensy-weensy figure as darn nice! 

Pete

16 hours ago, niart17 said:

..... I am using some Tamiya 1/48 scale German mechanics .....

Operation Paperclip ???

😎

Edited by habu2

Thanks guys. Slowly working through this. I want to add a little bit of interior, at least enough to indicate what can be seen through the windows. Not sure how much and what the best way to go about it is going to be. In the meantime I through some paint on the little Bean astronaut that came out a little rough but should be enough for a small through the glass view of him and am going to start sculpting up on the Conrad. I think Bean was slightly taller so that's why I assume this one is him.

Bill

ASTROS.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well, until we get or don't get approval from the overlords about the group build, I'll just continue this thread as my unofficially official 1st group build entry. I haven't done much more to this since I last posted so it still has a good bit of work to go to make it interesting. I'm also still planning on mating it to the Dragon CSM so I may combine them in one thread or perhaps do a separate one for each.

I did download Vincent's amazing LEM model to print out and will hopefully be tackling that soon (perhaps even scaled up...) but in the meantime I want to see what can be done with this kit. What I can't scratch easy enough I may print to augment the stock monogram kit as well. I'm still on the fence about the landing leg configuration. I think it would look more correct to have them folded but not sure how best to tackle that. Any input on that would be appreciated. 

Thanks for checking in.

Bill

Well, I'll be darned ... I was just looking at this thread 2 days ago ... and I'm quite 'miffed' at our ARC overlords ... 

Regarding the LM's Landing Gear deployed or not, I don't think anybody really knows when they were deployed during the flight. I've read before Lunar orbit, during Lunar orbit and just before undocking ... so, assuming you're gonna display these two craft linked together, it's your call.

And you can also do them both on the same thread ... or not.

Pete

Yeah, not sure I understand the thought process sometimes on the site but it's not mine to say. They fret that there's not enough GB participation but then make it seem like a hard process to get one up and going. Perhaps we should put something that could be construed as slightly political in this thread...that'll get their attention fast. :woot.gif:

Just kidding, kidding. 

Oh I did download his files, I wasn't going to miss out on that very gracious opportunity. I hope to get to print them all out soon and maybe build one of his LEM's as well for this GB. But yeah, I wasn't going to go without getting his model. If you're reading this Vincent, thanks again!

Bill