Kitty Hawk AH-6J/M replacing rivets (finished)

Hi Guys this question goes for the little bird experts, for my understandings all the AH-6 J and M's always had been in the black grayish color, but a friend of mine keeps telling me firmly  that they always were helo brad green, never seen a picture of one in helo drab, i know the letters and number were helo drab color and now they are gray.

Best regards

Jorge Oppenheimer

Ps: i am working on the new KH AH-6 M with some mods

Edited by oppenheimerj
12 hours ago, salvador001 said:

The correct shade is mix 50-50 aircraft interior black with helo drab.

I have heard that too, but every 160th MH-60 and AH/MH-6 I have seen in person is flat black with no green tint to it at all.  I still say they are flat black.

I don't know...  saw this "art" on Kitty Hawk's FB page.  Maybe they know something we don't?   Kidding, of course not.   To paraphrase Henry Ford, you can paint your Littlebird in any color you want, as long as it's black.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

As you said any color as long it is black is fine, i am driving myself nuts with this little bird, love KH model, hate recessed rivets, so i am using Archers rivet to turn all the rivets into positive ones, looking good so far

35 minutes ago, oppenheimerj said:

As you said any color as long it is black is fine, i am driving myself nuts with this little bird, love KH model, hate recessed rivets, so i am using Archers rivet to turn all the rivets into positive ones, looking good so far

You got my attention here.   I’ve held off building their helos because they look like toys covered with those hundreds of little divots.   I’d love to see some pics of your build.  

Damn Jorge, that is looking awesome. Cant wait to see it finished. Those rivets are fantastic, will try to get those if they release the 1/35 Huey, i bet the huey will come with negative riveting.

I see you cut the skids to make it shorter, that is a nice touch, the kit ones comes a little bit higher.

Keep that great work.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Thanks Rod, i am waiting for the black hawk to come out, that will be a thesis on riveting the tailboom itself ad i did on my previous one.

I did not cut the skid on this one , you have to think on one little detail, they come to be placed in the flight mode, what i mean is that in flight they look higher and larger but when the helo is on the ground they open up to absorb the weight of the helo , so i opened the skids as they are on the ground and on weight, that is why you see them shorter, you can look in the engine bay on each side they are shock abosrbers that allow the skid to open up when on the ground, when they loose pressure in time the skid will open up more up to the limit that the structure permits.

i hope a made my self clear, english is not my main language and not my strong

jorge

Edited by oppenheimerj

Jorge,

Great work with those rivets.  Really makes a big difference compared to the original.   Going to look great under a coat of paint!   Please keep us updated on your progress. I am curious - how easily do those Archer rivets apply?  Any tricks or do you just place them on the bare plastic?  How durable are they?

Rod,  have no doubt that all future helos from KH will have divots, it's too bad but they don't seem to care. I'd say it's a moot point with regard to the 35th Huey since it appears that won't be happening anytime soon, if ever.  

Thanks, for sure I will keep you posted on the progress of this helo, i think by tomorrow i will be done with the rivets and will prime all the model, they recommend to prime the model then apply the rivets, i do the opposite, y sand the model with 1000 grit paper then apply the rivets, a must on this is to use liquid like solvaset sobthe rivets will adhere well on the plastic, then prime over the rivets so the transfer film will disappear.

they are not easy to apply they are so delicate

Jorge

Edited by oppenheimerj