Kitty Hawk AH-6J/M replacing rivets (finished)

Absolutely stunning.  Those rivets make a world of difference.  You can’t make a case that the kit in its original form is remotely close to accurate.  

You’ve actually got me thinking about building this kit after all.   How many hours would you estimate those rivets took?   Also, how many sheets did it take to cover your Little Bird?   

13 hours ago, oppenheimerj said:

Thanks, the fit on the kit is perfect, just some tweaking on the instruments dashboard so the windshield fits properly.

with one sheet is fine for the hole model

Jorge

So how long would you estimate it took you to cover your LB in rivets?

16 minutes ago, Tank said:

Good work Jorge. Do you have a shot of the bottom of the bird with rivets.

Tank, no i dont have it, but in the bottom dont have that much rivets, i had to use bigger rivets because i run out of small rivets

2 minutes ago, oppenheimerj said:

Tank, no i dont have it, but in the bottom dont have that much rivets, i had to use bigger rivets because i run out of small rivets

Thanks for info. I plan to do the samething when I build my kit.

Thanks for all the good information Jorge!  It gives me hope that I might be able to replicate your work.   I'm guessing that KH will continue using those divots on their upcoming H-60 series (and the 35th Huey if it ever arrives) so at least I'm now somewhat confident that I would be able to use these decals.   My biggest concern was that I'd have to fill all the divots prior to applying the Archer decals, very glad to hear that this isn't necessary. 

Keep posting more updates, can't wait to see how she looks when she's done. 

Putting raised rivets has taken this kit to the next level!! It just plainly exposes how bad recessed rivets are... Recessed rivets always look 'toy' like and this comparison highlights it.

Great work on this, beautiful..

KittyHawk - please do the 1/35 Huey with raised rivets...

5 hours ago, Bulldog 09 said:

WOW George. This is going to be another spectacular build Sir.

Dave Fassett

Thanks Dave, i will try my best for this to be much better than the previous little bird built 3 years ago

On 6/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, oppenheimerj said:

finally finished replacing the negative rivets with positive rivets, the kit look much better with positive rivets

_MG_4487_zpsxfrbcppk.jpg

_MG_4490_zpssmjz2jqk.jpg

_MG_4492_zpsd0kppyov.jpg

NIIIIIICE!!!!!  That looks awesome, I cant wait to follow your progress and see the end result!

-Ramon

Hi Jorge. Great work on this model so far.

Could you do me a favour (and probably others here too)? Could you measure the distance between the the outside of the two skid tubes? 

You seem to have captured the correct sit of the Little Bird perfectly. Not too high and not too low. I'd really like to know the distance between the two skid tibes so I can replicate it when (hopefully) I have a stab at building this kit myself. Keep posting up photos of your build. Thanks.

LD.

Hi LD, here is a picture with the measurement , sorry they are in centimeters, the back side of the skids is wider than the front, this is because of the helicopter weight over the struts located in the aft skid arms

IMG_2229_zpsnwwtizbk.jpg

I will try to start painting tonight the black base coat, had a problem with my cat, she found the helo over the desk and she started playing with the model, at the end, broken tail boom and vertical tail, and much of the rivets in the tail and boom were gone.

Jorge

Edited by oppenheimerj

I just glued them in that position, the kit itself lets you play with the position of the skids, just need to know on how the real helicopters skids behave under weight, with that information you go after what you need to position the helicopter in a real weight on skids position 

Jorge

Great info on the skids.  That will come in handy.

1 hour ago, oppenheimerj said:

...my cat, she found the helo over the desk and she started playing with the model, at the end, broken tail boom and vertical tail, and much of the rivets in the tail and boom were gone.

One more reason to have dogs and not cats.

🐶rule, 🐱suck!

Edited by HeavyArty
46 minutes ago, oppenheimerj said:

I just glued them in that position, the kit itself lets you play with the position of the skids, just need to know on how the real helicopters skids behave under weight, with that information you go after what you need to position the helicopter in a real weight on skids position 

Jorge

Thanks for the answer Jorge, I appreciate it! Sorry to hear the Catzilla did damage. It's a great build!

Base color is on, MRP tire rubber gives a look of faded black, nice color for the little bird

_MG_4497_zpswdwtbmzs.jpg

_MG_4500_zpsvubksau5.jpg

And here is a picture of CATZILA aka CATISIS, this morning she hit hard again this time both skids torn off the model, thank god it was easy to fix, from now on she wont bother any more, after punishment she is been hiding under the bed all day long

_MG_4504_zpslz9qwxzt.jpg

6 hours ago, oppenheimerj said:

And here is a picture of CATZILA aka CATISIS, this morning she hit hard again this time both skids torn off the model, thank god it was easy to fix, from now on she wont bother any more, after punishment she is been hiding under the bed all day long

If you haven't already look up a long running blog named Way of Cats, they also have presence on several social media. A number of ideas, successful ideas, are given for teaching, negotiating, redirecting, when cats insist on going after things we don't want them to.