CD48146 - 1/48 F-82 Twin Mustang

Folks, is the Modelcraft 1/48 Twin Mustang kit really the terrible kit that it is said to be?  Do you think I should be doing any decals for it?

I am asking because the US buzz number digits on these aircraft are the same pattern that was used on Korean War-era F-86's. Since I am drawing these digits anyway (there is no font that is even close), I might as well reuse them on an F-82 sheet at some point. Any ideas?

Edited by KursadA

YES PLEASE!!!

I have two of the B model kits that have no decals and I can't find any anywhere. A couple of options would be great.

The kit sucks but I am sure people have them in the stash and would buy decent decals if they were available.

Sean

1 hour ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

YES PLEASE!!!

I have two of the B model kits that have no decals and I can't find any anywhere. A couple of options would be great.

The kit sucks but I am sure people have them in the stash and would buy decent decals if they were available.

Sean

Yeah, same here..two b kits and no decals. The g seems to be harder to find than the e or b. 

55 minutes ago, Charlie D. said:

Yeah, same here..two b kits and no decals. The g seems to be harder to find than the e or b. 

Actually, turns out I have the F-82E, not the B, but other than minor items all aircraft are basically the same.

Still..we Def need decals!!

Sean 

On 6/19/2018 at 11:23 AM, KursadA said:

Folks, is the Modelcraft 1/48 Twin Mustang kit really the terrible kit that it is said to be?  Do you think I should be doing any decals for it?

I am asking because the US buzz number digits on these aircraft are the same pattern that was used on Korean War-era F-86's. Since I am drawing these digits anyway (there is no font that is even close), I might as well reuse them on an F-82 sheet at some point. Any ideas?

Kursad, I think you'd be the only decal manufacturer to tackle the 1/48 kit so you'd own the market.

2 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Kursad, I think you'd be the only decal manufacturer to tackle the 1/48 kit so you'd own the market.

Printscale did a set a few years ago but it was mostly "G" models and they can be a little hard to find.

79323bb448caed01c8a49bed2db7a2ff.image.2

Sean

22 minutes ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

Printscale did a set a few years ago but it was mostly "G" models and they can be a little hard to find.

Sean

I stand corrected.  But given the choice of Printscale, that I've heard can be problematical, or Caracal, it's a no brainer.  And like you said, Printscale just covers the G nightfighter.

Edited by Drifterdon
1 hour ago, Drifterdon said:

I stand corrected.  But given the choice of Printscale, that I've heard can be problematical, or Caracal, it's a no brainer.  And like you said, Printscale just covers the G nightfighter.

Somehow I am not very concerned by any sheet in the market from them.

Edited by KursadA

depending on how much space you have on the sheet,

Betty Jo, Old 97 and at least one of the cool Alaska birds are needed

3_9.jpg

After that, some cool night fighters with nose art is all you need to round out the sheet.

Sean

32 minutes ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

depending on how much space you have on the sheet,

Betty Jo, Old 97 and at least one of the cool Alaska birds are needed

3_9.jpg

After that, some cool night fighters with nose art is all you need to round out the sheet.

Sean

Heck ya!  What Sean says...

4 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

I really wish I had bookmarked that site. It was a close up of a bunch of radar pod artwork. It would have been a great resource for this sheet...now I have no idea where it was.

Sean

If you needed any more inspiration for this project, I just saw on Facebook that Tom Reilly is bringing the XP-82 to Oshkosh this summer!!!

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/05-23-2018-rare-legendary-xp-82-twin-mustang-aims-to-make-debut-appearance-at-airventure-2018

Corey

Edited by Corey
On 6/19/2018 at 12:23 PM, KursadA said:

Since you asked, No!!  There are toooo many GOOD kits that, either don't have or under represented, with decals.

My 2 cents.

Bo

45 minutes ago, jabow said:

Since you asked, No!!  There are toooo many GOOD kits that, either don't have or under represented, with decals.

My 2 cents.

Bo

I see your point, but you could make that argument against most proposed decal subjects.  There are a lot of people out there (myself included) with the Minicraft F-82 kit, without any good decal options.  A good set of Caracal decals might spur more people to build their kits.  Maybe a good set of decals could spur some more aftermarket to make a F-82 build more palatable.  Also, at the rate model manufacturers are going, someone will release a new injected mold F-82 in the near future (Special Hobby, GWH, Trumpeter/Hobbyboss, Kittyhawk...<gulp>) 

My preference would be for Korean War aircraft, especially with nose art, but there are so many interesting subjects:  Alaskan Air Command, Air Defense Command, SAC.  There are enough subjects one could probably get two sheets out.

Corey

While it wouldn't be the most colorful or distinctive Twin Mustang, FQ-383 from the 68th F(AW)S would be a welcome addition given its historical significance as the first aerial victor of the Korean War.  Other than the buzz numbers and the squadron insignia on the tail, it didn't carry any unique markings.

The Twin Mustang kit is a bit of a challenge, but it can be built.  And I'm sure more would be built if people had the decals for them.

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris D said:

The Twin Mustang kit is a bit of a challenge, but it can be built.  And I'm sure more would be built if people had the decals for them.

Chris

I know I will build mine with good decals available!

Edited by Drifterdon

Folks, I heard you and I will go ahead and release an F-82 sheet in the next few months. I already assigned a product number and added it to the site. I will share more details as I make progress.

• KursadA changed the title to CD48146 - 1/48 F-82 Twin Mustang