CD48146 - 1/48 F-82 Twin Mustang

I really would love to see some good decals for the first UN air-to-air kill of the Korean War when Lt. William Hudson and Lt. Carl Fraser of the 68th FS(AW) in F-82G 46-383 shot down a North Korean Yak-7U on June 25, 1950.

I am glad I waited until the release of the kit to wrap up the design work - it looks like the kit decal sheet has a few good options and I will need some time to come up with alternative choices. 

Kursad, one thing to watch out for is that a few/some/many/all F-82s had the curved, North American Aviation "Sabre" style lettering on the USAF on the wings and the buzz numbers. Previous kits have varied on this so check photos of the real things. This "font" was standard on most F-86s but was also seen on some early F-100s.

39 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

Kursad, one thing to watch out for is that a few/some/many/all F-82s had the curved, North American Aviation "Sabre" style lettering on the USAF on the wings and the buzz numbers. Previous kits have varied on this so check photos of the real things. This "font" was standard on most F-86s but was also seen on some early F-100s.

I know, Paul - I designed these digits very carefully for the F-86 and F-82 sheets in mind, it is also available as a Caracal Models Basics sheet.

Edited by KursadA
  • 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, KursadA said:

The kit decals already covered some of the artwork I drew - I need a draw some new artwork and it may be a short while before this one arrives.

How good or bad are Modelsvit decals?   I don't have any experience with their stuff.  Would there be any harm in duplicating what the kit offers if they are poor quality?

1 hour ago, Drifterdon said:

How good or bad are Modelsvit decals?   I don't have any experience with their stuff.  Would there be any harm in duplicating what the kit offers if they are poor quality?

They are actually fairly decent - probably one reason why my 1/48 P-51H decals are not sold out yet. Had this been a Roden kit I would have redone everything on the kit sheet without any doubt.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Received my kit today, and it is quite impressive.  Decalwise, I do wonder about the option with the star-studded tailfins.  The kit portrays the stars and stripes as yellow, whereas looking at this photo (not of the same aircraft though, but same unit), they appear to be gold.  If that is the case, there is room for a Caracal-correction.  The kit decals will have you paint the blue areas, and given the contours between the fuselages, that makes perfect sense to me.  The tabs on the horizontal stabilizer are shallow, so it may be possible to add that after painting and decalling.

2d_FAWS_North_American_F-82F_Twin_Mustan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Almost done with this one - it is looking really good so far, with more than 10 options and perhaps the first really accurate depictions of many of the unit badges and nose art. Full set of red serial numbers, in the very accurate North American style that I painstakingly drew by hand (you have seen these before in the F-86 serials sheet CDB48002). A couple Mig killers, lots of named aircraft from Korea ("The Beast of the Far East", "Gruesome Twosome" and more)

It is a bit Korean War F-82G-heavy, but I will be adding some F-82E options soon.  

• KursadA changed the title to CD48146 - 1/48 F-82 Twin Mustang
25 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Almost done with this one - it is looking really good so far, with more than 10 options and perhaps the first really accurate depictions of many of the unit badges and nose art. Full set of red serial numbers, in the very accurate North American style that I painstakingly drew by hand (you have seen these before in the F-86 serials sheet CDB48002). A couple Mig killers, lots of named aircraft from Korea ("The Beast of the Far East", "Gruesome Twosome" and more)

It is a bit Korean War F-82G-heavy, but I will be adding some F-82E options soon.  

Sweet! Just ordered the new F-82E kit yesterday from Rebel Alpha.