Hi Gianni,

Good to see you here! Thanks for the comments!

I try to show what I can.

Good luck with your Zvezda bis. It is a really tough kit, far, far, very far from anything they are producing now. I only looked into it once in a shop and put it back quickly. You are a very brave man to tackle it! Good luck!  

I think it was ACE who did a photoetch set to go with the Zvezda kit. It was fun to help them in design, good two way communication with them. I received one set from them and think of using bits of it in my build now.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor!

Effectively the work to do isn't indifferent,but I bought the kit some time ago and now compared to the Eduard the difference is huge.

Herethe link to my build,I'll honored if you take a look...

I'll post few update very soon.

About the photoetch I used the Pars sheet.

Gianni

Remember that Spandau machine gun from that Polish Master set I was doing?

It is almost finished. Resin parts painted into gun metal of a sort. Tried to match it to the real metal of the blackened brass parts. Will need some adjustment to make them close in colour.

cVqEB5l.jpg

nXdekrr.jpg

feiAXxK.jpg

Assembled, more or less. Sight is in place. The ammo belts are attached only for the photos, will need to add some “weight” to them so they hang naturally.

2egP1pf.jpg

vMg4z59.jpg

4OHb2XS.jpg

Will need to think of what to do next with it. :hmmm:  :hmmm: :hmmm:   This is the more difficult part of this “side project”.  It is possible it will go back to its maker, the Master.

Best regards

Gabor

On 10/22/2018 at 9:35 AM, kurnass77 said:

Herethe link to my build,I'll honored if you take a look...

About the photoetch I used the Pars sheet.

Hi Gianni,

I have been following your build and like it!   Still think that you are very brave man to take on this challenge. 

Here is the ACE photo etch that I have been talking about. There are some useful items on it even for those building not only the Zvezda kit. I will most certainly “borrow” few parts.

uO4XJd4.jpg

8n9QUm4.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

So here is the RATO “bottle” after decals. Took them from various Begemot sheets for weapons. For lack of specific decal for RATO had to use stencils of similar text, size and number of text lines. The decals were fairly sturdy but at the same time perfectly thin. The carrier film was almost invisible immediately after applying. A bit longer soaking time was needed to get them of the carrier paper, but that is all.

ZsD2zXI.jpg

QEeSyyu.jpg

Next a wash of any decal residues will be made to be followed by an overall gloss layer to seal the decals and make the decal-film invisible. At the end a semi-matt layer will cover it all for a final sheen.

As for the final result, I am not too happy with the high contrast. A mid grey was used to give shadows and lines but it is still far contrasting. It should be more subtle. The good side of it is that there was never a plan to use these “bottles” on the kit. It was just a side track, playing around a little.  :D

Best regards

Gabor

I have to add one correction. Had a look into the RATO question. The Su-7 used a different version SPRD-110. On the MiG-21 it was SPRD-99.

On the outside it could look similar but in fact it was different and I guess it was also more powerful. It had no winglets and no long fixing “ arm” at the back end. Also there are several examples which were white and not “painted metal”.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Han,

Thanks for the invitation!

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. On that weekend we will go to Bratislava (just a stone throw from here) for the Plasticova Zima show. It is an excellent show that I have attended for many years now. 

Sorry! Next time.

Best regards

Gabor

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some of the hostages that I took from yesterday’s visit to Plasticova Zima in Bratislava. New paints, some etched parts, few alu tubes, a great set of vac-form canopies from Rob-Taurus for the Edu MiG-15 kit and new scribing tools from Mr.Paint. Will test them soon.

The show was as good as any previous one, only now there was a bit more air both literally and physically. Some new rooms were open for the traders (better ventilation) and more space was left between tables to make it less crowded.

bpnCppu.jpg

9pxtYR2.jpg

I would have been after some new (or recent) kits to buy but in the end returned home with empty hands.  They were either not available or extremely expensive, like the new Tarangus Viggen. It is a 72nd scale kit and the price was over 43 Euro, just a little less than the 48th scale version. I expect the Czech version to be in the same price category as to not compete with friend /partner Tarangus . And it is only due out in many months from now, somewhere in the spring. Oh well, will leave it there, have enough other kits to build. I love the Viggen but this price is too much for a fighter in 72nd!

Bought few books. A Slovak publisher has issue the second volume of their Afghanistan war history book (the earlier one with Russians) with some excellent details and photos. As a down side off it, written in local language, still it has its place next to volume one on the book shelf. There are some monographs on MiG-21 which have some useful details, once again there is a language barrier but the price is not an inhibiting factor so. . .

Asked the WWP publisher about their MiG-21 book, but it is completely sold out. On the other hand there are some plans for a new book on Fishbed, the time line on this is not exactly clear at the moment, but at least there is some hope for those who missed it the first time.  

dEor1Fu.jpg

Had asked  Edu’s boss about the MiG-21 project progress but it seems that other 48th scale aircraft have full priority over everything else. Still one new 72nd MiG should be out somewhere around May but he did not say (with a sneak smile) if it is the PF or PFM. The R should be later as to the others . . .

Frame C is a problem, since it has only single UB-32 and MBD2 bomb racks. For the moment it is available as an Overtrees frame. So for extra cost you can build a version like this, with a full symmetrical load. But at an extra cost?

Later there is a chance that kits which essentially need these parts will have two C sprues included or an alternative C frame will be made. But the boss did not go into details.  

The KP “new” two-seater MiG-21 UM was on sale in the morning till they run out of them. What is inside the box, no surprise it is the RV kit repack with all that this entails. Left it there, simply no point.

I did ask the Aires guys about the Su-35S “Correct Radome”  but they were not too happy and anyway they are “just employees selling the products”, not making decisions. “You should ask” the ones in the know.

lXyByMI.jpg

A Lady kindly lent her hand for this photo to compare the G.W.H nose to the “correction nose” by Aires.

K9frOYJ.jpg

As far as the shape goes not much (none) difference so only adding the lightning strips to the outside as raised detail, and a very strong raised line that is!

I can only say:

Having had a very close look (from about 10 centimetres) of the original Su-35S nose cone in Russia and a real feel of it with my hands, I can state that the lightning strip is sunk into the nosecone surface!

Still would be interested to hear from Aires what is it exactly that they mean under

“Correct Radome”.

It is never late to learn from others. Maybe they know something? I will contact them directly, received a mail address and name. I know some Czech modellers also tried in the past to ask them this question. Who knows? I will report on developments.

While at Aires I did buy one set of MiG-21 landing gear doors from them for the 72nd scale kit, but that is another story.

To finish the day off, after returning home there was still one program for Saturday 24th. There was an open air concert by STING here in Budapest.

WOW!!!

I loved it!!!! It was a great gig, fantastic show, they played almost 2 hours together with Shaggy. Don’t know exact numbers, but a big square and a wide road leading to it was full with audience. Even the rain could not dampen spirits, it was well worth it!!!!!!! Loved every minute of it!

Sting you are great!!!

Best regards

Gabor

• 5 weeks later...

The work on the kit is still going at a steady pace but for the moment little to show. On the other hand this is a good opportunity for something else:

I wish a merry Christmas and a very happy New Year to all no matter what your belief or religion or which part of the world you are in!!!

I also take this opportunity to remember a great entertainer who has his birthday today. For those in the UK I am sure his name sounds familiar: Kenny Everett

Loved his radio programs and hilarious humour as well as his TV shows. He was great!   :worthy: :D   :worthy: :D 

God bless you somewhere up there in the eternal radio studios and happy birthday!

I am sure Sid Snot and Deirdre would join me in the good wishes!  :D :winkgrin:  :D :winkgrin:  :D :winkgrin: 

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Gabor,

merry Christmas to you also. My activity also low. In january, a construction company will work on our rental house. New roof, solar collectors, new floor, isolation etc.

We only move out the seats and kabinets. We will stay in our house.

Han

A new year has started and as always for me with the New Year’s Concert from Vienna. Reminds me of a new year’s night spent in Vienna few years ago. OK there was no chance to see the concert in person but the next closest thing was to watch it live in the city on big display and see the crowd spontaneously starting dancing to the Blue Danube. It was an amazing sight!

T0Robl4.jpg

pRIciyL.jpg

Happy New Year to all where ever you are!!! :winkgrin:  :D  :winkgrin:  :D  :winkgrin:  :D   

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, agelos2005 said:

have you tried the mr paint scriber?

Hi agelos2005,

Yes, I have tried them. Like them. Of course every scriber has its pros and cons. On my workbench I have the good old trusty Olfa P cutter, the one I had for decades and it is still going strong. There is a Tamiya one and some custom made ones. They are all good for a given job and each is used by me for a particular purpose. I think there is no single one which rules over all others!

Best regards

Gabor

Just now, ya-gabor said:

Hi agelos2005,

Yes, I have tried them. Like them. Of course every scriber has its pros and cons. On my workbench I have the good old trusty Olfa P cutter, the one I had for decades and it is still going strong. There is a Tamiya one and some custom made ones. They are all good for a given job and each is used by me for a particular purpose. I think there is no single one which rules over all others!

Best regards

Gabor

thank you my friend

Returning to that question about the scriber tool. This morning I did a small comparison of the ones I use regularly to show the differences. You can make up your mind, before I stand accused of pushing either of them.

Remember it was all freehand with approximately the same force and angle on a standard piece of injection moulded plastic.

74eNsZ0.jpg

Tried the new Mr.Paint scribers the top one (or the one on left) is from the Blue version (have no idea what the real name for it is, I named it Blue). It has a V shaped cutting edge producing a nice ribbon.

The Black Mr.Paint is much thinner and it has a U shaped line with almost parallel side walls. It is a really fine one.

It is possible that the Tamiya one is getting old and its edges are not so sharp anymore but it did leave some residue on the edges. The line was a nice and thin V shaped one. Some post scribing cleaning is required certainly.   

I do change the blade in the Olfa P Cutter 450 (there are some spare ones inside the handle) but it is still the same set I had for 30 or so years!

The surgical tool is from last years Moson show, where a German vendor was selling it along with basically everything that one would use in an operating theatre! A bit bizarre but they had some interesting tools there. This one cost just few Euro and it is used by me occasionally. As said before every one has its own use. The surgical one is not so precise as the others and needs some clean up after scribing. After all it was not designed for plastic but for more bloody intrusions!

JgFPHbD.jpg

P4FBJxh.jpg

Hope this is of help.  Judge for yourself!

Best regards

Gabor  

• 3 weeks later...

Found the packing for the Mr.Paint scribers. They are actually called, waite for it, surprise, surprise: MR.SCRIBER. So now I know! :coolio:

Measured the lines. The Black one which is Mr.Sriber Narrow has a 0.15 mm wide blade. It is fairly fine with that U shaped line.

The Blue scriber is called Wedge and it has a 0.39 mm wide blade.

Now the interesting thing is that since the Narrow (Black) has U shaped line I think over all after painting it will be a slightly wider line but with better defined sides.

The V shaped line should have a dark wash accumulate only at the very bottom of the V and so resulting in a more narrow line. But of course this is all dependant on how much paint, varnish is used before a wash is added. And on how much of it is removed after wash is dried.  

Best regards

Gabor

I think the one that you labeled as Tamiya scriber is actually by Hasegawa

Tamiya's scriber looks like this:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10001618

vs

Hasegawa Trytool:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10037816

The Hasegawa one is awesome in my opinion ( There are 2 versions: avoid the black handle one. It is unstable when you try to scribe plastic)

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10037815

:cheers:

Hi JackMan,

You could be right based on those shop images. Will have to have a look, but I think it was in a Tamiya package all the way back more than 10 years ago when I got it. This was the reason why I identified it as the big T but I am getting very old  :foof:  so everything is possible  :)))  

I am very sorry if I made a mistake!

Will have a look if I can change the photo. Still will try to find the packaging. 

Yes, it is good tool but as said before they all have particular tasks on my workbench.

Actually the Tamiya one in that shop photo looks like a repack of the Olfa P Cutter with change of colour.  :))

Thanks for noting! :worship:

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

No worries, my friend :cheers:

Actually the Tamiya one in that shop photo looks like a repack of the Olfa P Cutter with change of colour

I think you are right. Olfa being a Japanese company.  I think Tamiya also does this with their airbrushes. Some of their HG (  High Grade) airbrushes are said to have been manufactured by Iwata but re-packaged under Tamiya's name.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, DFN said:

Any update of this great in progress ?

Best wishes from France

No, it is put to side for the moment. But it's bigger brother in 48th scale is advancing well. But of course that one will be a MiG-21 bis and there is a lot of work with it. :((

Best regards

Gabor

• 8 months later...