Fine Molds Me-410 (OOB) - not quite up to the hype

While many of my built WWII Luftwaffe planes are, in fact, “What-Ifs” or Luft ‘46ers, I do have a goodly number of actual Luftwaffe hardware in my stash as well. One type that I’d been eager to get a nice kit of was the Me-410, since it’s an unusual looking plane, as well as having something of a loser heritage that I just can’t resist.

I had a 1/48 Monogram years ago, but it was so big that I sold it to make some room. Since then, I’ve not seen a small kit of the -410 that I’ve wanted to get. That was until I ran into the Fine Molds one at a local show. For the price, I figured I could treat myself and get a nice kit of a cool, and real(!) plane.

Check out my out of box review below in case you’re thinking of snagging one yourself. However, just like the Luftwaffe, I wouldn’t get your expectations unjustifiably high…

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/fine-molds-me-410-a-1-b-1-out-of-box/

me-410-oob-001.jpg?w=360

Edited by Faust

I pretty much agree with your assessment of the kit as "mid-90s Hasegawa."  I think I got one around '96 or '97, although I've never built it.  I seem to recall that Fine Molds was originally an offshoot of Hasegawa.  

The biggest complaint I've heard about the FM 410 is that tge engine nacelles are undersized.  I don't know enough about the type to tell just by looking.   A review I read in something called a "magazine" (ask your parents,  kids) when the kit was first released mentioned that the one horizontal stabilizer is slightly higher than the other..might require a bit of fiddling to keep it from looking too lopsided.

SN

Hey Steve!

It seemed to me these things were just lauded all over the place when they came out, or maybe I just remember it that way? I just seem to recall people going gaga over getting a FineMolds kit, and I just don't get it. I didn't know it was actually an offshoot of Hase.... that's interesting!

That's possible, about the engine nacelles. Because there's no photos of the completed kit on the box (something else I hate), I won't really know until I build it. Of course, if it's a bit small, I won't really care. The stab thing, though... that bothers me. I guess it's good I got this one cheap!

I seem to recall reviews when the kit was originally released kind of echoed your sentiments..once folks got a detailed look at the kit, they were a bit underwhelmed.  Not that it's a bad kit..it's quite nice, it just didn't live up Fine Molds's reputation. Or maybe it's a case of people building up FM into something they're not.  I've got their Ki-10, and it's a similar case..nice, but with an almost limited run feel.  

FWIW, I also have several Fine Molds 1/72 Bf 109s, and those indeed live up to the hype.  I can't comment on accuracy..I'm not one of those 109-iacs who can spot a curve that's .001 degrees off or some dimension that's .001 mm short.  But I can say they're beautifully molded with flawless fit.

SN

I have their Ki-61 (I don't know what version... there's always some Otsu or Kai or -II or something on the end, I just know it's a Hien/Tony) and I feel it's the same as the -110. For $10, I'll take it (which I did) but for more than that... naw. 

I'm not a 109-hound either, but I swear the nicest ones I've ever seen are the Academy 1/72. Holy moly! Great detail, super, super fit and very fine, yet easy to assemble. I think Academy doesn't get enough love. Maybe because there's no 1/72 T-50 Golden Eagle yet...

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 of this kit, I remeber that somebody did the nacelles replacements but for my life can’t remember who. 

Any pointers?  I would be extremely interested in getting two sets of them. 

Thanks. 

I would be interested in those too. Only thing is i don`t think anyone ever did make replacement nacelles for this kit. Nit pickings will be nit pickings. I`m glad FM did this kit. I have one too many of these as with most of my kits. The Eduard kits are getting harder to find and i think the box art on the Eduard kits are pretty nice. That being said i like the Fine Molds boxes as well, but i see your point. Can`t always have it your way eh.   

I don't mean the kit is bad in any way, but it seems that FineMolds gets all kinds of hype, and, well, this one just wasn't worth it. 

It's passable enough, like most Tamiyas and Hasegawas I've seen. I've never been blown away by any of their kits, personally, given the price-per-scale ratio. I'd rather have Academy kits and, for all their engineering problems, Zvezdas are good for the price too. 

12 hours ago, breadneck said:

I would be interested in those too. Only thing is i don`t think anyone ever did make replacement nacelles for this kit. Nit pickings will be nit pickings. I`m glad FM did this kit. I have one too many of these as with most of my kits. The Eduard kits are getting harder to find and i think the box art on the Eduard kits are pretty nice. That being said i like the Fine Molds boxes as well, but i see your point. Can`t always have it your way eh.   

Yes , they were done...a small company in Germany, almost sure.