1/48 Revell Sabre "Hawk One Canada"

Hey folks.

This is one I bought at a Canadian Aviation Museum. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was the one in Edmonton, at the old Municipal Airport. The gift shop was selling a Revell kit, with resin "sugar scoops" and decals to do the Sabre that Vintage Wings in Gatineau painted up as Hawk One Canada.

This is the real thing. A good buddy of mine, pictured here, flew it into the airshow in Bagotville 3 years ago. He allowed me and my good buddy AX_365 to sit in it. 

3aLfr0Y.jpg

The big grin on my face is well-earned. Although the seat is from a Tutor (which Pierre from the above pic, and I, have thousands of hours flying), and the avionics are somewhat upgraded (Garmin), it is still THE classic jet fighter. My Uncle flew these jets, and so did AX_365's wife's uncle. I have been waiting to have adequate free time to do this model, and now with summer finally upon us, it's time.

uWwQc78.jpg

I will be posting some walkaround pics I took very soon.

ALF

Nice pics! I almost have my 1/72 Hobbycraft Canadair Sabre 6 GH done.

Could have used some good walk around pics! Is that kit, Revell 1/48,

actually the old Monogram kit? I had that, nice kit, hard wing with wing

fences if I remember correct. Will be watching with great interest!---John

4 hours ago, john53 said:

Nice pics! I almost have my 1/72 Hobbycraft Canadair Sabre 6 GH done.

Could have used some good walk around pics! Is that kit, Revell 1/48,

actually the old Monogram kit? I had that, nice kit, hard wing with wing

fences if I remember correct. Will be watching with great interest!---John

John, I confess I am really no expert on kit origin, nor on Sabre wings (which I do plan to rectify). I forgot to mention that the kit also comes with corrected wingtips and a bent pitot tube. I'll post some pics of the sprues soon; maybe you can help me confirm the kit's origin.

Thanks for looking in.

ALF

Thanks, I believe it is the Hasegawa kit. I just looked at the instructions

at Hobby Search. Doesn't remind me at all of the old Monogram kit. I

am liking the intake, and engine. Much better kit. Enjoy---John

As promised, here are some walkaround pics I took at the airshow in Bagotville. Not a careful job, but some pics that might help.

aGqEfWi.jpg

45oC48u.jpg

QqWrpj1.jpg

Y89YvYe.jpg

VNlwEMB.jpg

EBkWE9m.jpg

VQWjMjL.jpg

a815hAi.jpg

ALF

That kit you have was released by Dan Dempsey's brother Rick, who owns a company called Specialty Jets Unlimited.

It is a Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit. I should know who produced the decals for Specialty Jets, I don’t think it was Leading Edge.

Edit - you very likely bought it at the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton, they had a lot of them in stock. I think they still have stock. Rick supplied them with stock.

Edited by Scooby

Thanks! I will be adding the brace to the drop tank soon,

most helpful! Like that CF-188 in the back round.When's

Canada get it's Super Hornets? There is also a line opening

up for F-16 block 70s. Good planes.---John

12 minutes ago, john53 said:

Super Hornet is cancelled, our PM is likely shopping for a European product now, especially considering Canada/US relations are broken at the moment.

13 hours ago, Scooby said:

That kit you have was released by Dan Dempsey's brother Rick, who owns a company called Specialty Jets Unlimited.

It is a Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit. I should know who produced the decals for Specialty Jets, I don’t think it was Leading Edge.

Edit - you very likely bought it at the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton, they had a lot of them in stock. I think they still have stock. Rick supplied them with stock.

Exactly where I got it, Scooby. Nice to know Dan Dempsey's brother was behind that. No wonder he could get great references for the decals and instructions.

13 hours ago, john53 said:

Glad to help, John53. Never in a million years should Canada buy Super Hornets. It would be a huge mistake. Yesterday's technology tomorrow. Also, even new-block F-16s are passé. We need to buy the F-35. If the politicians continue to interfere with acquisition, we will not get what we need to properly defend Canada's interests. But then again, what would a retired CF-18 pilot know about this subject? 

ALF

On 6/23/2018 at 9:46 PM, Snowbird3a said:

You wanna 1/48 Tutor seat, PM me.

the wing tank/ pylons are further inboard than standard Sabre pylons.  I don’t have a measurement, just go by photos.

Tony

Thanks, Tony, for the heads up about the pylon placement. I can already see that the tank fins seem different from other Golden Hawks shots I have seen.

ALF

Edited by ALF18
Clarified.
3 hours ago, ALF18 said:

Exactly where I got it, Scooby. Nice to know Dan Dempsey's brother was behind that. No wonder he could get great references for the decals and instructions.

Glad to help, John53. Never in a million years should Canada buy Super Hornets. It would be a huge mistake. Yesterday's technology tomorrow. Also, even new-block F-16s are passé. We need to buy the F-35. If the politicians continue to interfere with acquisition, we will not get what we need to properly defend Canada's interests. But then again, what would a retired CF-18 pilot know about this subject? 

ALF

👍👍👍---John

22 hours ago, ALF18 said:

As promised, here are some walkaround pics I took at the airshow in Bagotville. Not a careful job, but some pics that might help.

Man, she sure is purty!

On 6/26/2018 at 8:54 PM, Scooby said:

If I recall correctly, Mike Grant was hired to do the decals......the sheet was sold separately at one point too...

Edited by RCAFFAN
On 6/27/2018 at 8:18 AM, ALF18 said:

a815hAi.jpg

ALF

Nice pics!  :thumbsup:

Do you have any more shots of the slat + slat-wells? Especially the access panel shots?

Thank you :cheers:

I remember that day.  That was a lot of fun, as it usually is.  I still recall the F-22 demo.  Wow!  I remember 'shoe horning' my can into a Hornet a few years ago and then getting into Hawk One last year and  being able to 'dance around'.  There was certainly more room in the Sabre than there was in the Hornet.  It was a thrill and a privilege being able to sit in both.

Nice choice of subject, ALF.  As a friendly reminder, Hawk One was a Sabre 5 fuselage with F-86F-40 wings with the 12" extensions.  If you plan to build this as the late Hawk One, and the kit has the F-40 wings, you won't need to perform any surgery to graft the resin or plastic wing tips.  As a reference...

38473126175_deaf6390aa.jpg

Look forward to your build, sire.

Mike

44 minutes ago, john53 said:

Most excellent slat shots!!!!! Sugar scoops? Thanks, most

helpful, wish I had these 6 months ago. ☹️---John

John,

Yes.  Hawk One had sugar scoop intakes.

28218172867_9e836ba487.jpg

Mike

Just a wee bit confused. I thought Mk 5 GH were hard wing with

fences and Mk 6 were slatted. So is this Hawk One an actual bird

that performed with the Golden Hawks or a rebuild? Sounds like it

is a combination of the two marks?----John

John,

The serial number for the fuselage is 23314 or construction number 1104 from Canadair.  It was a Sabre 5, with hard wing and fences, that was built in 1954 and flew operationally with 441 Sqn, 1 Wing, Marville, France.  It was seconded to the Golden Hawks as a training aircraft in late 1962.  I don't think it ever flew as an actual Golden Hawk.  When it was purchased by Vintage Wings of Canada, it already had the F-40 wings.  I don't know when those wings were retrofitted to the aircraft.  I understand the VWoC attempted to find a set of Sabre 5 / F-86F-30 wings with the fences but they were unable to do so, so the F-40 wings remained.  It also has the uprated Orenda 14 engine commonly used in the Sabre 6.  So, it is a rebuild with various upgrades and improvements.

Mike