U S Army Canadair Mk5?

From what I can gather it was operated by Flight systems as a drone and shot down over White Sands. Must have been for an army project, hence the titles. 

I also believe the tail was either orange or day-glo and that is just colour shift.

Sean

Just googled that and a member here at ARC built one.

"Johnopfor" built this one, dayglo orange. I like the pink

better, Tuskeegee airwomen?---John

um4Dc8L.jpg

Edited by john53

Here is a picture of a U.S. Army F-100. They were actually QF-100's and they were used as chase planes out at Holloman/White Sands area. Two of them ended up at the MD aviation Museum at Martin State Airport. They had teh camo and drone orange paint under the blue pint.

US Army QF-100F

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, john53 said:

I found this on line. Is it real or photoshopped?

An Army Canadair Mk 5 silver and pink? Any

after market decals?---John

Jl0EAII.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, martin_sam_2000 said:

From what I can gather it was operated by Flight systems as a drone and shot down over White Sands. Must have been for an army project, hence the titles. 

I also believe the tail was either orange or day-glo and that is just colour shift.

Sean

It's all true. FSI converted an F-86E to compete for a US Army contract for drones to be used for testing and development of air defense systems. The Army gave them the contract, however, all of the F-86s that they planned to use a AMARC were scrapped. As a result, FSI and the Army had to purchase a bunch of Canadair Sabre 5s to convert into the drone role. Technically, the Sabres were still "owned" by the Army, but were operated by FSI, hence the civilian registration numbers. They were officially known as F-86Es, and they also purchased about 6 - 8 Sabres from South Africa to augment the fleet. Most of the fleet survived, being replaced by QF-100 Super Sabres.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:37 AM, JackMan said:

Microscale sheet 48-115 has that scheme:

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/super/ss48115.htm

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, Murph said:

Wolfpak Decals covered that jet, and another QF-86, in 1/72 scale on sheet 12-17.  LINK

Regards,

Murph

MicroScale had those markings in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales (I used the 1/72 sheet), but they are getting hard to find. The Wolfpak Decals sheet was a "thank you" free sheet added to certain decal orders at the end of 2017. You can't get them from Wolfpak any more, you'll need to find someone with the sheet.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, martin_sam_2000 said:

Sean

Just color shift.  The QF-86s were painted using an automotive enamel called "Omaha Orange" from Dupont.   Evidently a close match is FS #12473.  LINK

Older and younger Sabre family members in faded QF paint...

Related image

Might make an interesting Group Build where you build any aircraft painted up and used for drone purposes. The list of candidates would be pretty extensive, ranging from single and multiengine props to jets and of course purpose built target drones like the Ryan Firebee...

File:Teledyne-Ryan-Firebee-hatzerim-1.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, Murph said:

Wolfpak Decals covered that jet, and another QF-86, in 1/72 scale on sheet 12-17.  LINK

Regards,

Murph

I just looked at the sheet and noticed a few errors......

The drones have no civilian registration numbers, something required since they were operated by a civilian company.

The date on the decal sheet is listed as "White Sands Missile Range 1981", that is wrong because in 1981, the drone would have looked completely different, since it was dispatched during Patriot Missile testing in April 1979.

http://www.arcair.com/Gal9/8401-8500/gal8404-F-86-Lanning/00.shtm

I used Insignia Red because that was imprinted on the instructions.

2 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

I just looked at the sheet and noticed a few errors......

The drones have no civilian registration numbers, something required since they were operated by a civilian company.

The date on the decal sheet is listed as "White Sands Missile Range 1981", that is wrong because in 1981, the drone would have looked completely different, since it was dispatched during Patriot Missile testing in April 1979.

http://www.arcair.com/Gal9/8401-8500/gal8404-F-86-Lanning/00.shtm

I used Insignia Red because that was imprinted on the instructions.

I think Mark based his scheme on the RT IPMS Canada article listed in the link I provided, which shows the drones operating without registration numbers.  It also lists the date for one of the options on the sheet ("Thumper") as 1981.

Regards,

Murph

8 hours ago, Murph said:

I think Mark based his scheme on the RT IPMS Canada article listed in the link I provided, which shows the drones operating without registration numbers.  It also lists the date for one of the options on the sheet ("Thumper") as 1981.

Regards,

Murph

He lists the dates for both drones as 1981, but according to the Article link to FSI that you provided, 23215 was dispatched over White Sands on April 27, 1979. The picture provided of 23215 in the IPMS Canada article was probably during or just after conversion in July, 1978. The FSI link provided shows 23215 with a repainted tail, civil registration and "Mickey Mouse" painted forward of he fuselage.